2024 schedule talk

On 5/15/2024 at 4:31 PM, Dcash4 said:

After week 6 our furthest trip is Washington DC. 

Not making an issue out of this, I just found it interesting, when I had recently looked at some national weather maps, that it looked like Cincinnati was actually further away from Pittsburgh, than DC is. Turns out, I did a quick google map search, just in generalities, not stadium to stadium, that Cincinnati is actually almost a 50 mile longer drive...who'd a thunk it?  I always figured Baltimore was furthest away from us, in our Division, but apparently not--it's about 40 miles shorter...unless we're talking actualy drive time, than I think it's a bit longer, but actual mileage.  In the case of Cincy to DC, it's shorter in both regards...

I know, information no one cares about--just thought it interesting...

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Not making an issue out of this, I just found it interesting, when I had recently looked at some national weather maps, that it looked like Cincinnati was actually further away from Pittsburgh, than DC is. Turns out, I did a quick google map search, just in generalities, not stadium to stadium, that Cincinnati is actually almost a 50 mile longer drive...who'd a thunk it?  I always figured Baltimore was furthest away from us, in our Division, but apparently not--it's about 40 miles shorter...unless we're talking actualy drive time, than I think it's a bit longer, but actual mileage.  In the case of Cincy to DC, it's shorter in both regards...

I know, information no one cares about--just thought it interesting...

I think they would fly for that and likely use BWI for both. 1h flight to BWI, 47 minutes to Cinci. I think I remember reading somewhere that Cleveland is the only game they drive to. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Make up my mind on what? That good teams will be good no matter when we play them? I haven’t wavered on anything. It doesn’t matter what week we play the chiefs, the ravens, the bengals, or the browns. Those WILL be tough games. 

It CAN matter that you catch teams early in the season when they have massive transitions, specifically at key areas. Again, great you think Kirk will be 100%… new HC, OC, and DC! That matters!! First time play calling OC Vs 6th year Arthur Smith. Morris calling defense with dudes he just met Vs Tomlin/austin with Watt, Minkah, Highsmith, cam, JPJ.  I’ll take that all day in week 1. 

What would you rather do, switch a more established teams like the Eagles to open the season? Then get a Falcons team with 14 weeks under their belt? Sounds like a better way to lose two games that it does to improve our schedule.

The only point Ive made from the beginning of this discussion which you don't seem to get is the short week games. Ive repeated and said again and again I even gave an example of a scenario that would make a difference to my concern but your stuck on playing Bo Nix in week 2 vs week 7.  

Ooooh Bo Nix.. anyway. On to Cincinnati. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

Posted (edited)

Games/Teams that were supposed to be easy last year when you looked at the schedule.. Essentially sure wins before start of the season.. 

Week 4 Houston ...they should've had the #1 overall pick but even blew that opportunity .. Lost 30-6 to a depleted Oline and a young rookie QB in his 4th game and WR corps under a new HC, new OC 

Week 6 Rams ...Rams were depleted they had basically Aaron Donald on defense and a bunch of no names and rookies. Held on to win this game but it was very competitive.  

Week 12 Arizona ...Got embarrassed again by a 2-10 team, not just lost but embarrassed 24-10

Week 13 Not necessarily as easy going into the season but a plus game opportunity. New England (3-10) with Bailey Zappe starting his second game. Lost 21-18 to a team that scored 13 points total in its 3 previous games. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1

I just look at all the stuff from PFF and Warren Sharpe saying not just who we play but the structure of the schedule being one of the historically most difficult schedules and can’t see a positive in that. Lol

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

The only point Ive made from the beginning of this discussion which you don't seem to get is the short week games. Ive repeated and said again and again I even gave an example of a scenario that would make a difference to my concern but your stuck on playing Bo Nix in week 2 vs week 7.  

Ooooh Bo Nix.. anyway. On to Cincinnati. 

I absolutely understand the short week thing. But it's a product of the NFL and being a popular team. No ones screwing us. All teams play on Thursdays, multiple teams (like the entire AFC North) play multiple week day games. All after week 10. The Bengals have 7 weeks in between theirs, the Steelers 6, the Browns 5 (both division games!). The Chiefs play on 6 days of the week this year, including the Friday 5 weeks before seeing us on Christmas. 

I get what you are saying with the timing of them and playing the Ravens, but that's the catch -- there are NO easy outs on this schedule. The ones that we do have you have already claimed are trap games, so we can't get away from complaints. We have known it was going to be be the hardest schedule by opponent since the year ended. So while the end of the schedule really does suck, I think your just trying to rob peter to pay paul. Not sure why you are stuck on the Bo Nix thing, we SHOULD beat him any week of the season, but I know you are smart enough to realize that every week he gains experience and every week Sean Payton learns more about him they get better. So why not have a desire to get that guy in game 2? Makes no sense to me not to want that. 

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Games/Teams that were supposed to be easy last year when you looked at the schedule.. Essentially sure wins before start of the season.. 

Week 4 Houston ...they should've had the #1 overall pick but even blew that opportunity .. Lost 30-6 to a depleted Oline and a young rookie QB in his 4th game and WR corps under a new HC, new OC 

Week 6 Rams ...Rams were depleted they had basically Aaron Donald on defense and a bunch of no names and rookies. Held on to win this game but it was very competitive.  

Week 12 Arizona ...Got embarrassed again by a 2-10 team, not just lost but embarrassed 24-10

Week 13 Not necessarily as easy going into the season but a plus game opportunity. New England (3-10) with Bailey Zappe starting his second game. Lost 21-18 to a team that scored 13 points total in its 3 previous games. 

Not sure what any of this has to do with schedule alignment. Just like your Washington comments about being a trap game, you are talking coaching not logistics. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Warren Sharp saying not just who we play but the structure of the schedule being one of the historically most difficult schedules and can’t see a positive in that

We were his number 1 hardest schedule by projected win totals . Have been since the end of the season( Warren's post from April 15th). So we went from having the hardest schedule before the calendar release to seeing the alignment and .....still having the hardest schedule. 

Play around on a randomizer fellas, I don't think you will ever get a schedule you are happy with. There was never going to be anything that made this schedule easy...but IMO there are things that do play to our benefit. 

15 hours ago, VigilantZombie said:

Whomever the schedule makers are did the Steelers dirty.

The chances we beat KC off a short week after Baltimore, well they aren't good. 6 division games in the final 8 games...wtf?

It’s all done by an AI algorithm now although they can force some things to happen. 

One thing Connor Orr and Steelers Depot brought up in combined articles is the other place this did us no favors is that we’re one of the more interesting teams this year with the change in the offense and a constantly high performing defense. If we come out sluggish early then it can be door closed on our season before the bye week. Effectively our late gauntlet could be for nothing and we end up becoming the late in season win for teams. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2024 at 6:46 PM, VigilantZombie said:

Whomever the schedule makers are did the Steelers dirty.

The chances we beat KC off a short week after Baltimore, well they aren't good. 6 division games in the final 8 games...wtf?

this 10-7 team will be much different than the 23 team  of the same record.    Last year was an easy schedule and then look at the 24 seasons schedule.  Much different and while this team should be much better, the record won't show it

13 hours ago, 3rivers said:

this 10-7 team will be much different than the 23 team  of the same record.    Last year was an easy schedule and then look at the 24 seasons schedule.  Much different and while this team should be much better, the record won't show it

I think if we can go  10-7 with this schedule we'll make some noise in the playoffs.