WR Brandon Aiyuk Requests a Trade

Gotta say though, as much as the 49ers should’ve conceited, if Aiyuk is asking for 32, I can totally see why we slammed the door on some level. Counter at 27.5 take it or leave it then tag until we can tag him.

49ers becoming a patsy on this is a real bad look

• Like 1

I'm still surprised a team like Baltimore is just going to sit on their hands and let Aiyuk go to a division rival, when they desperately need an X. 

They would certainly need to pay a contender tax, but a first and a 2026 3rd gets it done. 

Ultimately, if the offer is a future 2nd and no player, I am going to tell Aiyuk, sorry, that isnt enough. Show up or dont, we dont care at this point, but we will tag you next year, so get used to this because ultimately you are under contract. 

8zl9y0.jpg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, N4L said:

I'm still surprised a team like Baltimore is just going to sit on their hands and let Aiyuk go to a division rival, when they desperately need an X. 

They would certainly need to pay a contender tax, but a first and a 2026 3rd gets it done. 

Ultimately, if the offer is a future 2nd and no player, I am going to tell Aiyuk, sorry, that isnt enough. Show up or dont, we dont care at this point, but we will tag you next year, so get used to this because ultimately you are under contract. 

8zl9y0.jpg

Just posted a similar sentiment in NFL News. If we aren’t going to be fairly compensated, then don’t do anything. Accept the contract from CLE or NE, come play for us and we’ll probably franchise you next year, or sit out and collect fines then possibly lose an accrued season. 

I mean there is no reason for us to give anyone a discount on a trade for BA.

I know some will bring up ‘what if he becomes a locker room cancer?’, if that becomes an issue then we can suspend him. 

I wouldn’t allow this situation to set a precedent that we can be pushed around by a player to get his way. If it has to get ugly, then so be it.

Edited by GW21
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Just posted a similar sentiment in NFL News. If we aren’t going to be fairly compensated, then don’t do anything. Accept the contract from CLE or NE, come play for us and we’ll probably franchise you next year, or sit out and collect fines then possibly lose an accrued season. 

I mean there is no reason for us to give anyone a discount on a trade for BA.

I know some will bring up ‘what if he becomes a locker room cancer?’, if that becomes an issue then we can suspend him. 

I wouldn’t allow this situation to set a precedent that we can be pushed around by a player to get his way. If it has to get ugly, then so be it.

We can't afford the 25M WR tender in 2025. He'll play for us then walk into free agency if not extended before the league year. He knows teams are willing to pay him the market rate, so unless the 49ers up there offer, he's gone. The compensation is maybe a compensatory 3rd round pick. If the 49ers are going to up there offer, they need to do it before the start of the league year, so they can roll over some more cap into next year to offset his 2025 cap hit.

I'm not worried about Aiyuk's attitude going into a season where he's forced to play without an extension. I'm more worried about Kyle dog-housing him because he won't extend.

1 minute ago, typecast said:

We can't afford the 25M WR tender in 2025. He'll play for us then walk into free agency if not extended before the league year. He knows teams are willing to pay him the market rate, so unless the 49ers up there offer, he's gone. The compensation is maybe a compensatory 3rd round pick. If the 49ers are going to up there offer, they need to do it before the start of the league year, so they can roll over some more cap into next year to offset his 2025 cap hit.

I'm not worried about Aiyuk's attitude going into a season where he's forced to play without an extension. I'm more worried about Kyle dog-housing him because he won't extend.

I’m pretty confident we could find a way to make it work if that’s the route we wanted to go.

4 minutes ago, typecast said:

I'm more worried about Kyle dog-housing him because he won't extend.

lol what? 

4 minutes ago, typecast said:

The compensation is maybe a compensatory 3rd round pick

Nah, Sneed went for a 2nd while being tagged. That is the going rate. Niners could easily get a 2nd (25 or 26) for him this offseason. 

3 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I’m pretty confident we could find a way to make it work if that’s the route we wanted to go.

We need another year of cap growth that goes beyond expectations just to get under the cap. There is no more COVID money to juice the cap.

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

lol what? 

Nah, Sneed went for a 2nd while being tagged. That is the going rate. Niners could easily get a 2nd (25 or 26) for him this offseason. 

L'Jarius Sneed? The former Chiefs corner that was tag and traded for a third round pick and 7th round swap?

7 minutes ago, typecast said:

We need another year of cap growth that goes beyond expectations just to get under the cap. There is no more COVID money to juice the cap.

We will likely be in the black next year to start. Or really close to it. I think if they want to tag and trade Aiyuk, they could probably float with him for a couple of days and move him at free agency like Panthers did burns. 

But there's no way that they are playing him all year on the tag. Can't afford that. People on Twitter think the niners will flex and double tag him and it makes me giggle 

They would have to move money around to do that, to be clear. It's not just a simple tag. But if they wanted to do it, I think they could make the space

1 minute ago, Forge said:

We will likely be in the black next year to start. Or really close to it. I think if they want to tag and trade Aiyuk, they could probably float with him for a couple of days and move him at free agency like Panthers did burns. 

But there's no way that they are playing him all year on the tag. Can't afford that. People on Twitter think the niners will flex and double tag him and it makes me giggle 

The Panthers tagged him knowing it was possible to start the league year with his 24M tender on the books. They still had 11M in cap space. We'll have more than 300M in cap allocation for next season and like 26 in rollover to boost our effective cap space. The 49ers are going to be riding the line or over the cap without any tender on the books. Sure,we could tag him, but we'd have to rescind the tag or make 25M in cap space by the start of the league year. Given the 49ers are being somewhat amenable to Aiyuk's destination choice, I can't see them tagging him like this. Aiyuk would be prevented from participating in the legal tampering period.

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

They would have to move money around to do that, to be clear. It's not just a simple tag. But if they wanted to do it, I think they could make the space

My thought was a tag and trade as you mentioned. But the fact would remain that we’d still have control of him / be able to trade him at that point.