Which Young RB Would You Want To Trade a Conditional Pick For?

Which Young RB Would You Want To Trade a Conditional Pick For?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. So who would you like to trade for to get a shot to be your new RB1? Most these promising 2023 RBs have fallen in their respective depth charts and could be had for cheap.

• Israel Abanikanda
    • Sean Tucker
    • Isaiah Spiller
    • Zach Evans
    • Kenny McIntosh

This list doesn’t feel like the group of guys Dallas would think about. For most of of them, Dallas passed on these guys in the draft a year ago, and they went onto mediocre rookie campaigns. I don’t see why Dallas would be interested now.

Spiller is different from the rest. They maybe liked him once upon a time, but he’s gone on to actually prove he’s not a dude in the NFL. So doubt it there, too.

On 6/12/2024 at 6:02 PM, plan9misfit said:

No

Yeah…

He was a 5th round pick that rushed for 70 yards on 22 carries as a rookie. He was a healthy scratch for 11 games. The Jets just decided to draft over him already, selecting not 1, but 2 running backs in the draft this year.

On what planet does he justify sending the Jets a pack of saltine crackers?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I mean, I'm not thrilled with any of these options. But if these are the only choices, Abanikanda is the only real option to pick. He has burst, vision, balance and has actually shown it consistently when given the chance. The others have shown stuff as well in just as limited chances, but with much less consistency. 

Jerry should have kept his mouth shut during the draft. Saying not once, but twice, that Jonathan Brooks was "high high high" on their draft board just put a target on the Dallas selection as to where they need to get ahead of to ensure selecting him. Carolina may still have jumped up for him, but it seems less likely so if they weren't aware that he would certainly be gone if he got to Dallas' pick. And since Jerry, Stephen and Will never trade up anymore, it was no secret that Dallas was not going to move around to get him.

But he would have been the perfect fit to both this running/blocking system and to the passing offense design. Aaron Jones meets Todd Gurley in a happy medium of both worlds. 

In losing out on Brooks, I don't think there were any other Runners available that fit so well. Others that could have made an impact for absolute certainty; but none that fit the offense as a whole quite as well. But thats where I also think, out of the options listed here, that Abanikanda could be the only real choice. He would fit the blocking and passing systems in the same fashion, just with less explosive talent.

What Dallas should be looking to do instead of trading a late or conditional pick for some roster fodder in hopes the dart they throw hits a bullseye, is make a move for a veteran guy who is due for a big payout in the next season or two. Kind of a rental. Sure, they may get stuck in a similar fashion to which they are with CD right now, but it's far more affordable to pay out for a 2-3 year RB contract anyway. A short rental of someone like... well damn. Now that I think of it, there aren't really options like this to think of. Mostert? Maybe, he has game breaking speed but wouldn't be an ideal fit. Deejay Dallas or any of those Seattle guys? All look the part when they are healthy - but none actually stay healthy. The Washington kid who got shot in the leg and made it back, whatever his name is. Definitely a 3 down capable guy with balance and power, maybe not the speed to split safeties on a home run sprint but, he would be a fit. I'd want more experience and certainty in the guy though. Kamara is on suspension and dealing with some troubles, and had some issues with the Saints staff going into the offseason. He would be a good fit and probably the best choice in this totally-not-gonna-happen scenario, especially since he would come cheaper on a trade given both age and suspension. Najee Harris is also another solid fit for the designs here, and an obvious three down ball carrier, who's gotten a very bad rap the last two years running behind some of the worst blocking in the league. Could revitalize his young career, and really boost the offense with a solid runner who catches well, moves piles, and has the shiftyness to make guys miss all in one tough little package. Hmm. Yeah, I guess in this definitely-not-happening scenario, Harris would be the smartest choice, but Kamara the fancier and less risky choice.

I 'unno guys. I get that RBs havent been the premier offensive focus for a long time now. But you still need a consistent ground game to succeed. A good one helps more. But a poor one will result in heavily inflated passing numbers that look like your offense is killing it--but in reality, it will also lead to a lot of struggles closing out tight games or beating any team with an above average pass rush. I've said it before, I'll keep on damn saying it, too. You don't need a top back to win anymore, and rushing yards gained is no longer a typical indicator of who won the game. But without a back capable of neutralizing pass rushers and enabling play action, without a back capable of at least making a defense keep 6 in the box 40-50% of the time (it is rarely 7 anymore, but against bad rushing teams, you'll see as little as 5 all too often) and without a back capable of at least 1 first down per drive so it's not all on the passing game, you will struggle to win EVERY SINGLE WEEK. You need the complete package because of what the ground game does for your passing game. Because of how it even benefits your defense. Because of how it forces other defenses to not sell out on a four-wide front with extra DBs to make your QBs life miserable. It is just too important. And if one thing holds this team back this year, it is going to be this very position.

