Rookie Minicamp Thread

Let's keep our minicamp talk here. According to some linked articles, it looks like Fautanu is starting at RT. That's to be expected. Hopefully he can make the transition better than some of our past experiments. It also stated that McCormick is running at RG. I feel like he'll get reps at all three interior spots. It kind of makes sense that he gets the majority at RG, as Daniels deal runs out sooner than Seumalo's. 

I am going to say this one more time...LOL I hope. Switching Troy to right tackle is a mistake. Jones was a raw guy who had to be shaped, and he was already transitioned to RT. To move him to the left side is a bad call, as he will be transitioning to LT while Fautanu is transitioning to both the pro game and a new side. It makes little sense to me, then you review the tape of Troy and it makes no sense at all. I am a little worried, as they seem to have mishandled some offensive linemen, in some manner or form, during the last few years. I won't blame them as much as some other fans on those recent players, but I am a little concerned about these types of decisions going forward. Bottom line, both Jones and Fautanu will have to do everything in 2024 the reverse of the way they did it for the majority of 2023, and the line will have a rookie center as its anchor to boot. With this reality and the tough schedule in front of them, we could definitely be looking at another slow start. 

1 hour ago, rlon said:

Switching Troy to right tackle is a mistake

I don't know that I would call it a mistake. We drafted two left tackles in the last two first rounds so someone had to move. My biggest issue is just how raw Jones is. He needed/needs time to develop to flip-flopping his position isn't a great idea. But if they move him back to the left and stick him there, then great. I just don't want them to start moving these guys back and forth. That would be the mistake IMO. 

I still wish we would have landed a startable RT in free agency to be able to allow for extra time, if needed. We don't have a swing tackle anyway if Moore can't play RT. Jones cannot be the starting LT and backup RT. That would be a big mistake too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I don't know that I would call it a mistake. We drafted two left tackles in the last two first rounds so someone had to move. My biggest issue is just how raw Jones is. He needed/needs time to develop to flip-flopping his position isn't a great idea. But if they move him back to the left and stick him there, then great. I just don't want them to start moving these guys back and forth. That would be the mistake IMO. 

I still wish we would have landed a startable RT in free agency to be able to allow for extra time, if needed. We don't have a swing tackle anyway if Moore can't play RT. Jones cannot be the starting LT and backup RT. That would be a big mistake too. 

After reading this, it’s clear who has screwed us…Dan Moore…lol. I do agree with the flip flopping being the worst approach. That’s primarily why I want Troy to compete against the established starter at LT. Then, Moore can’t blackmail the team with his ‘I only play left tackle skill set’. Move him to guard, that’s the move to me. But, then you have little tackle depth, as I don’t think Anderson is making the team. 

Before counting out the FA RB from Georgia, consider that his forty time is better than that of both Priest Holmes and Terrell Davis. I realized this as I scoffed at the idea of him making the team with that forty time…lol.

2 hours ago, rlon said:

Before counting out the FA RB from Georgia, consider that his forty time is better than that of both Priest Holmes and Terrell Davis. I realized this as I scoffed at the idea of him making the team with that forty time…lol.

Slower than Benny Snail. 

14 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Slower than Benny Snail. 

To be fair, it's probably the same as Najee's would've been if he had ran a 40. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2024 at 10:41 AM, LTF said:

To be fair, it's probably the same as Najee's would've been if he had ran a 40. 

Bell didn't have a great 40, but he had the OL for a while (here) and great vision , patience and cutting ability.  So much for the 40 yard dash.  I miss the OL and run game when Bell was healthy. 

Then to only try tolerate the recent regime  - for years  9_9

Bell also had a good 3 cone and a really good 10-split, so the lack of a good 40 time didn’t matter.  Supposedly Harris ran a 4.45 40 at Bama, which would have been as fast a Etienne, who was 4.43 at his pro day. Given Bell ran his 10 yard split as fast as Etienne, but a much slower (Bell 4.6) time than Harris is a touch unbelievable.

FWIW 10 yard splits:

Bell - 1.57

Etienne - 1.56

Harris - 1.69*

This would put Harris running his last 10 yards at 2.76 seconds which would be a record.  Just for reference Xavier Worthy, holder of the 40-yard record, covered his last 30 yards in 2.72 seconds (1.49 10 split, 4.21 40 yard).

Harris’s most common comparison is Derrick Henry, who ran a 4.54 40 with a 1.56 10 yard split.

Bell also had a good 3 cone and a really good 10-split, so the lack of a good 40 time didn’t matter.  Vvvv

Until he broke into the open and was routinely run down and tackled. Most overrated player in the modern Steelers era = Levon Bell. Simultaneously, he was one of the best receiving backs to play the game.