[UPDATE: OVERTURNED] --- NFL ordered to pay $4.7 billion+ in Sunday Ticket class action lawsuit

RaidersAreOne

20 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Why do so many people so strongly desire the NFL pay billions in a civil jury award?

This is an incredibly common occurrence in big jury verdicts for entire history of our country and before going back centuries to common law England.

I agree and want to ride with you on this take because there is some misrepresentation and misinformation in the thread, but before I commit - I am having trouble resolving the idea that the judge did not order a remittitur or a new case.

Like, if the idea is that the damages were excessive, or arrived at incorrectly, then why not adjust the damages or redeliberate them? Why just cancel the verdict? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I agree and want to ride with you on this take because there is some misrepresentation and misinformation in the thread, but before I commit - I am having trouble resolving the idea that the judge did not order a remittitur or a new case.

Like, if the idea is that the damages were excessive, or arrived at incorrectly, then why not adjust the damages or redeliberate them? Why just cancel the verdict? 

I am speaking general concepts.  I have not read the case nor do I care to.

It could be NFL broke the law or a tort and deserve to pay an amount in punishment.  Probably not several billion dollars.   But I don't really know.

Edited by dll2000
typo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It could be NFL broke the law or a tort and deserve to pay an amount in punishment.  Probably not several billion dollars.   But I don't really know.

Yeah, sorry I meant those questions rhetorically for the class, not to attempt to frame you as the opposing viewpoint. 

But I can see how it kind of reads like that in hindsight.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Who are you to demand what they charge?   Should I be able to set price for your services?   If it is too much, don't pay it.  That is way commerce works. 

I have never paid for Sunday ticket or Redzone and haven't paid for cable in more than 20 years.   I haven't bought HBO or Max for Hard Knocks.  I haven't had ESPN for a very long while.   I have also never flown first class or driven a Porsche or lived in a 4 bedroom house.   I seldom go out to eat to fancy restaurants.   I would do all these things if price was cheaper.   Do I demand justice?  

You have zero evidence there was a bribe of any kind.  Overturned large jury verdicts are common.  But you have this guy getting superbowl tickets for his son.

45 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Okay so you're sitting here asking these questions, drawing conclusions about those against the NFL, but you haven't actually read anything about the case OR care to read about the case?

I'm not going to answer your questions for you, but literally every question you've asked in these 2 posts is answered in the original AP article and the AP article about the judge overturning the ruling. If you have 10 extra minutes in your day, I implore you to read them.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Okay so you're sitting here asking these questions, drawing conclusions about those against the NFL, but you haven't actually read anything about the case OR care to read about the case?

I'm not going to answer your questions for you, but literally every question you've asked in these 2 posts is answered in the original AP article and the AP article about the judge overturning the ruling. If you have 10 extra minutes in your day, I implore you to read them.

Ironically, money aside and trust/antitrust aside, I still always believed the smoking gun in the case was their marketing PROMISE of “EVERY GAME” through the Sunday Ticket, which proved to be false with TNF, Amazon, Netflix, Peacock, and NFL Network games not being shown through that platform. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ironically, money aside and trust/antitrust aside, I still always believed the smoking gun in the case was their marketing PROMISE of “EVERY GAME” through the Sunday Ticket, which proved to be false with TNF, Amazon, Netflix, Peacock, and NFL Network games not being shown through that platform. 

I also can't remember, but were playoff games also blacked out on sunday ticket?

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Who are you to demand what they charge?   Should I be able to set price for your services?   If it is too much, don't pay it.  That is way commerce works. 

I have never paid for Sunday ticket or Redzone and haven't paid for cable in more than 20 years.   I haven't bought HBO or Max for Hard Knocks.  I haven't had ESPN for a very long while.   I have also never flown first class or driven a Porsche or lived in a 4 bedroom house.   I seldom go out to eat to fancy restaurants.   I would do all these things if price was cheaper.   Do I demand justice?  

You have zero evidence there was a bribe of any kind.  Overturned large jury verdicts are common.  But you have this guy getting superbowl tickets for his son.

TLDR; You can literally sue for this, and the main benefactor of this case was small businesses and sports bars who paid for this EXPENSIVE commercial license.

Which was overpriced for them. I'm just complaining from my angle as an NFL sunday ticket owner of the youtube variety.

That works for you specifically. For the owner of a sports bar who needs the NFL during NFL season....what are ya gonna do? Not pay for the license and the main reason people come to your bar during peak bar season? 

34 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Terms of service takes care of that granted it might not be binding as most judges are throwing those out. 

13 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I also can't remember, but were playoff games also blacked out on sunday ticket?

I'm gonna do with no cause that sounds stupid but this is the NFL and I can't find it in the text of the case.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I believe so, but that was a part of their catch all “blackout rules apply” and also given that it was always the caveat of “regular season games”, which I begrudgingly accepted.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Xmad said:

Terms of service takes care of that granted it might not be binding as most judges are throwing those out

Yes and No, because of the word “exclusive” being used. So, it should have been a “which is it” situation:

It is either a monopoly and trust OR it’s a failure to deliver a binding agreement.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Yes and No, because of the word “exclusive” being used. So, it should have been a “which is it” situation:

It is either a monopoly and trust OR it’s a failure to deliver a binding agreement.

It can be both. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yes, I was saying “at minimum” it’s one or the other given that logic above

There is no logic when it comes to court cases. Only who has the better lawyers and deeper pockets for the judge.

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Q: What is the law?

A: Whatever the judge says it is on that day.

And if that judge doesn't rule in your favor, appeal your case until one does.*

* this neat trick only works if you're rich enough.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 12:10 PM, MWil23 said:

From the Sunday Ticket's inception though, it was never showing Sunday and Monday night games. Thursday night quickly became a thing too, and they were never shown.

This is the current verbiage google is using:

"NFL Sunday Ticket is a premium sports package bringing you Sunday afternoon (Eastern Time) regular season National Football League (NFL) games not carried on local broadcasts in your area. The action begins this season on Sunday, September 8."

Without trying to find (if I even could) the old verbiage from directv, I bet it was similar. Saying that is a smoking gun is fine (because they did used to say "every game" in the commercials and may still) - but that's most products or deals out there. Its like "50% OFF the WHOLE store" and then in tiny print "except anything you would actually want"