Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

On 11/24/2017 at 9:22 PM, Blazer026 said:

Wonder what it would take to get The Shark back? 

Heard a rumor a couple weeks ago and it kinda intrigues me. 

It all just depends on the Stanton situation.  I can't imagine the Giants would be willing to deal their #3 starter if Stanton is acquired, as they would clearly be hoping to contend.  Or maybe their money situation would be so tight with Stanton that they would be looking to dump Shark's salary to make room.  Either way, I could get on board with that acquisition.  

48 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I’d assume we’re on the outside looking in, but we’re one of the 7 final teams for Ohtani.

And as long as he doesn’t choose the Dodgers (or Giants if they also trade for Stanton, which looks likely), he wouldn’t hurt the Cubs if he did indeed go elsewhere. Not getting my hopes up, but man that would be awesome. It’s akin to hitting the $200 million lottery.

I’m excited  be a finalist, but trying not to get too excited.  I’m sure Theo and Jed are doing something awesome in their presentation, i just don’t know if we offer what he wants.  Regardless id love to see what their presentation to him is.  All reports I’ve read said the Cubs one is extremely creative.  But I’d expect no less from our management.

Didn't see the Chatwood signing coming, but it's not a bad one.  All the signs pointed to Cobb, but he must be pricing himself out of the Cubs' plans.  Looks like the other rotation spot will be Ohtani (unlikely) or come via trade (likely).  Prepare to lose a big leaguer.  Sigh.

19 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Didn't see the Chatwood signing coming, but it's not a bad one.  All the signs pointed to Cobb, but he must be pricing himself out of the Cubs' plans.  Looks like the other rotation spot will be Ohtani (unlikely) or come via trade (likely).  Prepare to lose a big leaguer.  Sigh.

Hasn't it been speculated for a while now that one starter would come via FA and the other would come through trade?

7 hours ago, iPwn said:

So with Stanton going to the Yankees, that basically (unless things change) locks Bryce to us as the unquestioned favorite, right?

Yes. That deal is gonna be huge, but then again so is Harper’s talent. Phillies will have tons of money available, but a bad team. 

Harper/Bryant/Rizz/Contreras/Meatball

Good luck.

11 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Apparently were still pursing Cobb, and were interested in Colome and Archer.

Have no clue how we would be able to land Colome and Archer. Highly doubt that happens. 

I still would like Cobb though. 

I’m iffy on Cobb after Chatwood. I think he requires too much to sign and he’s another SP with a lengthy injury history