The generational shift

We are seeing the year of the generational shift in the nba. Just look at who failed to win a playoff series:

Curry/Thompson/Green

lebron/AD

Durant

harden/PG/Leonard 

Giannis/Lillard

Butler

Embiid 

the only guys with rings left are the nuggets and Kyrie Irving 

young teams like the Wolves, Thunder, Knicks, Pacers, Magic/Cavs, Celtics, Mavs are still standing. 

none of those teams are super teams. None of them are team ups for elite players. They were built in a traditional sense. 

they all used the draft, trades and free agency but outside the Mavs getting Irving, none of them really did anything crazy. You might could consider Mitchell to the Cavs on that level if you want to. 

this is a generational shift and either the nuggets repeat or someone get a legacy defining ring. 

the playoffs are all fun now. 

what impact will this have moving forward? Will teams be more cautious about older super teams?

Will teams realize that drafting well, signing and trading for potential stars is the way to go?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Will teams realize that drafting well, signing and trading for potential stars is the way to go?

I mean...is there another way that teams have been holding onto and are reluctant to do this? This seems pretty obvious.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I mean...is there another way that teams have been holding onto and are reluctant to do this? This seems pretty obvious.

Teams have been going all in on aging stars and creating super teams instead of investing in potential stars like Brunson and Haliburton. The Thunder took a chance on the potential of SGA. 

the days of stars teaming up when they couldn’t win alone, is hopefully finished. 

Pat Bev and Draymond talked about this. They said the young guys before would be timid and have respect for the older players. They said the new guys don’t give a f. They talk mad ish and they go after them hard. They just don’t care and talk mad crazy and back it up. They said they’re just faster, bigger and stronger. This new generation of stars is something else. The older guys love it because the new guys have a passion that’s welcomed and understood. 

• Like 1

I think the young guys wanna stay with their teams and not ring chase. I think the love of the game is back. I think these guys wanna compete and beat each other and not team up. Maybe after 10 years. But Front offices have done wonders. The fall of the warriors and small ball has helped a ton. The return of the bigs is a great thing for the NBA. 

9 hours ago, El Ramster said:

I think the young guys wanna stay with their teams and not ring chase. I think the love of the game is back. I think these guys wanna compete and beat each other and not team up. Maybe after 10 years. But Front offices have done wonders. The fall of the warriors and small ball has helped a ton. The return of the bigs is a great thing for the NBA. 

I agree with this a lot. I’ll even go a step further and say that if the wolves can beat the nuggets with Gobert guarding Jokic, then the need for defensive bigs will be elevated as well. 

Its a weird shift thought because most of those guys above it seems like are hurt....now maybe its an age thing but so many elite players missed alot of playoff games so its tough to say the new generation is knocking them all off so much as not needing to beat them

43 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Its a weird shift thought because most of those guys above it seems like are hurt....now maybe its an age thing but so many elite players missed alot of playoff games so its tough to say the new generation is knocking them all off so much as not needing to beat them

I'd say of that group, Giannis is the only one that I would blame on injury.  The rest are aging and not in great situations primarily because of their contracts.  I think the biggest thing is teams are showing that a big 3 with max deals and scraps filling in the holes is not a way to win in the NBA anymore.  The teams left in the playoffs all have better 4 through 8 than the teams with the big 3's and at the same time their top 2 or 3 aren't far behind if they are at all from the aging stars.  The Suns would have been better off spending Beal's money on two or three solid role players.  The Nuggets haven't replaced Bruce Brown and it has hurt their chances of repeating.  The Wolves are getting to the point they are going to have to suffer losses with Edwards contract taking off next year so they need to do all they can to win this year.  It is taking a full team to win in the NBA now and teams that manage the cap with fewer max deals like Boston are doing better.  Once you start paying a couple guys 45-50M its hard to get the right fits around them.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'd say of that group, Giannis is the only one that I would blame on injury.  The rest are aging and not in great situations primarily because of their contracts.  I think the biggest thing is teams are showing that a big 3 with max deals and scraps filling in the holes is not a way to win in the NBA anymore.  The teams left in the playoffs all have better 4 through 8 than the teams with the big 3's and at the same time their top 2 or 3 aren't far behind if they are at all from the aging stars.  The Suns would have been better off spending Beal's money on two or three solid role players.  The Nuggets haven't replaced Bruce Brown and it has hurt their chances of repeating.  The Wolves are getting to the point they are going to have to suffer losses with Edwards contract taking off next year so they need to do all they can to win this year.  It is taking a full team to win in the NBA now and teams that manage the cap with fewer max deals like Boston are doing better.  Once you start paying a couple guys 45-50M its hard to get the right fits around them.  

I think im

crazy but we kind of miss Bruce brown too. He would be great this series.. Just not sure why we traded him. He could be getting some quality mins. 

20 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Dallas messed up letting Brunson go in exchange for Kyrie.  He is on another level right now.

I don’t think Brunson becomes the player he is with Luka. they’re both ball stoppers. They wouldn’t flow and Brunson isn’t a great catch and shoot guy. He needs to cook. Kyrie is the perfect match just a shame he’s 32.