Jaguars extend QB Trevor Lawrence (5 years, $275M, $200M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

The most interesting thing to me on the Lawrence deal is whether it actually reset the market for guys like Tua and Love. Like, were these guys who were likely going to take 52 million before this deal and will now be getting 57 million? 

13 minutes ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

A generational prospect means you're expected to be a generational type of QB. 

If a generational prospect falls short of those expectations - then they did not nor should not earn an elite level contract. Lawerance has been tier 3 level QB through 3 years. He earned the top dollar contract. 

What is your point? I’ve been saying this was an overpay for a majority of the thread.

The Urban Meyer Jags were infinitely more inept than the Chuck Pagano Colts, and Peyton’s first year was as much as we’ve seen any rookie QB struggle ever. Those points are independent of Lawrence falling short of expectations and getting overpaid, as I’ve said.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

The most interesting thing to me on the Lawrence deal is whether it actually reset the market for guys like Tua and Love. Like, were these guys who were likely going to take 52 million before this deal and will now be getting 57 million? 

That's the predicament the Packers are in. If Love continues to progress - it'll be along the lines of 57-60 MM per i feel. He had them very close to a NFC Championship game in the divisional round against SF. But who knows - Maybe Love will take less to keep core players in tact. He seems like the anti Aaron so. I could be wrong but I don't see the Dolphins worrying about Tua. Their Front office and staff will align on a number to negotiate/compromise too and thats it. Will franchise him at worst in 2025 or let him walk and replace him with a first round pick. 

On 6/23/2024 at 4:19 PM, Forge said:

I mean all of these clubs including your 49ers are screwing the pooch by waiting. 

I get it, Purdy is only in year 3 so the 49ers have to wait until after this season but imagine had they been able to offer him an extension pre-Hurts for 48-$50M. Anyone really think he's saying no?

Now because Mia/GB waited Tua/Love will get $57-58M, Dallas will either lose Dak or pay him $60M, Purdy gets what, $61M? Or do they say screw it/him, intentionally going the FTag route ($43M) knowing,  we're not paying $60+M for a Shanahan QB?

Contracts are getting out of hand but thats the going rate. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 2

On 6/14/2024 at 2:16 AM, 43M said:

Lawrence is just a few notches above a game manager at this point.   Thats quite the contract for a guy who has one full year of clearly above average play.

Just goes back to what I said in the Goff thread....not all "franchise QBs" are created equal, but they all get paid like they are, and its completely ridiculous.

Good for Trevor, but the QB market is pretty laughable.

Went through this whole thread and the game manager comment gave me the biggest chuckle. Thank you sir.

On 6/23/2024 at 4:19 PM, Forge said:

Man this really seems like a bubble thats going to burst at some point.

In the NBA they have max contracts and that inadvertently creates a huge advantage for teams who actually get the elite players, because players that are just "very good", will end up getting paid the same.

If this keeps going, the Chiefs could end up with a significantly more dominant run in the AFC than the Patriots did. There is no planet where Tua should be approaching the salary of Mahomes.

Eventually teams will need to do something about this

• Like 2

A player getting paid 100M a year at some point would be ludicrous. That’s equal to some of the biggest boxing fights ever, and those boxers only experienced that once in their career. 100M EVERY year? Holy moly. 

1 hour ago, Tank4Drake said:

A player getting paid 100M a year at some point would be ludicrous. That’s equal to some of the biggest boxing fights ever, and those boxers only experienced that once in their career. 100M EVERY year? Holy moly. 

That's more than some NFL teams profits in a single year tbh.

Jordan Love gonna love owning the packers in 5-20 years.