Raider Offseason Workouts (Rookie minicamp, OTAs & more)

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

It would be funny if he was a beast and tore it up now that he’s healthy and not a rookie. All these clown posters were bashing him because he didn’t have 15 sacks as a rookie lol

There’s absolutely no reason he can’t, he’s and elite physical specimen at DE.

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

It would be funny if he was a beast and tore it up now that he’s healthy and not a rookie. All these clown posters were bashing him because he didn’t have 15 sacks as a rookie lol

Lol so because he took a cool pic showing off muscle (even tho he’s always been cut) he gonna beast it lol. His physical attributes was never the problem it was his technique or lack of. I can’t wait till the pads come on lolol 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

All these clown posters were bashing him because he didn’t have 15 sacks as a rookie lol

Trust me I’d loooove to be wrong about him and eat crow.  

I bashed him because the dude has a get-off slower than an octogenarian wearing ankle weights.  That was true in college and showed up again his rookie year-his injury certainly didn’t help the case either.

Not sure the bulking is going to help his processing or burst on the outside.  However, as an early down edge and passing down DT he might have some productivity.

Edited by 101Raider
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 101Raider said:

Trust me I’d loooove to be wrong about him and eat crow.  

I bashed him because the dude has a get-off slower than an octogenarian wearing ankle weights.  That was true in college and showed up again his rookie year-his injury certainly didn’t help the case either.

Not sure the bulking is going to help his processing or burst on the outside.  However, as an early down edge and passing down DT he might have some productivity.

Since day 1 I’d add him to the rotation at dt and just let him eat. Imo he’s too long and strong not to constantly win inside. Even with a slow get off. Plus being closer to the ball helps him retrain himself on get offs. Outside it’s way more responsibility (edge contain etc) plus you get the ot’s who have just as much arm length as Wilson which negates one of his best attributes. I forget who made the Calais Campbell comparison on draft night but imo that’s the best route for him.

• Like 3

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

Since day 1 I’d add him to the rotation at dt and just let him eat. Imo he’s too long and strong not to constantly win inside. Even with a slow get off. Plus being closer to the ball helps him retrain himself on get offs. Outside it’s way more responsibility (edge contain etc) plus you get the ot’s who have just as much arm length as Wilson which negates one of his best attributes. I forget who made the Calais Campbell comparison on draft night but imo that’s the best route for him.

I fully agree.  

• Like 1

It is absolutely valid to criticize Tyree for the lack of technique. I give him some slack because he did not have an offseason to work on his craft, was making the jump to the NFL, and if that wasn't chaotic enough, he was forced to play a lot of snaps early on. He did improve as the season went along. Still, you would think he'd have more skills in his bag considering he was the 7th overall pick.

I'm still optimistic and think he can be a force in the league based on his attributes and potential. If he doesn't show a big improvement this year, then I think he's destined for mediocrity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justwinning said:

It is absolutely valid to criticize Tyree for the lack of technique. I give him some slack because he did not have an offseason to work on his craft, was making the jump to the NFL, and if that wasn't chaotic enough, he was forced to play a lot of snaps early on. He did improve as the season went along. Still, you would think he'd have more skills in his bag considering he was the 7th overall pick.

I'm still optimistic and think he can be a force in the league based on his attributes and potential. If he doesn't show a big improvement this year, then I think he's destined for mediocrity.

This. We need him to be good to get to that next level on defense 

20 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

There’s absolutely no reason he can’t, he’s and elite physical specimen at DE.

Well, in theory I see where you’re coming from but I will say that there are currently several very big reasons why he hasn’t dominated and possibly won’t in future:

1) Very slow first step, lacks bend and explosion

2) Plays too high and his lack of leverage negates his obvious strength and power

3) Lack of pass rush plan and counter moves when bull rush doesn’t work 

Now, he should, with coaching improve points 2 and 3 relatively easily if he’s committed and his work ethic is as we’ve been led to believe. Point 1 is a difficult one as his body type generally isn’t a bendy, quick edge rusher type like a Malcolm Koonce.

Maybe he does his best work inside as a power rusher like an Arik Armstead or a Deforest Buckner type or maybe he’s just a solid base end that wins with power and chips in with less sacks as a compliment to Crosby and Koonce but is a brick wall in run defence?

Obviously hope he can live up to his hype and potential but this TC should give us an idea of what path he’ll likely take.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Well, in theory I see where you’re coming from but I will say that there are currently several very big reasons why he hasn’t dominated and possibly won’t in future:

1) Very slow first step, lacks bend and explosion

2) Plays too high and his lack of leverage negates his obvious strength and power

3) Lack of pass rush plan and counter moves when bull rush doesn’t work 

Now, he should, with coaching improve points 2 and 3 relatively easily if he’s committed and his work ethic is as we’ve been led to believe. Point 1 is a difficult one as his body type generally isn’t a bendy, quick edge rusher type like a Malcolm Koonce.

Maybe he does his best work inside as a power rusher like an Arik Armstead or a Deforest Buckner type or maybe he’s just a solid base end that wins with power and chips in with less sacks as a compliment to Crosby and Koonce but is a brick wall in run defence?

Obviously hope he can live up to his hype and potential but this TC should give us an idea of what path he’ll likely take.

This

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This. We need him to be good to get to that next level on defense 

it would help, sure. But this defense is going to be undone by a weak secondary. Hobbs is a decent nickel. Jones is solid 2. The other outside corner on the other side looks bleak. Bennett didn't show anything as a rookie. Facyson is what he is, a limited athlete with decent size. This unit is an injury to Hobbs or Jones away from being complete disaster. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

it would help, sure. But this defense is going to be undone by a weak secondary. Hobbs is a decent nickel. Jones is solid 2. The other outside corner on the other side looks bleak. Bennett didn't show anything as a rookie. Facyson is what he is, a limited athlete with decent size. This unit is an injury to Hobbs or Jones away from being complete disaster. 

True I didn’t think Bennett looked that bad tho I think he got some bad calls. I think Jack is a #1 just kinda lightweight. My biggest issue is speed on the back end. Epps is bbq chicken vs speed trey is ok but yea dbs esp safeties will be tested.