TAPT Version 71.0 Kent Branstetter never votes for an incumbent

12 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

If you're going to watch any Olympics event that you don't really understand, the Mixed Team Judo event was f'ing incredible drama.

I saw there is now a 4x100 mixed relay with 2 men and 2 women. Not a track and field guy but when did this become a thing? I watched a replay of the race this AM. That woman from the Netherlands was crazy in the last leg. 

If you told me 10 years or more ago, it would not surprise me. Track and Field is not my thing, and I have no idea why I watched that replay. 

Edited by Old Guy

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Not a track and field guy but when did this become a thing

The Olympics started adding mixed team events in Tokyo I think, and it's just a trend that has continued.  Like in Artistic Swimming (formerly Synchronized Swimming) you're allowed up to two dudes on your team (presumably to enable more lifts).

Like that viral image of the Turkish guy in the air pistol event was from mixed doubles air pistol.

Broadly it's an attempt to gin up participation in women's sports in places that traditionally didn't invest much in it.  Like Mongolia has had a very successful men's judo program for a while, but they basically did not have a women's judo program so with the advent of the mixed team event (which is 3 men and 3 women on a team, all of whom have to qualify as individuals) they had to create one out of whole cloth.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

47 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The Olympics started adding mixed team events in Tokyo I think, and it's just a trend that has continued.  Like in Artistic Swimming (formerly Synchronized Swimming) you're allowed up to two dudes on your team (presumably to enable more lifts).

Like that viral image of the Turkish guy in the air pistol event was from mixed doubles air pistol.

Broadly it's an attempt to gin up participation in women's sports in places that traditionally didn't invest much in it.  Like Mongolia has had a very successful men's judo program for a while, but they basically did not have a women's judo program so with the advent of the mixed team event (which is 3 men and 3 women on a team, all of whom have to qualify as individuals) they had to create one out of whole cloth.

I thought that mixed relay was a cool idea and pretty good TV. 

Mixed relays are fun.  I saw a swimming mixed relay the other day, I don't know what event it was from, but it is neat to watch.  It takes some interesting strategy because the men are going to be faster than the women. Do you want to put the two men up first and hope to make an insurmountable lead? Do you want to anchor with two men trying to catch up? Do you put your fastest woman last and hope she can hold off the men on the final sprint, presumably with a lead?

On 8/3/2024 at 12:38 PM, Mazrimiv said:

USWNT and Simone Biles have been the only things I've made time to watch.

Today's men's 100m final was closer than any Olympic race I can remember.  All 9 racers were hauling ***.  

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Today's men's 100m final was closer than any Olympic race I can remember.  All 9 racers were hauling ***.  

In Rio there was a tie in the women's 100m free, with both Penny Oleksiak and Simone Manuel swimming 52.70.  But since you can use the super-high speed cameras at the tape and go frame by frame, ties in track are rarer.  The last one I can remember was in 2008 where the 100m for women had 3 Jamaicans on the podium but two were tied for silver.

14 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Mixed relays are fun.  I saw a swimming mixed relay the other day, I don't know what event it was from, but it is neat to watch.  It takes some interesting strategy because the men are going to be faster than the women. Do you want to put the two men up first and hope to make an insurmountable lead? Do you want to anchor with two men trying to catch up? Do you put your fastest woman last and hope she can hold off the men on the final sprint, presumably with a lead?

Where they all doing the same swimming stroke? 

In the mixed track relay, it was mandatory: man, woman, man, woman. 

I also love how the swimmers are calling out the Chinese for cheating. 

10 hours ago, thrILL! said:

That was a crazy race. I didn't realize your torso had to cross the line first, which is why the American won. The Jamaican guy definitely had part of his body cross the line first. 

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

That was a crazy race. I didn't realize your torso had to cross the line first, which is why the American won. The Jamaican guy definitely had part of his body cross the line first. 

It's different from sport to sport.  Like in speed skating it's "any part of your body"  so you get people reaching their foot out real far to try to outlean somebody.

I think part of the reason "torso" in track is that historically there was an actual tape at the finish line and you want to represent breaking the tape with something other than your hands/feet.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Where they all doing the same swimming stroke? 

In the mixed track relay, it was mandatory: man, woman, man, woman. 

I also love how the swimmers are calling out the Chinese for cheating. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBKcMmgG_JI&ab_channel=NBCSports

Here the US sets a world record in the mixed medley.  Just edges the Chinese.  What is really fascinating is looking at the third leg of the race where the Austrailian man makes up all kinds of ground on the US and China, who both went MMWW, while I believe Austrailia went MWMW.

edit:  Also, I believe that they have set strokes to use on each leg, but it doesn't matter which sex does which stroke.

Edited by ThatJerkDave

14 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

edit:  Also, I believe that they have set strokes to use on each leg, but it doesn't matter which sex does which stroke.

The reason the swimming medley has set strokes is that you need to start in the pool for the backstroke, whereas for the other three strokes you can dive in and go.

• Like 1