Training Camp Thread

10 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I think we’re going to see more and more teams keep 3 QBs given the new emergency QB rule. 

3 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Specifically the rule allows for the emergency 3rd QB to be ready to be activated into the game without taking up a game day 46 spot.

But he has to be on the 53.

Theoretically he could be activated every week from the PS (for the frost 3 weeks) but would be subject to waivers each time. 

keeping a 3rd QB essentially allows you to dress 47 on game day and have  your emergency QB available. 

Can't argue the reasoning.....still stings, but at least there's a better justification for 3.  Good pickup.

So, before this thread goes away I've got a question. Usually after the preseason games I've got a bit of a feel for what we are but this year I can't really get anything from our PS games. For years with 4 games everybody used them pretty similarly. With starters, 1st game a series, two tops. 2nd game about the same, 3rd game up to a half aand 4th game just backups fighting for a spot.

Can anybody make any sense or explain what if anything we as fans learned from this years 3 games?

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So, before this thread goes away I've got a question. Usually after the preseason games I've got a bit of a feel for what we are but this year I can't really get anything from our PS games. For years with 4 games everybody used them pretty similarly. With starters, 1st game a series, two tops. 2nd game about the same, 3rd game up to a half aand 4th game just backups fighting for a spot.

Can anybody make any sense or explain what if anything we as fans learned from this years 3 games?

Even with the old "1 quarter, first half, 3 quarters" standard just teams used for preseason, it was never a very transparent barometer for team success. iirc, the 0-16 Lions were undefeated in the preseason. Any coach/playcaller worth their salt aren't running anything exotic. 

The coaches clearly are evaluating team practices/joint practices much more heavily. Sean mcvay famously doesn't give any snaps to his starters and they've been one of the best teams in the NFC since he took over. 

As a fan, I'd like to see starters vs. starters for the peace of mind aspect but it's clear coaches have leaned heavily on practice tape as the years have gone on.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I would say we learned at least what COULD be possible from our offense and somewhat on defense. We saw Ellis show signs he could be a good pass rusher. We saw AbramsDrain look like he has a nose for the ball and quick hands.

We saw Bo able to throw to the middle of the field and anticipate throws instead of waiting for then to be open, and also place the ball where they could make plays with it.  We saw him show awareness in the pocket and ability to run if needed.

Idk how exactly all these things will translate vs first teamers, but we at least now know they exist

• Like 2

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5739523/2024/09/04/denver-broncos-observations-week-1/

This article had an interesting tidbit on our defensive scheme this year in comparison to last year. The short of it is we're switching from a 2 gap approach we had last year to a 1 gap approach. Hopefully the added talent and change of scheme leads to much better results because last year outside of an impressive stretch of turnovers, we were pretty bad on that side of the ball. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5739523/2024/09/04/denver-broncos-observations-week-1/

This article had an interesting tidbit on our defensive scheme this year in comparison to last year. The short of it is we're switching from a 2 gap approach we had last year to a 1 gap approach. Hopefully the added talent and change of scheme leads to much better results because last year outside of an impressive stretch of turnovers, we were pretty bad on that side of the ball. 

I love this! In addition to being my favorite defense I think this team in particular is built this way. Our LBs are better running down hill and blitzing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rcpbawler said:

Even with the old "1 quarter, first half, 3 quarters" standard just teams used for preseason, it was never a very transparent barometer for team success. iirc, the 0-16 Lions were undefeated in the preseason. Any coach/playcaller worth their salt aren't running anything exotic. 

The coaches clearly are evaluating team practices/joint practices much more heavily. Sean mcvay famously doesn't give any snaps to his starters and they've been one of the best teams in the NFC since he took over. 

As a fan, I'd like to see starters vs. starters for the peace of mind aspect but it's clear coaches have leaned heavily on practice tape as the years have gone on.

I get that, that's not so much  what I'm  talking about. Regardless of how vanilla things are, the 1 on 1's in  the trenches were real and you actually got to watch starter vs starter. You'd come away from the preseason with a pretty good idea of how good you are at the LOS. This year I haven't really got a clue. 

We should be better on D with our added personnel but I'm just guessing about our OL.

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I get that, that's not so much  what I'm  talking about. Regardless of how vanilla things are, the 1 on 1's in  the trenches were real and you actually got to watch starter vs starter. You'd come away from the preseason with a pretty good idea of how good you are at the LOS. This year I haven't really got a clue. 

We should be better on D with our added personnel but I'm just guessing about our OL.

Yeah. Have no idea how our lines will do. The only thing I could get out of preseason this year was that we finally have a WB that can throw on Rythm and to all parts of the field. 

6 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Yeah. Have no idea how our lines will do. The only thing I could get out of preseason this year was that we finally have a WB that can throw on Rythm and to all parts of the field. 

That's about all I got too. Whether or not Bo succeeds has a great deal to do with our OL and I have no take on them or Wattenberg at all.

Oh well, by this time tomorrow we should have a pretty good idea.

• Like 1

After getting overly optimistic prior to the last couple of seasons I really tried to temper expectations and expected a loss in Seattle anyway. That said...

The Good- Special teams really in all facets. The new kickoff and coverage seemed good, Lutz made his kicks look easy, punted way too much but looked great when doing so and directly influenced the scoreboard. Tremon Smith continues to show why he's worth his roster spot. 

Zach Allen was awesome, the only guy on the line that is a true difference maker. Played all but 2 snaps as well. 

As a whole, I feel like the secondary played really well. PS2 held DK in check, Jaquan was in the backfield and, outside of a BS PI (the announcing crew as well as Todd Davis noted that you're allowed to hand check once the QB leaves the pocket) he was solid and Moss I thought held up outside of losing the edge on the Walker TD. He gave up the game-sealing first down to Lockett but played it about as well as one could and the WR made a great one handed stab to seal it.

The bad- This offense as a whole. Just no dynamism at all. Horizontal offenses don't work when you don't have players who can make dudes miss in space. Marvin Mims may not be a great receiver but he at least has some juice to his game which was very much needed. Same with Troy Franklin. Seattle didn't respect the deep ball, were triggering downhill as soon as the ball was released and making sure tackles. Even if it's just to keep the defense honest, you need to sprinkle in some deep shots in todays NFL.

After starting the game off with their hair on fire, the DL lost it's footing, particularly in the 2nd half/3rd quarter. No idea why the signing of Malcom Roach and trading for Franklin-Myers seemed to quell the need in the trenches. Outside of QB, it was my biggest concern going into the draft and remained so going into week one. We really need impact players on the interior.

The Ugly- I'll preface this by saying that I was not a fan of the Nix selection initially but understood it and believe that Sean can get the most out of him. From his interviews and hearing him speak, I do believe he can become a very good starting QB in this league. That said... oof. Another reason not to buy into preseason hype. Clearly didn't look comfortable throwing downfield. In his defense, there were a few drops that effected offensive rhythym, the run game was non-existent and the receivers were not getting clear separation. He also just missed a few throws, missed some reads and just made bad decisions. I felt like I had lower expectations that most and it was still a disappointment.

• Like 2