The Official Jayden Daniels Thread

I think it’s clear the Jayden has real arm talent!!! I’m okay them playing safe especially with OL concerns right now. But the unit looks good and I hope they do lean on the run game. Because it’s going to take a few weeks before I think he and the WR’s can really click. I think Ertz will be heavily involved with Jayden early. Jahan needs to produce. These bobbles and things gotta stop he came out short handed. Like I hope something clicks for him because Jayden needs help

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I think it’s clear the Jayden has real arm talent!!! I’m okay them playing safe especially with OL concerns right now. But the unit looks good and I hope they do lean on the run game. Because it’s going to take a few weeks before I think he and the WR’s can really click. I think Ertz will be heavily involved with Jayden early. Jahan needs to produce. These bobbles and things gotta stop he came out short handed. Like I hope something clicks for him because Jayden needs help

As the season goes on Ben S. will be a big help for him. 

• Like 2

If Jayden Daniels becomes what the Commanders believe he will, everyone may look back on one play in Saturday’s preseason opener as the moment they knew for sure. The rookie quarterback played one series, went 2-for-3 for 45 yards and scored on a 3-yard run.

It was the third play from scrimmage when Daniels showed the team he’s ready. The Commanders faced a third-and-six, and as Daniels came to the line, he realized the play called by offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury had no prayer of succeeding. The Jets had seven defenders in the box.

So, Daniels checked out of it, sending Dyami Brown on a go route, and the two connected for a 42-yard gain.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jayden-daniels-impresses-commanders-with-audible-for-a-big-play

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Watching the game back from the All-22, some of the concerns I’ve had with Jayden were still there. 

He still does not want to throw the ball over the middle of the field. Once again, before I get beat up for this, I’m not saying he categorically refuses to do so. He just doesn’t like to. It’s always an extra beat, an extra pause before he’ll throw it over the middle. There was a play that stood out in the 2nd half. Tampa is playing zone and Zaccheaus gets on top of the first level defender, on a route that is taking him into the open area in the middle of the field. Jayden looked right at him, but he just couldn’t pull the trigger. Ended up eating it and took a sack.

I very much appreciate his aversion to turnovers, because I think it’s a common trait among QBs who are consistently playing winning football. But in the NFL especially, low risk mostly means low reward too. He’s got to get to the point where he’ll let some of those trust/anticipation throws loose. 

The other issue is the fact that when he breaks the pocket, it’s always to run and almost never with the intention of re-setting to throw. He missed a couple big opportunities in those situations (one to Terry, I think, in the first half) where guys had uncovered and had a shot at making a chunk play. 

Beyond even just the missed plays, I think there are other benefits to throwing the ball in those situations sometimes. Keep the downfield defenders honest a tick longer, get your guys involved and let them make some plays, and for God’s sake avoid exposing yourself to so many hits or awkward slides. 

Overall, I feel very positive about Jayden. He doesn’t have the weapons to be what Stroud was last year — that became pretty much immediately clear — but he showed some nice things. The big step is going to be getting him to ratchet up some of that big play hunting as time goes on.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Watching the game back from the All-22, some of the concerns I’ve had with Jayden were still there. 

He still does not want to throw the ball over the middle of the field. Once again, before I get beat up for this, I’m not saying he categorically refuses to do so. He just doesn’t like to. It’s always an extra beat, an extra pause before he’ll throw it over the middle. There was a play that stood out in the 2nd half. Tampa is playing zone and Zaccheaus gets on top of the first level defender, on a route that is taking him into the open area in the middle of the field. Jayden looked right at him, but he just couldn’t pull the trigger. Ended up eating it and took a sack.

I very much appreciate his aversion to turnovers, because I think it’s a common trait among QBs who are consistently playing winning football. But in the NFL especially, low risk mostly means low reward too. He’s got to get to the point where he’ll let some of those trust/anticipation throws loose. 

The other issue is the fact that when he breaks the pocket, it’s always to run and almost never with the intention of re-setting to throw. He missed a couple big opportunities in those situations (one to Terry, I think, in the first half) where guys had uncovered and had a shot at making a chunk play. 

Beyond even just the missed plays, I think there are other benefits to throwing the ball in those situations sometimes. Keep the downfield defenders honest a tick longer, get your guys involved and let them make some plays, and for God’s sake avoid exposing yourself to so many hits or awkward slides. 

Overall, I feel very positive about Jayden. He doesn’t have the weapons to be what Stroud was last year — that became pretty much immediately clear — but he showed some nice things. The big step is going to be getting him to ratchet up some of that big play hunting as time goes on.

I watched a bit of the All-22 as well. I agree with your assessment and wanted to come say much the same thing. I think he just doesn't know what "open" is in the NFL just yet. He had two WRs running wide open last year (at least in terms of the NFL) and was easier to pull the trigger and throw to them. He will learn what receivers being "open" in the NFL is (or at least NEEDS to learn it).

