In depth look at the offensive line

19 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think having a top LT is also one of those things everyone wants and only a couple manage to find.  They don’t grow on trees. It’s not just a matter of drafting someone on day 2, let them sit a year and you’re aces.  The top guys are usually top picks and don’t hit FA.  

Bottom line - we were severely spoiled for 10,363 consecutive snaps.....

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Six weeks after I started this thread....

I am officially deeply concerned about our offensive line.

What has happened since? Quite a lot.

Interior OL (C/G) - Brian Allen was signed, imo as a luxury, to provide quality depth and veteran leadership at center. He was hurt, and has since been released. Then the real shot to the nads was Wypler going down for the season. Yes we brought Nick Harris back - but I was not sold on him as a center. Still trying to figure that one out.

Tackles - I am not going to sugar coat it - we's in deep doo doo here. Primarily at the LT position. I am really getting the feeling that the Browns are not enamored with Wills' efforts to get back on the field. I base that from listening to media members who, up until now, have staunchly defended Jed's signing as that $14M was the going rate for a LT. But lately, those same media members are now saying that his knee was scoped in December. Generally, the max. timeframe for that rehab is 6 months. We are now almost 9 months out - and he still hasn't been cleared to practice.......

I think there is something amiss here.

Where we are 2 weeks prior to the opening of the season - here is what I would do. I would tell Jed - don't worry about pushing yourself (which he does quite well) to come back. You are now OT #4 on the depth chart.

I would sign a VETERAN. Donovan Smith, DJ Humpries, David Bahktari - a competent, proven LT. Dawand starts at RT. Conklin is your swing tackle. This is not the time to try to play roster gymnastics and hope you catch lightning in a bottle with someone off the scrap heap.

This season is too important to leave in the hands of Wills. There may be a legitimate medical reason he is yet to be cleared to practice. If that is the case, he is of zero use to the Browns rn. Clock just struck midnight Jed.

Unless Wills is ready to return week 1/2 they need another option.  Not even salty at Jed, injuries are funny sometimes, but we need a better plan than Hudson at LT because he’s terrible at tackle.  I’ve thought he could be a G long term, but I’ve never seen tackle traits.

https://x.com/Ihartitz/status/1825611002702156041 

those type of stats shouldn’t be a thing with this OL 

• Like 1

I know they seem completely averse doing doing this, but I’d personally bump Bitonio out and play Hudson at G.  

I’d rather have two competent players at each position (which is what I think they’d be) than an elite LG and a LT who’s not capable of playing tackle on passing downs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I know they seem completely averse doing doing this, but I’d personally bump Bitonio out and play Hudson at G.  

I’d rather have two competent players at each position (which is what I think they’d be) than an elite LG and a LT who’s not capable of playing tackle on passing downs.

Bitonio is about to turn 33, an age when some LTs move to the interior. He has always done well bumping out but I'm worried father time may make that a little tougher now. I've never been a fan of Wills (minus his rookie season when I still had hope) and think Bitonio would still perform better than him at LT but I'd be concerned that he would be below average and the same for his replacement at LG.

Don't know until you see it though. Worth trying, at least at some point. It just doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

7 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Bitonio is about to turn 33, an age when some LTs move to the interior. He has always done well bumping out but I'm worried father time may make that a little tougher now. I've never been a fan of Wills (minus his rookie season when I still had hope) and think Bitonio would still perform better than him at LT but I'd be concerned that he would be below average and the same for his replacement at LG.

Don't know until you see it though. Worth trying, at least at some point. It just doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

You’re not wrong about his age and it definitely doesn’t give me any warm fuzzies, but Hudson has been a disaster in the pass game and unless Conklin or Wills are going to be ready, keeping Hudson penciled in as the starter for now is nuts.

Posted (edited)

That's why I have been banging the drum for a competent career LEFT tackle. I know your plan, LGB, is solid but it is a temporary plan at best.

One of the things I would be doing for a long term answer at LT, either in house or from the outside, is dedicate as many folks as needed to strictly study LTs who will be available in next year's draft or currently in the NFL. Probably rank them as what they would cost vs on the job training....

I know - I am making way too much sense again. But this is what scouting departments are supposed to do. There HAS to be someone available that can fortify our line.

Edited by brooks1957