Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

22 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Same, except I didn't think we were going to sign Darvish so I was fine with keeping him once we did that. 

I'd rather see Almora get the majority of the time in CF though. 

Against LHPs, for sure. With Zobrist looking much better than he did in 2017 so far, I’m fine with the OF they had yesterday against RHPs. Meatball/Heyward/Zobrist

This early start just really reminds me of last year. I was hoping to see this team start off strong. I'm hoping that it's just a small sample size, but so far I feel like the lack of an effective leadoff hitter has definitely hurt the lineup. I expected Happ to keep mashing. 

Edited by Lions017

5 hours ago, Lions017 said:

This early start just really reminds me of last year. I was hoping to see this team start off strong. I'm hoping that it's just a small sample size, but so far I feel like the lack of an effective leadoff hitter has definitely hurt the lineup. I expected Happ to keep mashing. 

Yeah, the .500 start is very similar to 2017's April.  It was May of last year that was so terrible though, IIRC.  The other teams in the division are so flawed right now, that I'm not worried.

I think the leadoff hitter thing is a tad overblown.  Cubs still scored the 2nd most runs in the league last year, despite having a black hole at leadoff.  I think it was more glaring, because Fowler was just a really good hitter, regardless of where he hit.  Losing an OBP close to .400 will hurt any lineup.  The big issues in the lineup stem from the inability to hit with RISP.  They were really bad last year there, and have started out 2018 poorly there as well. Getting plenty of baserunners, but not getting them in.  Some of that is bad luck so far, as the Cubs have the 5th best hard hit rate in baseball as a team, and the 6th highest LD rate, yet are 20th in team BABIP.  That's without a healthy Rizzo as well, so there's certainly room for optimism.  

I've been on the "Trade Happ" train for awhile, but even I didn't think he would look as clueless at the plate as he does right now.  Painful to watch.