49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk has officially requested for a trade

RaidersAreOne

9 minutes ago, GW21 said:

If I’m running things I’m not trading him for anything less than he’s worth. Why the hell would you give the Steelers a discount just because he wants to go there?

The fact that trade talks are gearing up now, a month before the season starts, more so than in the offseason, even though the offers haven’t improved, implies that something’s changed. Either SF is tired of the drama, they were comfortable paying him before the WR boom (but not after), or Aiyuk’s iterated he’ll hold out even longer. If he’s not willing to play, is causing too much of a distraction, or ultimately isn’t going to ever be someone they’re willing to pay (at the price that he wants), then it’s a wasted asset. It sounds silly but it happens all the time in the NFL, where guys get traded for less than they’re actually worth, for one reason or another.

Who knows what’s going on in SF’s FO, that stuff is conjecture. But if it were as simple as just forcing him to play on the option, then I don’t think SF would be doing what they’re doing. Something has to have changed.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Soko said:

The fact that trade talks are gearing up now, a month before the season starts, more so than in the offseason, even though the offers haven’t improved, implies that something’s changed. Either SF is tired of the drama, they were comfortable paying him before the WR boom (but not after), or Aiyuk’s iterated he’ll hold out even longer. If he’s not willing to play, is causing too much of a distraction, or ultimately isn’t going to ever be someone they’re willing to pay (at the price that he wants), then it’s a wasted asset. It sounds silly but it happens all the time in the NFL, where guys get traded for less than they’re actually worth, for one reason or another.

Who knows what’s going on in SF’s FO, that stuff is conjecture. But if it were as simple as just forcing him to play on the option, then I don’t think SF would be doing what they’re doing. Something has to have changed.

Sure, but if there is nothing saying we need to do anything now when his value is seemingly very low.

Kyle is very quick to get pissed off at players and move on, but selling low is just plain stupid.

There may still be injuries to a WR on a team that think they’re a contender that could really change things as well. 

8 minutes ago, typecast said:

Kittle, Deebo, and Bosa have already shown they are pushovers.

Eh, Bosa maybe, but I don’t see the other two.

Deebo tried to pull the trade card on us and we didn’t do it because we didn’t get what we wanted, although in hindsight Garrett Wilson (the pick NYJ supposedly offered) would have been a good deal.

I don’t remember Kittles contract being contentious at all. It didn’t happen right away, but none of our contracts do outside of Jimmy G’s :(. 

19 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I concur. Pickens would almost have to be part of the deal unless they are willing to give up their FRP. Everyone is saying “BA refused to go to Cleveland and New England, so Pittsburgh is the only option”, but he is under contract with the 49ers. 

If I’m running things I’m not trading him for anything less than he’s worth. Why the hell would you give the Steelers a discount just because he wants to go there?

Basically I’d tell him “Look, we let you explore your options and NE and Cleveland will give us what we want to move you and have met your contract demands, Pittsburgh is not willing to give us what we need to ship you out. You have three options:
1. Go to NE or Cleveland and sign a contract with them
2. Play here and finish out your contract. We may exercise our right under the CBA to franchise you after the season. 
3. Sit out and collect fines and possibly lose an accrual of a season on your current contract.”

Aiyuk can stay in camp and continue with " injuries", collect his paycheck and see where things are in 2025.  If SF wants to use the franchise tag, that would be their choice.

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

Eh, Bosa maybe, but I don’t see the other two.

Deebo tried to pull the trade card on us and we didn’t do it because we didn’t get what we wanted, although in hindsight Garrett Wilson (the pick NYJ supposedly offered) would have been a good deal.

I don’t remember Kittles contract being contentious at all. It didn’t happen right away, but none of our contracts do outside of Jimmy G’s :(. 

Kittle wanted to be paid like a WR, the 49ers didn't. The 49ers low-balled him on a TE extension. Kittle refused the offer. The 49ers went quiet and stopped negotiating. Training camp rolled around and the team caved, paying him what he wanted. Happened with Deebo and Bosa. Deebo escalated it with the trade request and social media pressure. The team still caved and gave them what they wanted in their contract extensions.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, GW21 said:

The niners first contract offer to George kittle was famously dubbed "the Valentine's Day massacre" by kittles agent because of how bad it was

• Like 3

Washington gets Aiyuk
Denver gets picks from WAS
SF gets Courtland Sutton

might need to toss some mid round picks here and there for balance, but that could be a framework that gets something done.  Sutton would have a base salary of $13M and if cut after 2024, a dead cap of $3.8M for 2025. 

