Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

4 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I'm watching the game today on mlb.tv, and Darvish is using a hesitation ala Kershaw or Cueto in his delivery.  Don't think he's used that before.  That's gonna be hell for hitters to time with all his different pitches.

He did it in his last spring start as well. Very effective.

16 hours ago, bootsy said:

He did it in his last spring start as well. Very effective.

Nice.  I've looked at some video of him in Texas, and even last year in LA, and he doesn't have any of the hesitation.  It's gonna be completely new to hitters this year.  He gonna blow up.

Edited by hrubes20

On 3/19/2018 at 10:56 AM, hrubes20 said:

Grimm released.  Saves a couple million more for a potential midseason acquisition.  

With Strop still with a huring calf muscle, 2 of the other bullpen candidates may start the season with on the 25 man.  It sounds like Justin Hancock is really making the most of his opportunities.  He's been pumping high-90's heat and more importantly, throwing strikes.  Maddon is a big fan, apparently.

Edit:  Forgot to mention that unfortunately, Dillon Maples has crapped the bed this spring.  He's looked pretty terrible.

Was always a big Grimm supporter, but he really wasn't that great and was pretty bad last year.

And somehow didn't notice until now that our first 10 games are on the road. Pretty sure that happened last year too. 

19 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Was always a big Grimm supporter, but he really wasn't that great and was pretty bad last year.

And somehow didn't notice until now that our first 10 games are on the road. Pretty sure that happened last year too. 

It's not usually a full 10, but I'd say the first 2 series are almost always on the road against warm weather opponents.  Nobody wants to be playing March baseball outside in Chicago.

It's not often that you would feel crappy about winning 3 of 4 in a 4 game series, but the Cubs are going to be so much better than the Marlins (especially while their #2 starter, Martin Prado, and J.T. Realmuto are all on the DL) that anything less than a sweep to start the year would be a little underwhelming.

Apparently Happ isn't expected to rotate in at 2B. Does that surprise anyone else? I know that the team has Baez/Zobrist/La Stella, but I thought he would at least play 20-30 games there or something. He still might if anyone gets injured, but the focus is on having him be an outfielder right now. 

15 hours ago, Lions017 said:

Apparently Happ isn't expected to rotate in at 2B. Does that surprise anyone else? I know that the team has Baez/Zobrist/La Stella, but I thought he would at least play 20-30 games there or something. He still might if anyone gets injured, but the focus is on having him be an outfielder right now. 

I'm ok with Happ playing only OF.  He's pretty rough defensively at 2B.  What I'm scared of a little, is that Joe has come out and said that Happ will be given the opportunity to hit leadoff essentially every day.  That means he will start in CF every game against RHPs, and will spell Schwarber and Heyward in the corners against LHPs with Almora playing CF.  As you guys know, I'm not the biggest believer in Happ.  I think his contact issues will get exposed.  Here's hoping I'm horribly wrong.

I'm also really scared about the amount of time Zobrist may get this year.  He was terrible last year, although a wrist injury dogged him all year.  He's also been terrible in the small sample of ST.  I'm REALLY hoping he doesn't cut into Javy's playing time too much.  I will never forget Zobrist's contributions in 2016, and him giving us arguably the biggest hit in Cubs' history.  But if he was to retire after this year,  it would be for the best.

6 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I'm ok with Happ playing only OF.  He's pretty rough defensively at 2B.  What I'm scared of a little, is that Joe has come out and said that Happ will be given the opportunity to hit leadoff essentially every day.  That means he will start in CF every game against RHPs, and will spell Schwarber and Heyward in the corners against LHPs with Almora playing CF.  As you guys know, I'm not the biggest believer in Happ.  I think his contact issues will get exposed.  Here's hoping I'm horribly wrong.

I'm also really scared about the amount of time Zobrist may get this year.  He was terrible last year, although a wrist injury dogged him all year.  He's also been terrible in the small sample of ST.  I'm REALLY hoping he doesn't cut into Javy's playing time too much.  I will never forget Zobrist's contributions in 2016, and him giving us arguably the biggest hit in Cubs' history.  But if he was to retire after this year,  it would be for the best.

Hopefully it just means Baez gets more time. I'm with you though, hope Zobrist doesn't get too much playing time.

I remember being annoyed last year with the amount of time he was getting too. Really hoping to see more of Almora though. 

58 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Was hoping Schwarber would be better in the OF this year. Really rough start for him. 

Rough is putting it mildly.  He's been a trainwreck today.  Single-handedly responsible for 2 of the runs charged to Lester.  

You know who's looked terrific so far at the plate today though?  Heyward.  Took a 4 pitch walk.  Laced a rocket 2B to the RF corner.  Took a 3-1 count and hit a liner to CF that was caught.  I'm so used to seeing weak grounders to 2B from him, that I probably had my mouth open.