Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

3 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Rough is putting it mildly.  He's been a trainwreck today.  Single-handedly responsible for 2 of the runs charged to Lester.  

You know who's looked terrific so far at the plate today though?  Heyward.  Took a 4 pitch walk.  Laced a rocket 2B to the RF corner.  Took a 3-1 count and hit a liner to CF that was caught.  I'm so used to seeing weak grounders to 2B from him, that I probably had my mouth open.

At least he got one back on the HR. 

I was laughing so hard when the announcer said "losing weight doesn't magically make you a good defender" or something like that. 

I feel like Schwarber just tries too hard out there sometimes. A lot of his mistakes seem to be on balls that he should just play off of the wall or let them drop in front of him. Less is more sometimes. He's not a guy that should be going for the running, over-the-shoulder or diving catches. As Maddon says, "do simple better." 

Luckily the rest of the team is pretty great defensively. Hopefully Happ can become solid, but the infield is fantastic and so are Heyward/Almora. 

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I feel like Schwarber just tries too hard out there sometimes. A lot of his mistakes seem to be on balls that he should just play off of the wall or let them drop in front of him. Less is more sometimes. He's not a guy that should be going for the running, over-the-shoulder or diving catches. As Maddon says, "do simple better." 

Luckily the rest of the team is pretty great defensively. Hopefully Happ can become solid, but the infield is fantastic and so are Heyward/Almora. 

None of them were great today defensively, except maybe Heyward. Tighten it up tomorrow.

Woof. The starters have been pretty bad so far - though Quintana did have a no-no going through the first four frames. The Marlins, filled with nobodies and AAA guys, pretty consistently had good at-bats against our starters for the whole series. 

I don't know why this team struggles so much with runners on base. There are a bunch of good hitters in the lineup each day, but they never seem to be able to drive in as many runs as they should. It's like everyone tries to do too much. I get that you don't want guys choking up and just poking grounders through the hole whenever someone gets on, but at a certain point it's just super frustrating to watch guys getting stranded out there. 

Hopefully Chatwood pitches a strong game tomorrow. The bullpen is going to be dead by the time that they get a day off next week. It's crazy how the Cubs have eight relievers and it almost hasn't been enough. 

Edited by Lions017

What the heck was the matter with the rotation in Miami? Their stuff was fine, but not one of them could locate anything. Literally none of the 4. They would go up 0-2 or 1-2, and then couldn’t put anyone away. They then ended up throwing a bunch of pitches. Kudos to the Marlins for actually being somewhat disciplined, but man that was ridiculous. Get them next time I guess.

Bullpen was terrific. Keep it up, boys.

Other than Javy, Happ, and Contreras, who all looked pretty bad that series, I wasn’t displeased with how most of the offense looked. The results weren’t there, for sure, but how many outs were really well hit and just happened to be right at a defender? The answer is “a lot”.  Those average out over time. Addy, Meatball, and Zobrist being locked in was great to see. Heyward hit more liners in those 4 games than he’s probably had in a month’s worth of games since signing. Like I said, the results weren’t necessarily there, but I’m not too upset overall with the offense. Baseball is a cruel mistress some times.