Detroit signs Jared Goff to 4 year extension worth $212 million/$170 M guaranteed

NVRamsFan

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 7:31 AM, StatKing said:

I respect the homerism but come on man be objective for like 2 seconds. You act like Jordan Love had an MVP level season. They had basically the same season statistically yet one is a potential top 3 QB and the other is a game manager? Is your definition of a game manager anyone who isn't a top 5 QB?

If you want to parse some stats we can do that all day. Here's one for you, Jordan Love had a 75 QB rating in the 4th quarter while Goff had a QB rating of 102. Does that mean Jordan Love is a frontrunner?

You are removing many contexts from the comparison

1. This was Love's 1st year starting, this was Goff's 8th year starting 

2. Lions have arguably the best OL in the league. Packers OL was a mess 1st half of the season after losing Bakh games 1. Much of Love's early struggles can be attributed to OL struggles. See Raiders game for example when Maxx Crosby was living in the backfield.

3. Lions have arguably the best run game in the league. Packers had a bottom tier run game for much of the year after Jones got hurt week 1 until he returned to form week 16

4. Lions had a much more experienced receiving core than the Packers. Every single WR and TE(Degurara was more of an H Back) Packers had last year was either a rookie or 2nd year player. 

Even with all the above variables favoring Goff, Love still statistically outproduced him in many areas and led his team to the playoffs when virtually no one had picked the packers to be a playoff team before the season started. 

If people want to wait to crown Love since he's only started one season, that's fine. But name me a QB that accomplished more with less last year? And in his 1st season starting none the less.  But we've seen what happened when Goff doesn't play in a stacked offense(1st year with the Lions), and now that's he's the 2nd highest paid QB in the league, it will be a lot harder to consistently keep the same talent level he currently has leading into the future. 

Edited by Mdpackfan22

20 hours ago, lavar703 said:

This has been going on forever. This isn’t some new phenomenon. Rob Johnson and Elvis Grbac got monster contracts for their time. QBs get paid. Mediocre to good ones get paid as well. That’s just the league. 

Yes but it's still a dumb logic....

You shoudn't have the biggest salary when you are not the best player. 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Stroud had a much better defense

Surrounding talent on offense for both teams about the same. 

Well Stroud didn't have as many first round picks, that's for sure.

Edited by General Tso

1 hour ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Stroud had a much better defense

Surrounding talent on offense for both teams about the same. 

Why would I possibly care about defense? Stroud and Love are QBs. If we want to go off the premise that their situations were virtually identical then that is fine. Stroud produced far better than Love did with the same situation, which invalidates your earlier claim.

What Love did last year was hardly special.

• Like 2

Just now, LeotheLion said:

Why would I possibly care about defense? Stroud and Love are QBs. If we want to go off the premise that their situations were virtually identical then that is fine. Stroud produced far better than Love did with the same situation, which invalidates your earlier claim.

What Love did last year was hardly special.

Stroud produced far better than Love? 

-Love had 36 TDs compared to 26 for Stroud 

-Love had a higher completion %

-Love had a higher QBR

In what world did Stroud far outproduce Love?

3 hours ago, Flounch said:

Yes but it's still a dumb logic....

You shoudn't have the biggest salary when you are not the best player. 

It’s not dumb logic. It’s how contracts work. He’s going to be surpassed by a bunch of QBs in the next few years. It’s no different than when Flacco signed his $20M deal and nobody could believe a player was making that much money. The cap will go up and so will salaries. 

3 hours ago, Jameson_Neat said:

Ah, so the 2022 Lions offense was stacked? Do tell.

-Top 3 OL

-Top 3 TE

-One of the best rushing attacks in the league 

-ARSB

Yeah the talent level on the Lions offense was pretty damn good in 2022

26 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

-Top 3 OL

-Top 3 TE

-One of the best rushing attacks in the league 

-ARSB

Yeah the talent level on the Lions offense was pretty damn good in 2022

Which TE is the top 3 one? 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2024 at 6:59 PM, lavar703 said:

This has been going on forever. This isn’t some new phenomenon. Rob Johnson and Elvis Grbac got monster contracts for their time. QBs get paid. Mediocre to good ones get paid as well. That’s just the league. 

You aren't wrong, but QB contracts have gotten so absurdly massive that paying a low end franchise QB the same amount as top tier guys just feels like a really bad decision.

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

It’s not dumb logic. It’s how contracts work. He’s going to be surpassed by a bunch of QBs in the next few years. It’s no different than when Flacco signed his $20M deal and nobody could believe a player was making that much money. The cap will go up and so will salaries. 

Just because "it happens" doesn't mean its smart.   Its not, and there are far more examples to support paying "lesser" QBs too much money being bad long term decisions (like the example you gave) than the opposite.

On 5/19/2024 at 9:11 AM, 43M said:

I hate the argument "He got paid market value".

Not all "franchise" QBs are created equal.   

This is like paying wagyu ribeye prices for a flank steak, and saying "Well, they're both steaks".

Nothing against Goff....but he is a merely solid-good QB in a really good situation, and it annoys me that this league has now gotten to a point where even fringe franchise QBs like Goff get paid on a similar level as ACTUAL top tier QBs.

And before someone calls me a hater or blah blah blah....Im happy for Goff. Good for him.   I just think its bad for the league.

I agree. 

There are two or three qbs that carry their team. 

Mahomes, Josh Allen and maybe Lamar. 

Everyone else has significant needs be it a line a defense or recieving core. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jameson_Neat said:

Which TE is the top 3 one? 

ARSB is also 24 now so I'm not sure why we only care about age when it comes to Packers players but when it comes to the Lions they're just all-pros and not young. I'm assuming he's calling Sam Laporta the top 3 TE but doesn't know that he was drafted in 2023 and was a rookie last year... Again ignoring his age and just calling him great.

Edited by nagahide13
  • Like 1