<end of rant>

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2024 at 12:17 PM, Dallas94Ware said:

I mean, I'm not thrilled with any of these options. But if these are the only choices, Abanikanda is the only real option to pick. He has burst, vision, balance and has actually shown it consistently when given the chance. The others have shown stuff as well in just as limited chances, but with much less consistency. 

Jerry should have kept his mouth shut during the draft. Saying not once, but twice, that Jonathan Brooks was "high high high" on their draft board just put a target on the Dallas selection as to where they need to get ahead of to ensure selecting him. Carolina may still have jumped up for him, but it seems less likely so if they weren't aware that he would certainly be gone if he got to Dallas' pick. And since Jerry, Stephen and Will never trade up anymore, it was no secret that Dallas was not going to move around to get him.

But he would have been the perfect fit to both this running/blocking system and to the passing offense design. Aaron Jones meets Todd Gurley in a happy medium of both worlds. 

In losing out on Brooks, I don't think there were any other Runners available that fit so well. Others that could have made an impact for absolute certainty; but none that fit the offense as a whole quite as well. But thats where I also think, out of the options listed here, that Abanikanda could be the only real choice. He would fit the blocking and passing systems in the same fashion, just with less explosive talent.

What Dallas should be looking to do instead of trading a late or conditional pick for some roster fodder in hopes the dart they throw hits a bullseye, is make a move for a veteran guy who is due for a big payout in the next season or two. Kind of a rental. Sure, they may get stuck in a similar fashion to which they are with CD right now, but it's far more affordable to pay out for a 2-3 year RB contract anyway. A short rental of someone like... well damn. Now that I think of it, there aren't really options like this to think of. Mostert? Maybe, he has game breaking speed but wouldn't be an ideal fit. Deejay Dallas or any of those Seattle guys? All look the part when they are healthy - but none actually stay healthy. The Washington kid who got shot in the leg and made it back, whatever his name is. Definitely a 3 down capable guy with balance and power, maybe not the speed to split safeties on a home run sprint but, he would be a fit. I'd want more experience and certainty in the guy though. Kamara is on suspension and dealing with some troubles, and had some issues with the Saints staff going into the offseason. He would be a good fit and probably the best choice in this totally-not-gonna-happen scenario, especially since he would come cheaper on a trade given both age and suspension. Najee Harris is also another solid fit for the designs here, and an obvious three down ball carrier, who's gotten a very bad rap the last two years running behind some of the worst blocking in the league. Could revitalize his young career, and really boost the offense with a solid runner who catches well, moves piles, and has the shiftyness to make guys miss all in one tough little package. Hmm. Yeah, I guess in this definitely-not-happening scenario, Harris would be the smartest choice, but Kamara the fancier and less risky choice.

I 'unno guys. I get that RBs havent been the premier offensive focus for a long time now. But you still need a consistent ground game to succeed. A good one helps more. But a poor one will result in heavily inflated passing numbers that look like your offense is killing it--but in reality, it will also lead to a lot of struggles closing out tight games or beating any team with an above average pass rush. I've said it before, I'll keep on damn saying it, too. You don't need a top back to win anymore, and rushing yards gained is no longer a typical indicator of who won the game. But without a back capable of neutralizing pass rushers and enabling play action, without a back capable of at least making a defense keep 6 in the box 40-50% of the time (it is rarely 7 anymore, but against bad rushing teams, you'll see as little as 5 all too often) and without a back capable of at least 1 first down per drive so it's not all on the passing game, you will struggle to win EVERY SINGLE WEEK. You need the complete package because of what the ground game does for your passing game. Because of how it even benefits your defense. Because of how it forces other defenses to not sell out on a four-wide front with extra DBs to make your QBs life miserable. It is just too important. And if one thing holds this team back this year, it is going to be this very position.

<end of rant>

So very true.  
the other thing that I will add is you have to have a RB who can convert those 3rd 2 3rd or 4th and 1 as well as gain positive 2-3 yards in goal to goal situations.  Your inside 20 TD rate will suffer greatly if you can not get positive yards regularly with run game. 
I might add being able to pass block as well as catch the ball out of the backfield and be a weapon is also critical to keep D’s honest and prevent a lot of sacks.