The bolded is what sticks out to me and echoes RG3 and one reason why I wasn't completely enamored with either as a prospect. Good QBs are trying to make things happen with their legs and by getting defenders to break coverage to stop you running, you can throw to open receivers. But if you're tucking your head and running and not looking to throw, you won't have defenders worried about covering their receivers and you won't scramble for as many yards as you could've. Also his inability to FRICKIN SLIDE is driving me up a FRICKIN wall.

But yes, I am somewhat positive about him. I hope to see much more improvement over the season and hope he learns to slide and stay healthy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I watched a bit of the All-22 as well. I agree with your assessment and wanted to come say much the same thing. I think he just doesn't know what "open" is in the NFL just yet. He had two WRs running wide open last year (at least in terms of the NFL) and was easier to pull the trigger and throw to them. He will learn what receivers being "open" in the NFL is (or at least NEEDS to learn it).

The bolded is what sticks out to me and echoes RG3 and one reason why I wasn't completely enamored with either as a prospect. Good QBs are trying to make things happen with their legs and by getting defenders to break coverage to stop you running, you can throw to open receivers. But if you're tucking your head and running and not looking to throw, you won't have defenders worried about covering their receivers and you won't scramble for as many yards as you could've. Also his inability to FRICKIN SLIDE is driving me up a FRICKIN wall.

But yes, I am somewhat positive about him. I hope to see much more improvement over the season and hope he learns to slide and stay healthy.

My hope is that you can get him to learn how to make those progressions on the run.  Fact is, against most defenses in college, Daniels was the superior athlete and could make the one read, break out of the pocket and run the ball.  He’s not going to have the margin of error against NFL caliber starters.  As he gets more experience, he’s going to have to go against that instinct to tuck and run.  I think that’s the biggest thing that he’s got to learn.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Yeah there’s a play where he tucks it right as two guys come across the middle bad concept play wise but McCaffery is coming open right as he tucks it. I simple side step and throw it’s a 10 yard completion or more with space to run. He will get it. This is the part I knew would take some time. I think as he finds his comfort he makes those throws

• Like 2

23 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Jayden Daniels is currently on pace for 1,496 yards rushing & 34 rushing TD's. (& 0 passing TD's) 

😂

NFL MVP baby!

Ugh, I hope those aren't his stats. If fact I don't think there's any way those are his rushing stats. He would get hurt before he'd be able to rush for that many rushing yards and rushing TDs. He needs to get rid of the ball in the passing game more often, Kingsbury needs to draw up some easy completions to RBs, TEs & WRs and our TEs/WRs need to get more separation so we can start having 250 plus yard, 1 to 3 TD passing games instead of the rushing attack from Jay being the main part of our offense.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Yeah there’s a play where he tucks it right as two guys come across the middle bad concept play wise but McCaffery is coming open right as he tucks it. I simple side step and throw it’s a 10 yard completion or more with space to run. He will get it. This is the part I knew would take some time. I think as he finds his comfort he makes those throws

I hear everyone saying he will get it. I think it was Thai who said “he will learn what open is in the NFL.” etc

Look, I hope that's the case. This has always been a concern with me with Daniels as I watched him at LSU. I do sure hope he gets it and develops more into a guy willing to pass it on rhythm over the middle instead of hesitating, I hope he learns to slide in the pocket to buy time to find a WR breaking open and I hope when he starts to evade pass rush that instead of just taking off and running with his head down that he's looking up for WRs to break free bc he had an opportunity to get each of those things week 1 as everyone is pointing out. 

I know it's just week 1, but it's still a concern for me that he is looking to take off and run more when he's pressured rather than resetting in the pocket and finding someone open or when he is breaking the pocket he's looking to be a passer still before being a runner.

He needs to do these things. We need to see progress in him as a passer in these pro concepts instead of him looking to be a runner when he's pressured.

It’s still a major concern for me. I hate to do this but I just look at Howell last year as a passer in the pocket or even on the run when pressured vs what we saw out of Jayden on Sunday and Howell looked better most of the time as a passer & in the pocket than what we saw out of Jayden vs the Bucs.

I know it's just one game so I’m not going to totally overreact but I need to see a lot more out of Jayden as a passer.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Good breakdown from old friend Chase Daniel.

One of the nice things he focused on a little with Jayden are a few of the plays where the ball comes out quickly. That’s one thing we heard about him during the draft buildup, the pre-snap numbers stuff and the quick processing. The risk aversion does absolutely manifest itself in smart, safe, dump-off plays like some of the ones Chase discusses.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2024 at 3:38 PM, e16bball said:

Good breakdown from old friend Chase Daniel.

One of the nice things he focused on a little with Jayden are a few of the plays where the ball comes out quickly. That’s one thing we heard about him during the draft buildup, the pre-snap numbers stuff and the quick processing. The risk aversion does absolutely manifest itself in smart, safe, dump-off plays like some of the ones Chase discusses.

Chase Daniel should’ve been our #3 QB in 2009 over Colt Brennan. It’s a damn shame he wasn't a career back for us. He's great at breaking down film and is so smart.