Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

17 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

58 K's in 5 games. Yikes

It was essentially 6 games, with all the extra innings considered.  Still not great, though.

16 hours ago, Lions017 said:

It's not good to start the year in a huge slump. What happened to everybody talking about how they were motivated and wouldn't repeat 2017? 

Half of the team looks lost out there. 

BN had some good stats this morning that backed up what I was seeing.  Through their first 5 (essentially 6) games, the Cubs have one of  the lowest team BABIPs in baseball, despite the 7th best hard hit rate and 11th best soft hit rate.  There are in the bottom half of the league in K rate, but they have been pretty dang unlucky with the balls they are making contact with.  That will start coming around, and hopefully the sooner the better.  I'm just hoping the improvements that we've seen from Addy, Meatball, Zobrist, and Heyward are going to stick.  I'm not worrying about Rizzo or Contreras.  They will start hitting like they can in short order.

15 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

god dammit

Indeed.

Minor league assignments are starting to trickle out, given that OD in the minors is on Thursday.  The guys I would follow at each full season level are as follows:

South Bend (A) - Jose Albertos, Brendon Little, Cory Abbott, Javier Assad, Jesus Carmago, Erich Uelman, Miguel Amaya, and Yeiler Peguero

Myrtle Beach (High A) - Aramis Ademan, Alex Lange, D.J. Wilson, Keegan Thompson, Wladimir Galindo, and Bryan Hudson.

Tennessee (AA) - Adbert Alzolay (will join team in 2 weeks or so), Oscar de la Cruz, Thomas Hatch, Michael Rucker, Duncan Robinson, Dakota Mekkes, Charcer Burks

Iowa (AAA) - Not much.  A bunch of relievers and Jen-Ho Tseng

All the other interesting prospects to me will start out in EXST and go to Eugene to play short season ball.  The offensive side of the farm looks rough right now.  We need to draft at least 3 hitters with our first 5 picks in June, IMO.  Especially since the early word is that we went after elite pitching talent this IFA period.  

With that said, I love the pitching depth the FO has acquired.  There is going to be a legit pitching prospect going almost every night for South Bend and Tennessee (once Alzolay gets there) and Myrtle Beach will have at last 3 worth monitoring.  This is quite the change from a few years ago.  

• Like 1

Well the bullpen certainly needed those off days.  I, however, did not.  It feels like a month since the Cubs last played.  Should be a fun weekend series against the Brewers.  Well, assuming that the rotation remembers how to not be insanely wild and that the BABIP gods stop smiting us.  

18 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

I'm not sure if I was more surprised with Lester "picking off" Braun or Heyward hitting a homer. 

Don't doubt the bounce pass!  

Great to see Heyward finally get something to show for all the hard contact he's had early on.  Tiny sample size, but Heyward has the same hard hit rate of Giancarlo Stanton and is right behind Mike Trout on the young season.  He's really been squaring the ball up well.

28 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

Just not a good day for our pitching.

Hendricks imploded after being forced to throw it over the middle by the ump. It happens. Wilson was nails until he wasn’t (how did that guy have the mentality to be a closer?). The rest have been terrific so far. I’m not going to complain. 

Meatball has had an ugly night at the plate.

Damn, i didn't expect a beginning of the season like this...pitcher aren't sharp, defense and batting very poor, it' s not an ideal start. 

And those extra inning with a loss at the end erghh it's not good for the team mood.

2 hours ago, Flounch said:

Damn, i didn't expect a beginning of the season like this...pitcher aren't sharp, defense and batting very poor, it' s not an ideal start. 

And those extra inning with a loss at the end erghh it's not good for the team mood.

Team mood isn’t something we ever have to worry about. There’s no way to quantify it, but Joe is probably one of the best, if not THE best in the game at keeping the guys loose. 

The Marlins and Reds games were just as you said. They were terrible. But they dominated the Brewers in game 1, and were in game 2 until the very end. You aren’t going to win 162 games, especially road games. 

19 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

I know it's early, but I don't like Happ hitting leadoff. Striking out a ton so far. 

I wanted him dealt this past offseason to try and maximize his value. The contact issues were always my biggest concern.

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I wanted him dealt this past offseason to try and maximize his value. The contact issues were always my biggest concern.

Same, except I didn't think we were going to sign Darvish so I was fine with keeping him once we did that. 

I'd rather see Almora get the majority of the time in CF though.