49ers and RB Christian McCaffrey Agree to a New Deal

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

2 years extension with 19M AAV. 

Spread over the original contract as well. 

I'd wager this ultimately comes out to something in the 15-16 range? I think he was at like 12 in terms of base salary. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Spread over the original contract as well. 

I'd wager this ultimately comes out to something in the 15-16 range? I think he was at like 12 in terms of base salary. 

Mostly looked like he just wanted the guaranteed money, and I don't blame him.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Christian McCaffrey won the NFL’s offensive player of the year award while handling more touches than any player in the league, so the running back provided the 49ers with both quality and quantity on the field.

49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan hinted that they might like to dial back the quantity a bit as they try to maintain the quality during the 2024 season. While speaking to reporters from the team’s offseason workouts this month, Shanahan said that the team thinks they have enough depth to give other players a run in place of McCaffrey at points this season.

Shanahan: “We have guys that can run the ball. We have to protect Christian from himself. He doesn’t like to ever come out no matter what the situation is and I do think that’s something we could protect him with more. When you are such a threat in the pass game, it’s a little bit different. But if he’s just taking the wear and tear with 20 carries and stuff every game — and he’s definitely good enough to do that and he has proved he can stay healthy — but you’d like to take some of that off of him and give it to other guys also.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kyle-shanahan-christian-mccaffrey-doesnt-like-to-come-out-we-could-protect-him-more

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2024 at 9:45 AM, vike daddy said:

Christian McCaffrey won the NFL’s offensive player of the year award while handling more touches than any player in the league, so the running back provided the 49ers with both quality and quantity on the field.

49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan hinted that they might like to dial back the quantity a bit as they try to maintain the quality during the 2024 season. While speaking to reporters from the team’s offseason workouts this month, Shanahan said that the team thinks they have enough depth to give other players a run in place of McCaffrey at points this season.

Shanahan: “We have guys that can run the ball. We have to protect Christian from himself. He doesn’t like to ever come out no matter what the situation is and I do think that’s something we could protect him with more. When you are such a threat in the pass game, it’s a little bit different. But if he’s just taking the wear and tear with 20 carries and stuff every game — and he’s definitely good enough to do that and he has proved he can stay healthy — but you’d like to take some of that off of him and give it to other guys also.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kyle-shanahan-christian-mccaffrey-doesnt-like-to-come-out-we-could-protect-him-more

It's easy to talk about "dialing it back" on July 1st.  Its the 3rd and 4, or the first and 10 on Sunday October 12th where this sentiment will be forgotten about.  There might be a way to work in guys for early down work though, but CMC is so good at everything that it is hard to put someone else in.  It was the same thing with Frank Gore.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 2