Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

31 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Man, I hate how they gave that game away to the Brewers yesterday.  KB absolutely made the wrong decision by not going home with that ball.  But even before that, Willy uncharacteristically had a passed ball on a routine pitch that allowed the runners to go to 2nd and 3rd.  Their first 2 runs came due to some grounders that should have been picked (Murphy's range at 2B is brutal).  But Braun making that diving play probably pissed me off the most.  Dude sucks out there but then pulls out a web gem against the Cubs?  Eff off.

On the plus side, Hader isn't available for at least tonight.  Threw like 40 pitches yesterday.  

This is gonna be another one of those back and forth insanity series that we always seem to have.

I would assume Hader is unavailable for the rest of the series now.

33 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Man, I hate how they gave that game away to the Brewers yesterday.  KB absolutely made the wrong decision by not going home with that ball.  But even before that, Willy uncharacteristically had a passed ball on a routine pitch that allowed the runners to go to 2nd and 3rd.

Also didn't help that Edwards and Cisek combined for like 15 straight pitches without getting one in the strike zone, along with Cisek plunking two guys.

2 hours ago, pwny said:

Also didn't help that Edwards and Cisek combined for like 15 straight pitches without getting one in the strike zone, along with Cisek plunking two guys.

Cishek was wild as hell.  Edwards was making some pitches that had been getting called strikes for most of the game.  That's what got Joe tossed.  If the zone is gonna be ****ty, at least have it be consistent.

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Cishek was wild as hell.  Edwards was making some pitches that had been getting called strikes for most of the game.  That's what got Joe tossed.  If the zone is gonna be ****ty, at least have it be consistent.

There was a lot of not good pitches there tho. 

8th vs Yelich, he got the strike out, but nothing was even close to the zone.

M8dhwCL.png

vs Agular, which I assume is what got Joe mad in the first place with pitch 2

vwZb7uJ.png

8th vs Braun, that got Joe ejected...

AZTaqKx.png

And then this walked in the tying run:

UR82Vqy.png

Zone wasn't consistent, but I don't think he was pitching that well.

1 hour ago, pwny said:

There was a lot of not good pitches there tho. 

8th vs Yelich, he got the strike out, but nothing was even close to the zone.

M8dhwCL.png

vs Agular, which I assume is what got Joe mad in the first place with pitch 2

vwZb7uJ.png

8th vs Braun, that got Joe ejected...

AZTaqKx.png

And then this walked in the tying run:

UR82Vqy.png

Zone wasn't consistent, but I don't think he was pitching that well.

He actually hasn't been for quite awhile.  Certainly concerning, heading into crunch time.  

14 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@hrubes20 Maples is on my shortlist for best SL I've seen this year.

Yeah, he's a closer if he can get even 40 command. He has a 60 fastball, 70 slider, and 60 curve.  30 command and 30 control.  Basically he's Nuke Laloosh and a total lottery ticket.

Also, I've never been happier to miss a Cubs game for my fantasy football draft than I was last night.  The play-by-play seemed like it actually came with Benny Hill music playing in the background.  The Brewers didn't have an RBI hit on the first 5 runs they scored or something like that?  Unacceptable.

8 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Yeah, he's a closer if he can get even 40 command. He has a 60 fastball, 70 slider, and 60 curve.  30 command and 30 control.  Basically he's Nuke Laloosh and a total lottery ticket.

Also, I've never been happier to miss a Cubs game for my fantasy football draft than I was last night.  The play-by-play seemed like it actually came with Benny Hill music playing in the background.  The Brewers didn't have an RBI hit on the first 5 runs they scored or something like that?  Unacceptable.

Guess we decided to switch today.

15 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Hendricks and Quintana have been looking more like themselves lately. 

Hendricks has been back for awhile now.  His last 11 starts: 3.06 ERA, 2.68 FIP,  3.31 xFIP,  8.38 K/9, 1.33 BB/9.  He will slot in nicely with Hamels at the top of the playoff rotation.  

Quintana hasn't been as good for as long, but you're right in that he's been a lot better lately.  I saw that his velocity ticked up a tad recently, which I'm sure had something to do with it.  Definitely good to see, and hopefully it sticks.  He may actually be the #4 playoff starter if he keeps it up.   

What a god-awful job by MLB handling that rain delay. Thanks for making us burn Jon Lester for nothing, I guess.

Were we planning on starting Garcia vs Scherzer or did we get granted this lovely matchup because of the rain delay as well?