Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

17 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I saw that awhile ago.  Pretty fair, tbh.  The system will completely depend on how all the pitching progresses this summer.

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

Signed Steve Cishek. 

I had failed to realize that Cishek made a complete turnaround and was back to being a really good reliever again.  Great deal on the signing as well.  Cubs are reportedly still in on Wade Davis as well.  That would be a fantastic pen if Davis got resigned and Justin Wilson got over the yips this offseason.  Of course, I'm not in favor of signing Davis to the 4 year deal he probably wants.  I'd do 3 though.

56 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Yeah, that was a really good signing.  Like I said, I thought he was toast after his time with the Mariners.  I remember him blowing a game against the Cubs on one of the worst wild pitch you will ever see.  

I guess it was a hip issue that has since been corrected.  

Edited by hrubes20

1 hour ago, Breesus mode said:

Love our moves so far, any starting pitching we can still get?

Apparently we still have an offer out there for Cobb, but he's apparently asking for too many years and/or too much money.  Plenty of rumors about us trying to acquire Danny Duffy from the Royals or Danny Salazar from the Indians via trade as well.  Both trades would presumably include Ian Happ going the other direction.  I think he's too much for either starter, but expanded deals happen all the time.  A trade of Happ+ for Duffy/Herrera would be just fine by me.  Herrera is getting more costly and is coming off a down year, so he wouldn't be as hard to obtain.  But he was so dang good in 2016 that I'd certainly roll the dice.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Lost  Rondon to the Astros, fine with me though.

He was great in 14-15, but clearly not as good since then. 

Agreed.  He just hasn't been the same guy since getting hurt late in 2016.  I wish him the best, but it was time to move on.

4 hours ago, CBears019 said:

There’s been discussion online of the Cubs should get in on the bidding for machado with a deal entered around Russell.  Do you make that trade and risk 4 cheap years of Russell for likely 1 expensive year of machado?

I don't even consider it, as I still have tons of belief in Addy pulling it all together offensively.  He's already all-world defensively so his floor is very high.  He has a dang near 4 Win season already under his belt and he has potential for a good bit more as he's only 23.  Machado is stupid good, but I don't give that deal a second thought.  Honestly, I would rather the FO look into extending Russell before he blows up.

4 hours ago, iPwn said:

So this has to be confirmation that Cobb is asking for way too much.  I would obviously love to add Darvish, but I wonder where that would leave us for our battle for Harper next offseason.  Our funny money is still another year away from coming in, and we won't be a LT team every year until that money comes in.  I obviously don't want to "punt" a season during this competitive window, but I am completely fine with the FO making a few more moves for 2018, staying under the LT limit, and going balls out for Harper next offseason.