Nacho Simulation Football League (Season 28 - Week 15 Posted)

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

The secret to my wins in the league has been to utilize actual FBs in their proper role.

Start playing tag games and RNGesus will smite thee.

This is 100% accurate. Everyone must believe this and comply.

38 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

This is 100% accurate. Everyone must believe this and comply.

My championship year I was playing Tag games at FB but I grabbed a FB for the playoffs. Well it was Josh Oliver but true blocking TEs usually do well at FB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LAOJoe said:

My championship year I was playing Tag games at FB but I grabbed a FB for the playoffs. Well it was Josh Oliver but true blocking TEs usually do well at FB.

Wait, late FA-pick-up-from-the-scrap-heap-TE Josh Oliver? No way. Couldn't be. It had nothing to do with your great QB and stacked team. It's all about that FB. (How convincing is this? I need people to believe it.)

• Like 1

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Wait, late FA-pick-up-from-the-scrap-heap-TE Josh Oliver? No way. Couldn't be. It had nothing to do with your great QB and stacked team. It's all about that FB. (How convincing is this? I need people to believe it.)

Spoiler

No one believes you Monica 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

It made a difference. I probably lose to Greenland without him.

47 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

It made a difference. I probably lose to Greenland without him.

See, I sort of find stuff like that a bit silly. (Not you, but the sim.) It's just such a crap shoot.

Josh Oliver: 1 carry for 0 yards (0.00 YPC, 0 LNG), 0 touchdowns.
Josh Oliver: 3 receptions for 34 yards (11.33 YPR, 17 LNG), 0 touchdowns, 1 fumble.

Q2, 1:26, 3rd & 5 on the GRE 38: Aaron Rodgers throws the ball deep and completes to Josh Oliver for 17 yards. Fumble on the play, forced by Tyson Campbell, recovered by Josh Oliver, who runs for 15 yards.

Realistically speaking, the fumble is brutal, and the fact that he recovered it and returned it for anything is sort of a miracle. Without the recovery, it's a drive-killer at the end of the first half on a sequence that led to 7 points. His 0-yard carry was a 1st down attempt on a drive where they settled for a FG three plays later. Worst of all, he had zero pancakes. Zero.

I don't really believe that that performance shows anything in any sort of convincing manner. If we want to take something from it, it's that a great TE that doesn't fumble the ball is the move at FB.

19 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

See, I sort of find stuff like that a bit silly. (Not you, but the sim.) It's just such a crap shoot.

Josh Oliver: 1 carry for 0 yards (0.00 YPC, 0 LNG), 0 touchdowns.
Josh Oliver: 3 receptions for 34 yards (11.33 YPR, 17 LNG), 0 touchdowns, 1 fumble.

Q2, 1:26, 3rd & 5 on the GRE 38: Aaron Rodgers throws the ball deep and completes to Josh Oliver for 17 yards. Fumble on the play, forced by Tyson Campbell, recovered by Josh Oliver, who runs for 15 yards.

Realistically speaking, the fumble is brutal, and the fact that he recovered it and returned it for anything is sort of a miracle. Without the recovery, it's a drive-killer at the end of the first half on a sequence that led to 7 points. His 0-yard carry was a 1st down attempt on a drive where they settled for a FG three plays later. Worst of all, he had zero pancakes. Zero.

I don't really believe that that performance shows anything in any sort of convincing manner. If we want to take something from it, it's that a great TE that doesn't fumble the ball is the move at FB.

It was for the blocking. Nothing more. Pancakes or not I saw a drastic improvement when I put him in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adamq said:

How did his running game look in that game?

Not good:

Aaron Jones: 24 carries for 66 yards (2.75 YPC, 7 LNG), 1 touchdown, 2 fumbles.
Joe Mixon: 5 carries for 37 yards (7.40 YPC, 24 LNG), 0 touchdowns.

After ending the S26 regular season with a 4.61 YPC, Aaron Jones managed only 2.75 during the Taco Bowl. Then, we've got this from Mixon:

Q1, 10:57, 1st & 10 on the GRE 45: Joe Mixon rushes up the middle and stuffed for a loss of 2 yards. Tackle made by D.J. Jones.
Q1, 4:06, 2nd & 6 on the 50: Joe Mixon rushes to the outside for a gain of 6 yards. Tackle made by Harold Landry.
Q2, 13:18, 1st & 10 on the HAM 37: Joe Mixon rushes up the middle for a gain of 6 yards. Tackle made by Jordyn Brooks.
Q4, 11:47, 1st & 10 on the HAM 32: Joe Mixon rushes to the outside for a gain of 24 yards. Tackle made by Derwin James.
Q4, 5:57, 1st & Goal on the GRE 9: Joe Mixon rushes up the middle for a gain of 3 yards. Tackle made by T.J. Edwards.

Mixon carried the ball only five times and a 24-yard gain salvaged what was otherwise a 3.25 YPC performance. As he didn't have a pancake, Oliver wasn't credited with a key block on that 24-yard gain.

I'm just sayin': we can't look at that game and conclude that starting Oliver at FB was a benefit in the sim, or that his performance was key to the victory. It, honestly, seems clear that the running game struggled, he (Oliver) offered nothing on the ground and bailed himself out by recovering his own fumble. I have to think that a legitimate RB would offer more than that if started at FB.

• Like 2

He got 3 pancakes in his 2 playoff games and didn't allow a sack. Mixon had like 5 all season at FB, although he did get one vs Anchorage in the playoffs. I was riding my QB more as I should. I didn't care about his own yardage and run blocking. All I needed was one or two key plays more by giving Rodgers some time. It went to OT. If I played Mixon I might get a little better yards if he gets the ball but I'm likely going 3 and out at the worst time and I'm sure the sim does not show that impact in any personal stats.

Edit: I did play Mixon. I sat Bijan and Hall.

Edited by LAOJoe

41 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

He got 3 pancakes in his 2 playoff games and didn't allow a sack. Mixon had like 5 all season at FB, although he did get one vs Anchorage in the playoffs. I was riding my QB more as I should. I didn't care about his own yardage and run blocking. All I needed was one or two key plays more by giving Rodgers some time. It went to OT. If I played Mixon I might get a little better yards if he gets the ball but I'm likely going 3 and out at the worst time and I'm sure the sim does not show that impact in any personal stats.

Edit: I did play Mixon. I sat Bijan and Hall.

By the way: I wasn't being critical. I just find this stuff about the sim fascinating.

Unless your FB is putting up absurd stuff totals, I have to think that the rushing/receiving production (and ball security), combined with the crazy tag savings, is far more valuable. And, hey, perhaps the move is rotating to save tags during the regular season, then switching to a true FB for the playoff stretch. That sounds like it might be the best of both worlds.

But, as it stands, keeping Josh Jacobs, Isiah Pacheco, Travis Etienne and Sam LaPorta for only 1 tag each for the foreseeable future while getting 21 starts at RB, 15 starts at FB, 5 starts at TE and 5 starts at WR for those 4 tags seems like a great decision, especially when you're locked into spending 4 on a QB.

• Like 1

Just now, rackcs said:

Love my HC getting autodrafted lol thought I could wait on him till my last pick but oh well

Vrabel?

It's interesting, because Antonio Pierce was picked first, but changed to Mike Vrabel. (Not a big deal, and probably just an auto-draft mistake, but I thought I was going crazy for a second.)

• Like 1