Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

12 hours ago, pwny said:

Strop expects to miss some time with a hamstring injury from that step on first base. So...things are just great. 

And it was 100% avoidable.  Joe was making questionable moves all game, but then he had Strop hit for himself.  With the bases loaded and only 1 out.  After already having pitched 2 innings.  With TLS available to pinch hit.  I'm really pissed at Joe right now.  This injury is all on him.

On 9/15/2018 at 10:06 PM, pwny said:

Also - Joe set the record for the most wins by a manager in their first 4 seasons with a team.

But there’s people who think he should be fired.

He's made some truly idiotic decisions this year (and in previous years as well), but he's made less than the average manager on top of being the best in the game at running a clubhouse.  You keep that around any chance you get.  

Finally some good news on the injury front, as Heyward was activated yesterday and Morrow's simulated game went really well on Saturday.  Unfortunately, Meatball's back is still bad enough that he didn't even travel with the team to Arizona.  Heyward being back really mitigates the need for him, but even having Meatball's bat being available off the bench would be nice.  

12 hours ago, pwny said:

JD calling that Kris home run was great.

”I’m done hoping and waiting for it. It’s coming this at bat.”

Yeah, that was awesome.  Made me laugh.

What a freaking huge win.  I had chalked that one up as a L, given that Corbin has been the 3rd best pitcher in all of baseball this year, and that the offense has been putrid lately. But then Hendricks out-pitched Corbin and the bats actually came alive.  I knew the game was over when Javy hit the 2-run bomb to go ahead 3-0.  They weren't scoring 3 runs off Hendricks last night.  His command was as good as it gets, and has been that way for quite awhile now.  Wilson only threw 1 pitch, so he obviously will be available tonight.  In fact, the important relievers have really been able to rest up the past few games.  Here are their pitches thrown in the past 4 games:

Cishek - 1 pitch (1 appearance)

Wilson - 13 pitches (2 appearances)

Edwards - 8 pitches (1 appearance)

Chavez - 4 pitches (1 appearance)

I almost need to put Jorge de la Rosa in the "important" list.  Dude has been really, really good since coming over.  It's insane that he could conceivably make the postseason roster.  

10 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Hopefully Strop is back for the postseason. 

I probably go with Cishek being the closer. Haven't heard anything though.

Crappy news on Morrow.  I was actually optimistic on his availability after his simulated game last week.  It will be a closer-by-committee now.  Wilson/Chavez/Cishek will team up to close things out.  Maybe Edwards as well, if he can prove that he's over the yips he's had for the past month.  

Another great win last night.  Magic number down to 8.  Gonna be really tough to sweep tonight against Ray, but with Hamels on the mound they can't be counted out.