Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

13 hours ago, iPwn said:

So the Cubs are signing Chris Giminez. Which is a wholly uninspiring signing except for the fact that he was Darvish’s personal catcher.

We need the catching depth at the upper levels, and it certainly couldn't hurt to bring in Yu's buddy.  Could be more coincidence than anything, but I'll take it.

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

And the Cubs are now in 'active' negotiation w/ Darvish and his agent. He'd be a good get for you guys.

For sure.  He would further legitimize a playoff rotation.  As long as the deal stays under the 6 years that Darvish was projected to get, I'm fine.  Even a 5 year deal with a 6th mutual option or something with a buyout would be acceptable.  

2 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

We need the catching depth at the upper levels, and it certainly couldn't hurt to bring in Yu's buddy.  Could be more coincidence than anything, but I'll take it.

Definitely need the depth. But at the same time, I feel like there were a lot better options out there if this wasn’t for a bigger purpose. Someone like Avila can’t be that much more expensive, right?

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

Definitely need the depth. But at the same time, I feel like there were a lot better options out there if this wasn’t for a bigger purpose. Someone like Avila can’t be that much more expensive, right?

He may be just expensive enough to not be realistic, if the Cubs are pushing hard for Yu.  They have about $35 million under the luxury tax, and the FO loves to have $10 million available for in-season transactions.  $25 million is set aside for Yu if necessary (I hope it's slightly less than that but you never know) and then they are bumping the luxury tax, which they absolutely will not cross this year, as they will be over it for the foreseeable future starting in 2019. BRYCCCCCEEEEEE!!!!!

46 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

He may be just expensive enough to not be realistic, if the Cubs are pushing hard for Yu. 

That’s kinda what I meant. Unless they’re confident they’re going to get Darvish, it’s kinda silly to not go after someone like Avila or one of the other better rotational Catchers out there. Giminez seems like a guy this team only goes after if 1. They think they’re getting Darvish and his personal catcher helps or 2. They have a different big ticket player in mind that requires the financial flexibility of signing a lesser rotational Catcher.

40 minutes ago, iPwn said:

That’s kinda what I meant. Unless they’re confident they’re going to get Darvish, it’s kinda silly to not go after someone like Avila or one of the other better rotational Catchers out there. Giminez seems like a guy this team only goes after if 1. They think they’re getting Darvish and his personal catcher helps or 2. They have a different big ticket player in mind that requires the financial flexibility of signing a lesser rotational Catcher.

That certainly makes sense.  It could also be a vote of confidence in Caratini from the FO as well.  They are really high on the kid.

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

For sure.  He would further legitimize a playoff rotation.  As long as the deal stays under the 6 years that Darvish was projected to get, I'm fine.  Even a 5 year deal with a 6th mutual option or something with a buyout would be acceptable.  

If you ****ers go sign Chatwood out from under me and get Yu Darvish in the same offseason I'm gonna lose my mind.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

22 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If you ****ers go sign Chatwood out from under me and get Yu Darvish in the same offseason I'm gonna lose my mind.

Well if we don't sign Yu, it's because you bastards took on Ellsbury and allowed the Yanks to sign him.  Either way it looks like one of us is gonna be pissy, as I don't really see the Twins as a legitimate landing spot for Yu.  

49 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Well if we don't sign Yu, it's because you bastards took on Ellsbury and allowed the Yanks to sign him.  Either way it looks like one of us is gonna be pissy, as I don't really see the Twins as a legitimate landing spot for Yu.  

I'm still not over Chatwood. Ellsbury would be revenge.

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Brewer poster who had info on Darvish before the contract offer went out said Darvish is a Cub. TIFWIW.

This is the dude who called the Brewers trying to trade for Yelich, right?

13 hours ago, iPwn said:

This is the dude who called the Brewers trying to trade for Yelich, right?

Yes.  Supposedly was on the Lucroy to Indians trade before it happened as well.  I've seen too many "message board insiders" over the years to fully buy into it, but this guy does at least have a modicum of credibility.  Or at least it appears that way.  I haven't been on that message board enough to know if he throws out these scenarios very often.  But it's not like he's really going out on a limb with this one.  We're the only big market team with room under the luxury tax to sign him, we've shown interest, and he would fill a big question mark.  At this point, I'd honestly be shocked if Darvish isn't a Cub.