Jared Goff signed for additional 4 years/$212 Million

14 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

So really, its 2024 + 4 years = 5 years. This makes the average about $42M. 

That's a good contract for the team and for Goff. 

That's a good point. Will be interesting to see how the cap hits roll out

51 minutes ago, General Tso said:

That's a good point. Will be interesting to see how the cap hits roll out

Be shocked if there’s any years at 42 in there. Little positive spin attempt 

2 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

I think he had a cap hit of $36M this year. If you add that to the $212 and divide by 5, you're looking at $49.5 APY. So it's not quite the $42 but it's also not the $53M being talked about. 

58 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I think he had a cap hit of $36M this year. If you add that to the $212 and divide by 5, you're looking at $49.5 APY. So it's not quite the $42 but it's also not the $53M being talked about. 

But that’s not really how it works. Your using the existing year to lower the average to make it appear lower.  The roster for this season is pretty set so the cap hit is not all that relevant.  It’s the the higher number over the following 4 years that could hinder things.  There is a “5th year option “ so the contract could be some what backloaded into a year that he’ll never play under.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

But that’s not really how it works. Your using the existing year to lower the average to make it appear lower.  The roster for this season is pretty set so the cap hit is not all that relevant.  It’s the the higher number over the following 4 years that could hinder things.  There is a “5th year option “ so the contract could be some what backloaded into a year that he’ll never play under.  

There could be void years added to spread it out. There's over $50M not guaranteed either, so he may never even see some of that money. 

The Lions had kept a pretty solid amount of cap space for this year after free agency. They could adjust Goff's contract with an increase to his 2024 cap hit in order to absorb some of the future costs while they still have flexibility. I think that's how I broke it down when projecting an extension a few months ago. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

We have to see the numbers. There are QB contracts where the first few years are quite low. For example, Hurts' cap hit is 13M this year.

3 hours ago, HashtagFTW said:

Is it possible to love Goff but hate the fact that he's here for another 5 years? 

I sort of feel this way.  I love having a QB, still not sold he is the man, dont want to lose him but if we dont win it in the next two years I feel like he will hurt us more than help.  Glad this got done but somehow I am still torn on it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HashtagFTW said:

Is it possible to love Goff but hate the fact that he's here for another 5 years? 

These contracts always have an out about halfway through. He's probably only really our guy for sure for about 3-4 years. I think the talk is that Cousins' big 4 year deal is really 2 years + 2 option years. 

Goff has played at a top 5 level and earned the deal. He has this year with Ben Johnson and arguably have another 1-2 years to prove himself without BJ before we have to consider another option. 

Everytime there is a new contract there is always comments about front loading. That NEVER happens. I expect his cap hit will be low for the next two years then balloon up in year three.

I think it would have been funny that there was a clause in there that Ben has to take him when he moves on unless we want to keep him 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, HashtagFTW said:

If it is anything like the Kirk Cousins deal, the Lions will be able to move on after two years with a cap hit that is reasonable.  That is just speculation until the contract details drop.  If it reworks the 2024 part of his current contract it could create some significant cap space this year.  I am happy for Goff though.  Hopefully he helps the Lions climb the mountain and finally get the championship that has been so elusive for the franchise.

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 1

That's a lot of money, but I think that it's the right move. This team has entered a win-now window. Now is not the time to get cute and try to play games to save money or find a new QB. 

I may have felt differently had Goff not won a couple of playoff games for us, but he has proven that we can win with him. 

• Like 4