2024 Training Camp Thread

2 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I just don't see what Sudfeld brings. He's not consistent and he doesn't have any dynamic potential. I've seen so little of any kind of upside.

Best clipboard carrier? He probably brings most of his value to the meetings, which we fans don't get to see. 

• Like 1

I'd like Hooker to get more reps but keeping him out of this game makes some sense at this point. He's clearly better than Sudfeld and should get regular season backup duties. We don't want him taking those shots he was taking. Just keep Nate in there until this is over at this point.

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

I'd like Hooker to get more reps but keeping him out of this game makes some sense at this point. He's clearly better than Sudfeld and should get regular season backup duties. We don't want him taking those shots he was taking. Just keep Nate in there until this is over at this point.

HH to locker room... hope he's ok

concussion, ****, there goes #2 bid, cant practice for 2 weeks.

Edited by fattlipp

A couple of your players stood out to me, in good and bad ways. I was specifically watching Giants players last night, so if a Lion stood out to me, I take that as meaning they were especially impressive or especially bad.

Nate Sudfeld is one of the worst QBs I've ever seen. But having seen a little bit of the discourse on this thread just on this page, you guys seem to be in agreement with me on that.

Sione Vaki has juice. Based on his body type, and the fact that I don't think I saw him take any defensive snaps, it looks like they are going to make him focus on RB? He looks big and explosive. May have something there.

Hendon Hooker had some flashes. He was moving really well. He definitely missed some chances, but he definitely gave reasons for optimism. Looks like he got hurt though, so I don't think you can dump Sudfeld just yet.

I still think the Lions are going to be one of the better teams in football this year, but if I were a Lions fan, I'd be worried about my depth throughout the roster and especially at QB. We know the Giants don't really have good depth either, and, maybe this is a bit of a homer take, but the Giants backups seemed to be dominating the Lions backups throughout the entire game last night.

I still expect a 1st or 2nd place NFC North finish for them and for sure a playoff appearance, but there should be some moves to bolster the bottom of the roster before week 1. Funnily enough, I think the Giants will have to roster Tommy Devito on their 53 because a team like the Lions would definitely be a candidate to try to sign him if he is cut.

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

A couple of your players stood out to me, in good and bad ways. I was specifically watching Giants players last night, so if a Lion stood out to me, I take that as meaning they were especially impressive or especially bad.

Nate Sudfeld is one of the worst QBs I've ever seen. But having seen a little bit of the discourse on this thread just on this page, you guys seem to be in agreement with me on that.

Sione Vaki has juice. Based on his body type, and the fact that I don't think I saw him take any defensive snaps, it looks like they are going to make him focus on RB? He looks big and explosive. May have something there.

Hendon Hooker had some flashes. He was moving really well. He definitely missed some chances, but he definitely gave reasons for optimism. Looks like he got hurt though, so I don't think you can dump Sudfeld just yet.

I still think the Lions are going to be one of the better teams in football this year, but if I were a Lions fan, I'd be worried about my depth throughout the roster and especially at QB. We know the Giants don't really have good depth either, and, maybe this is a bit of a homer take, but the Giants backups seemed to be dominating the Lions backups throughout the entire game last night.

I still expect a 1st or 2nd place NFC North finish for them and for sure a playoff appearance, but there should be some moves to bolster the bottom of the roster before week 1. Funnily enough, I think the Giants will have to roster Tommy Devito on their 53 because a team like the Lions would definitely be a candidate to try to sign him if he is cut.

Oh, one more thing: I know your kicker got hurt and is out for the year, so the guy you had kicking today is a prospective replacement. Obviously it was an extremely small sample size, but that kid kicked a 50+ yarder in the pouring rain in Metlife. That is not easy to do. It's a very good sign. That one kickoff he had that bounced super early and was illegal with the new rules was weird; I won't put that on him. Based on very little admittedly, I have a feeling that was on purpose and was a coaching mistake?

38 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Oh, one more thing: I know your kicker got hurt and is out for the year, so the guy you had kicking today is a prospective replacement. Obviously it was an extremely small sample size, but that kid kicked a 50+ yarder in the pouring rain in Metlife. That is not easy to do. It's a very good sign. That one kickoff he had that bounced super early and was illegal with the new rules was weird; I won't put that on him. Based on very little admittedly, I have a feeling that was on purpose and was a coaching mistake?

Bates' leg power has never been the question. It's his accuracy and consistency. MCDC said in an interview today that they told Bates they were rolling with him. So it's doubtful they bring anyone else in unless he completely falls apart the next few weeks. 

It wouldn't shock me if Jack Fox handled our kickoff duties come regular season. MCDC said Bates "miss hit" the ball during the kick, and also mentioned Bagley would have been the perfect kicker for the new kickoff rules because leg strength isn't as much of a factor. 

Edited by Nnivolcm

6 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I didn't watch the game but by most accounts Brodric Martin played well and showed a fair amount of progress.  One odd thing about his stat line is that he was credited with 2 passes defended.  That isn't something you would expect from a 330 Lb NT.

He did play well. I definitely expect him to swat balls at the line, though. He's got big mitts and that's a part of his game. Our 2nd unit DLine was pretty great.

Honestly it's really difficult to tell how almost anyone played because of how poor Sudfeld was. I thought our defense played pretty well until they started getting gashed by RBs. Secondary was pretty good.

It's hard to convey just how bad Sudfeld was. He was missing throws, he was missing reads, holding the ball too long, taking unnecessary sacks, etc. About the only thing he did well was protect the ball. Hooker came in and was pretty solid. Showed some flashes, has an arm, mobile, definitely a gamer. He definitely seeks out contact. Layed some wood but also took some big shots. He can't be the backup if he can't protect his health. He's talented enough, just gotta get his mindset right.

• Like 1