Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

16 hours ago, pwny said:

We have the 7th best ERA in the majors and the most Runs in the NL. For all our struggles and injuries, this team has still played well.

Yeah, I keep telling myself how much of a miracle it is that this team still has the best record in the NL despite all the injuries and slow starts to key players.  A testament to the depth that has been accumulated here.  Of course, Javy going from a slightly below league average bat to Alfonso Soriano seemingly overnight helps things out tremendously.  

I also see that Mills is gonna get another start.  Apparently it was a combination of him "earning" another one because he pitched so well the other day, and the FO wanting to limit Montgomery's innings a bit.  I don't have a problem with that at all.  

• Like 1

Man, I got to thinking about the absolute logjam of bats once KB gets back and ultimately the playoff roster if everyone is still healthy.  It's pretty ridiculous.  You actually have to platoon guys to keep everyone's bats in there.  Here is how I would go:

Against RHP:

2B - Murphy

RF - Zobrist

3B - KB

1B - Rizz

SS - Javy

LF - Meatball

CF - Heyward

C - Willy

Against LHP:

2B - Murphy

LF/RF - Zobrist

RF/LF - KB

1B - Rizz

SS - Javy

3B - Bote

CF - Almora

C - Willy

And then rotate guys as you will to give everyone some days off here and there, especially KB/Murphy/Zobrist.  I don't see any way that Happ gets starts on this team after KB comes back.  They better not be at Bote's expense, if he does get any.

18 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Man, I got to thinking about the absolute logjam of bats once KB gets back and ultimately the playoff roster if everyone is still healthy.  It's pretty ridiculous.  You actually have to platoon guys to keep everyone's bats in there.  Here is how I would go:

Against RHP:

2B - Murphy

RF - Zobrist

3B - KB

1B - Rizz

SS - Javy

LF - Meatball

CF - Heyward

C - Willy

Against LHP:

2B - Murphy

LF/RF - Zobrist

RF/LF - KB

1B - Rizz

SS - Javy

3B - Bote

CF - Almora

C - Willy

And then rotate guys as you will to give everyone some days off here and there, especially KB/Murphy/Zobrist.  I don't see any way that Happ gets starts on this team after KB comes back.  They better not be at Bote's expense, if he does get any.

Man, what a ridiculous lineup set available. As long as a whole lot of guys aren't simultaneously slumping, that's a group that s going to be really hard to keep from scoring a lot of runs daily.

6 in a row!  No coincidence that Murphy has been in the lineup for the past 6 games.  Dude just completely changes this offense.  That and Rizz being smoking hot.  But it was multiple guys that were hitting rocket liners all over the place against Thor last night.  This team has struggled in the past against elite arms so it was really nice to see.

2 innings wasn't too bad for the postponement.  Won both games against Thor and deGrom.  That's not nothing.

And of course Joe puts out the JV lineup for the other game today.  Bote at SS in kind of fun though.  If he's even borderline capable there, that opens up a bunch of doors.

8 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

2 innings wasn't too bad for the postponement.  Won both games against Thor and deGrom.  That's not nothing.

And of course Joe puts out the JV lineup for the other game today.  Bote at SS in kind of fun though.  If he's even borderline capable there, that opens up a bunch of doors.

The Mets are worthless 

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Of course we win because Baez came back from 0-2 and didn't chase anything.

KB will be back tomorrow.  It's never a bad time to be adding an MVP caliber bat to the lineup, but it's especially nice now that Bote is in a bit of a rough stretch at the plate.  

Also, I don't think we've appreciated just how terrific Ben Zobrist has been this year.  He was coming off a bad 2017 where he hurt his wrist and couldn't overcome it.  Most 37 year olds wouldn't be able to bounce back from that for a myriad of reasons.  But Zobrist is currently sporting a 131 wRC+, which is the highest he's had since 2012.  Eff me, this lineup is deeeeeeep.

Heyward to the 10 day DL. Maples coming up. 

I’d assume Maples goes down tomorrow when Bryant and Russell are activated. So does that mean they let him eat an inning tonight?

EDIT: nevermind. Rosters expand tomorrow. They’re just bringing one guy up early.

Man, I hate how they gave that game away to the Brewers yesterday.  KB absolutely made the wrong decision by not going home with that ball.  But even before that, Willy uncharacteristically had a passed ball on a routine pitch that allowed the runners to go to 2nd and 3rd.  Their first 2 runs came due to some grounders that should have been picked (Murphy's range at 2B is brutal).  But Braun making that diving play probably pissed me off the most.  Dude sucks out there but then pulls out a web gem against the Cubs?  Eff off.

On the plus side, Hader isn't available for at least tonight.  Threw like 40 pitches yesterday.