49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk has officially requested for a trade

RaidersAreOne

On 7/16/2024 at 1:27 PM, Forge said:

I doubt that they move him, but I'd definitely assume it's not for less than a first because he doesn't really have a lot of wiggle room. 

I'm assuming he just plays on the 5th year option. He doesn't have a whole lot of leverage to sit or anything. The problem for the niners is that they know time is running out for this group, so I can't see them just yank out Aiyuk for futures and greatly hurt their super bowl chances this year. I think that's what makes a trade difficult. If it's futures, it really has to be worth their while. They could play him on the fifth year option, tag and trade him next year for a second most likely, so there's no incentive to trade him for that. 

The team I'd watch is Washington though. They have two quality receivers, but Aiyuk and Daniels are best friends, Peters was here when the 49ers drafted Aiyuk, and they can actually send someone like Dotson which may be intriguing for a niners team that doesn't have a great avenue of replacing Aiyuk if they move him now. 

While I agree with most of this I think he will go for less than a 1st as the 49'ers need return on this trade now.  THey will get one or 2 players and maybe a 2nd but more likely a 3rd and something else.  Reports after the draft were critical of Lynch.  They could have gotten a high draft pick or 2 at the draft but now, much less.

I also do not think it is in their best interest to trade him.

6 hours ago, Refugee said:

So,  I did some lurking on your page but feel like  it’s better to ask in the general thread, what do you realistically think you can get back for Aiyuk at this point? On the one hand, he’s a talented player and young enough to continue to grow.  On the other, he’ll want top money at a very premium position and only has one year left. It’s also pretty public that he wants out of SF. Obviously none of us really know but I don’t see SF getting the same return as GB did for Adams at this stage (a 1st and 2nd in the upcoming draft). I could be wrong but that was all negotiated in a more collaborative way and this one seems to have some bad blood. Anyway, rumor was they weren’t taking less than a 1st but at some point Lynch might need to just get something reasonable for the disgruntled player. 

I can't say for sure what's going on behind the scenes, obviously, but it sure feels like the niners have blinked. And that's no bueno. Mike Silver has suggested that they are just fed up with it at this point. This has started to feel personal. 

I think that they have grossly bundled this situation. There was a time to move him and it's not now. Trading him now isn't all that different than if they tagged and traded him next season (when his value would be severely crippled as well) which is the reason I simply would not have moved him for like a second round pick after the draft. I think they've eaten a ton of their leverage. There's limited suitors to even try to play off one another. 

I think they mucked it up and then they got beat by Aiyuk in a battle of wills. I think they wanted to re-sign him, the market blew up and they may have decided they didn't want to play in the deep end of the pool. But by then, the draft had happened. It was May....teams start to get set financially and on their roster. So then they likely thought they would break Aiyuk and maybe get him to play on the option and they lost that battle too because I have to wonder if he hasn't made it clear that he's going to see it through. 

The greatest weapon in their arsenal is that the 49ers have been petty and stubborn in the past, to be honest. So that gives me hope that they would be the same here to get more value lol. 

I think if they move him, this feels like a fail. And I'm still not sure that it happens. Matt Maiocco has left open the option of staying and mentioned that he doesn't think Aiyuk really wants to get moved, he just wants to get paid and used the trade demand to put pressure on them. 

TL; DR: If they move him now, I think they have lost a lot of ground in a trade negotiation. If he goes now, I'd say like a 25 second and 26 third coming back to the niners (which is brutal). I'm not sure how legit Cleveland is as a suitor and that means Pitt can kind of sit tight on their offer, which I assume would be under market. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

While I agree with most of this I think he will go for less than a 1st as the 49'ers need return on this trade now.  THey will get one or 2 players and maybe a 2nd but more likely a 3rd and something else.  Reports after the draft were critical of Lynch.  They could have gotten a high draft pick or 2 at the draft but now, much less.

I also do not think it is in their best interest to trade him.

I agree, which was kind of the reason I thought they wouldn't move him. I think they lost the battle against Aiyuk and thought they could break him to play on the option or take a discount on the contract and he wouldn't. If you follow the 49ers, report history really make if feel like they were really surprised by the receiver market when it blew up. Subsequently they shut down contract talk. 

I don't think it'll be as low as a 3rd....49ers have proven to be stubborn enough to just say no in those situations. But I think they took a huge bite out of their value here by waiting and being non committal and then not really actively engaging in trade talks until August. I'm not sure what they were expecting at this point. 

They should just pay Aiyuk, especially if they were okay at 27-28 million. Whole thing is kind of stupid. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not sure how legit Cleveland is as a suitor and that means Pitt can kind of sit tight on their offer, which I assume would be under market. 

Well, there ya go 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

. I'm not sure how legit Cleveland is as a suitor and that means Pitt can kind of sit tight on their offer, which I assume would be under market. 

Most Steeler fans think the same way.  Playing chicken.

21 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Most Steeler fans think the same way.  Playing chicken.

Yep. Makes sense. 

Steelers are going to get a really good deal here in the trade and he's totally worth it as a player. He won't be as efficient as he was last year, of course....but I'm bullish on what he is if you give him more volume. 

1 minute ago, Steelersfan43 said:

Is Rickey a good reporter?...I know nothing about him

The belief is that he works for an agency, and there's a very decent chance that it's Athlete's first based on previously surprising news breaks he has had (Brian Burns, Calvin Ridley signing with Titans). 

He has missed some, to be clear, but he's right way more than enough to be taken credibly 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

The belief is that he works for an agency, and there's a very decent chance that it's Athlete's first based on previously surprising news breaks he has had (Brian Burns, Calvin Ridley signing with Titans). 

He has missed some, to be clear, but he's right way more than enough to be taken credible 

He just called the Butker re-signing too, and Butker doesn’t even have an agent. He said we’re re-signing Creed Humphrey too so I’m waiting patiently to see if that’s true. 

12 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

He just called the Butker re-signing too, and Butker doesn’t even have an agent. He said we’re re-signing Creed Humphrey too so I’m waiting patiently to see if that’s true. 

Yeah, he's hit a couple of the other signing from other agencies too. And had some info regarding CAA clients. His biggest swings are with the Athlete's first guys, so if he does work for an agency, thats where I'd lay my money. 

I struggle to think where else he could be with the level of knowledge he has besides an agency though. 

45 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

Is Rickey a good reporter?...I know nothing about him

Stikes me as click bait.  There is no report that the Steelers offered a 1st round pick for Aiyuk during the draft.  He is throwing stuff against the wall in hopes he is right.