Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

13 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I doubt they really want Lackey starting Game 1 of the NLCS.  But then again, this is Joe and he does crazy things.  Admittedly those crazy things turn out fine in the long run more often than not though.

True.

I am physically drained after watching that game.  I went into these playoffs thinking I wouldn't get nervous about losing, but here I was sitting in one spot when the Cubs are doing well, refusing to move even an eyelid, because that would screw up their momentum.  Then when they're doing poorly, trying to find the right combination of blinks, finger twitches, and knuckle cracks to get them out of their slump.  Baseball is weird.  I love it.

I don't know what to say about last nights game.  Too much drama to sift through right now.  But we won, that's all that matters.  On to LA.

Cubs had to divert their plan and land in Albuquerque for several hours this morning.  One of the players' family members had a medical emergency, though not life-threatening.  I read they were on the ground for up to 4 hours, but are on their way to LA now.

Thankfully everyone is ok.

Cubs are going to be EXHAUSTED tomorrow.  Assuming they're facing Kershaw tomorrow night, this could be a rough game 1.

11 hours ago, iPwn said:

Yeah, I saw that he only threw 12 pitches.  Start Quintana and see how he does.  If last night has an effect on him, get Lackey in there.  Or if he completely ****s the bed and we're down 7-0 or something, make Justin Wilson throw 4 innings.

10 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I am physically drained after watching that game.  I went into these playoffs thinking I wouldn't get nervous about losing, but here I was sitting in one spot when the Cubs are doing well, refusing to move even an eyelid, because that would screw up their momentum.  Then when they're doing poorly, trying to find the right combination of blinks, finger twitches, and knuckle cracks to get them out of their slump.  Baseball is weird.  I love it.

I don't know what to say about last nights game.  Too much drama to sift through right now.  But we won, that's all that matters.  On to LA.

I'm a rational and logical person the vast majority of the time.  But in every meaningful Cubs game, I find myself in the same damn boat.  I randomly had a Woodchuck Cider Ale during dinner with Game 1 and the Cubs won.  I didn't have access to one for Game 2 and they lost.  On a whim, I had another one for Game 3 and they won.  I was at work for Game 4 and they lost.  I made sure to have one last night and they won.  You can guarantee I will be getting a case of the stuff for the remainder of the postseason.

8 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

Do y'all really think we have the money for Harper?

Depends on just how silly the new TV deal money is going to be.  Superstar 26 year old FAs don't hit the market often.  

1 minute ago, CBears019 said:

Cubs had to divert their plan and land in Albuquerque for several hours this morning.  One of the players' family members had a medical emergency, though not life-threatening.  I read they were on the ground for up to 4 hours, but are on their way to LA now.

Thankfully everyone is ok.

Cubs are going to be EXHAUSTED tomorrow.  Assuming they're facing Kershaw tomorrow night, this could be a rough game 1.

Saw this.  But they'll have plenty of time to rest up.  All of today and then a late game tomorrow night.  Of course, all of this could have been avoided if TBS hadn't refused to allow Game 4 to be moved up 2 hours.  Greedy bastards.

Got some decisions heading forward.

- What to do with starting pitching, as Jake and Lackey are likely on their way out.

- How to revamp the Bullpen. Wade was the only consistent piece, and he’s a Free Agent.

- Who are we going to get to bat lead off?

- Who is gonna play in CF?

This will be the biggest single offseason test for Theo.