Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

8 hours ago, CBears019 said:

There’s been discussion online of the Cubs should get in on the bidding for machado with a deal entered around Russell.  Do you make that trade and risk 4 cheap years of Russell for likely 1 expensive year of machado?

I would love to have him, but I don't know if we'd would be able to resign him. 

So I'm not really for that trade. 

41 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Guys still think Heyward opts out? I'm still saying he doesn't. 

He would have to replicate his 2015 season to opt out.  The chances are not good of that happening, but man that would be awesome.  Cubs get a 6 Win player for 2018, and get rid of Heyward before his defense starts to decline.  They could then turn around and give the RF job (and Heyward's money) to Harper next offseason.  But, again, it's not happening.  Heyward is a lost cause offensively until I see otherwise. 

Apparently Theo and Jed flew down to Dallas to meet with Darvish today.  They must be much more serious about signing him than I thought they were.  It obviously depends on years/dollars, but I don't want him for anything close to what he's been rumored to get (6 years, $150 million).   

I know the Machado rumors are coming from people that usually are incorrect about everything, but I just hate the fact that they are still coming out here and there.  Unless the FO knows something really bad about Addy that the rest of us don't (some truth to the DV stuff?).

27 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I know the Machado rumors are coming from people that usually are incorrect about everything, but I just hate the fact that they are still coming out here and there.  Unless the FO knows something really bad about Addy that the rest of us don't (some truth to the DV stuff?).

I honestly wouldn't reach much into it.  I mean, they labeled the Cardinals as one of the earliest favorites and the Cardinals pretty much were out of it as soon as the Orioles said they wouldn't grant the Cardinals a negotiating window.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

Rumor is the Cubs May be willing to go 4 years $110M for Arrieta.

A very big no thank you.  I honesty don't want Arrieta back for more than 4/$60.  Diminished velocity.  Fewer groundballs.  More HRs allowed.  Iffy command in the 2nd half.  Over 30 years of age.  He's actually closer to a #4 starter right now than he is a #2.  

On 1/3/2018 at 11:02 AM, hrubes20 said:

A very big no thank you.  I honesty don't want Arrieta back for more than 4/$60.  Diminished velocity.  Fewer groundballs.  More HRs allowed.  Iffy command in the 2nd half.  Over 30 years of age.  He's actually closer to a #4 starter right now than he is a #2.  

Not a chance he accepts that kind of deal.

KB agrees to a $10.8 million contract, avoiding arbitration.  That's a new record for a player's first year in arbitration.  This coming after the Cubs gave KB a record pre-arb salary last year (despite having zero need to do so). Pretty clear they want to try and play as nice as possible with KB as Boras is going to make it as hard as possible to resign him in a few years.

Justin Grimm is the only player to not come to an agreement yet.  I honestly don't know why he was even tendered a contract. 

• 2 weeks later...