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Washington gets Aiyuk
SF gets Courtland Sutton

And James Harrison gets suspended 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

The niners first contract offer to George kittle was famously dubbed "the Valentine's Day massacre" by kittles agent because of how bad it was

I do recall reading that, but again that’s an initial offer. I believe he was just barely the highest paid TE in the league at the time he got his contract just ahead of Kelce. 

Maybe it just didn’t seem as contentious as Deebo and what’s going on with BA now because he wasn’t whining about it all offseason on social media.

I’m also not defending all the moves that this FO has made. Keeping Armstead instead of Buck was stupid imo.

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Washington gets Aiyuk
SF gets Courtland Sutton

might need to toss some mid round picks here and there for balance, but that could be a framework that gets something done.  Sutton would have a base salary of $13M and if cut after 2024, a dead cap of $3.8M for 2025. 

I have thought that Adam Peters is likely not giving more than a third round pick for Aiyuk.  The Commanders are not one player away, and an early first and early second are invaluable still to rebuild this team. 

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

I have thought that Adam Peters is likely not giving more than a third round pick for Aiyuk.  The Commanders are not one player away, and an early first and early second are invaluable still to rebuild this team. 

I don't think the pick compensation would be as high as a first or maybe even a 2nd.   The longer it goes, the less it might take.

Sure WAS is not 1 player away, but a big step is finding out if you have a QBotF.  adding Aiyuk helps that process and rolling out Aiyuk, McLaurin and Dotson for the next few years is a really good start.  using the remaining assets in picks and cap space to fill in the rest of the needed pieces

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Sure, but if there is nothing saying we need to do anything now when his value is seemingly very low.

Kyle is very quick to get pissed off at players and move on, but selling low is just plain stupid.

There may still be injuries to a WR on a team that think they’re a contender that could really change things as well. 

Week 1 is around the corner. I think they know who the suitors are at this point. I don’t think the market is going to get better once the season starts, I can’t remember many instances of that garnering big results from a trade perspective. Yeah, injuries can happen and that’ll change things, but that’s kind of a risky thing to count on. Like I said, the value’s going to go down at this point, not up (barring injury). 

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I don't think the pick compensation would be as high as a first or maybe even a 2nd.   The longer it goes, the less it might take.

Sure WAS is not 1 player away, but a big step is finding out if you have a QBotF.  adding Aiyuk helps that process and rolling out Aiyuk, McLaurin and Dotson for the next few years is a really good start.  using the remaining assets in picks and cap space to fill in the rest of the needed pieces

McLaurin, Dotson, Luke McCaffrey and Dyami Brown are enough for this year to determine who is what.  Dotson and Brown deserve a bit of a reset from the diasaster that was Ron Rivera and Eric Bienemy.  

Another part of the QBoTF is protecting that QB, and those high draft choices are needed to help continue to build the offensive line.  

I think it’s telling that Adam Peters, former AGM of the 49ers, has seemingly been out on Aiyuk throughout the entire off-season despite his own familiarity with Aiyuk, as well as Jayden Daniels’ familiarity and friendship with Aiyuk.  Something doesn’t smell right. 

If it’s a third, I’m open to it, but not any more than that. 

49 minutes ago, Soko said:

Well said. I absolutely subscribe to this thought as well. 

Something in the equation has changed. Even if its just them now believing that he's going to stick to his guns and hold out until he doesn't have to. Or they believe he'll come back "pull a hammy" and bob's your uncle he never quite feels okay to get back in the lineup. 

Something altered the way the 49ers brass perceives this situation 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Well said. I absolutely subscribe to this thought as well. 

Something in the equation has changed. Even if its just them now believing that he's going to stick to his guns and hold out until he doesn't have to. Or they believe he'll come back "pull a hammy" and bob's your uncle he never quite feels okay to get back in the lineup. 

Something altered the way the 49ers brass perceives this situation 

there are enough instances of players having an "injury" when they wanted to play elsewhere and reporting to camp and then just not being able to recover from that back/neck/quad/hamstring/etc.  maybe SF realized that BA was willing to go this route and that does not help their goal of a deep playoff run

• Like 1