Yeah, but what about this...?

vike daddy

20 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

22 Dec:

Marcus Sherels. what's his future with the Vikings? how long will he still be in purple?

I’d guess that his time is limited, probably to the end of his current contract which, I believe, runs through the 2018 season. 

He hasn’t been the stand out on coverage units like he used to be, replaced/outshined by guys like Kearse. And his punt returning has been less than impressive. 

I think they’ll be able to find his replacement in the near future. 

I wouldn't bet against Sherels. He has a consistent pattern of overcoming. There were so many times people thought he wouldn't make the 53 man roster before he got a little security. The year he missed part of camp owing to his father's death I thought missing the preseason game was going to be the final nail for Marcus.  He just keeps on keeping on.

The end will have to come eventually. He has been a great story of hard work turning into success. Local kid walking on with the Gophers, undrafted out of college, making the team, becoming a near elite special teams player, finally on the downside but how long will that backside last? I won't bet against him. I'll continue rooting for him until he decides to retire. 

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I wouldn't bet against Sherels. He has a consistent pattern of overcoming. There were so many times people thought he wouldn't make the 53 man roster

Right, but that was with a high level of production on special teams. That production hasn’t been there this year. But that production has been there from guys like Kearse, Gedeon, and Wilson, all younger and cheaper options.

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Right, but that was with a high level of production on special teams. That production hasn’t been there this year. But that production has been there from guys like Kearse, Gedeon, and Wilson, all younger and cheaper options.

I agree, I think it's time to move on next year. I'd prefer to focus on finding positional players who have a knack for special teams, not a ST only type of player that Sherels is. 

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Yep. Any year can be his last. I am not going to be making any Nostradamus like predictions on when that day will come. Not at all unlike the end of the world as we know it (TEOTWAWKI), it will happen someday. I don't get into guessing the date of TEOTWAWKI. Many have tried and failed. Likewise, I won't be venturing a guess for the end of Marcus Sherels time with the VIkings. Many have already tried and been proven wrong there.

It's a good idea to load the bunker up with bottled water, canned goods, and ammo to be prepared. Similarly, I hope the Vikings draft at least one more guy with punt return potential this year too in case the end of Sherels happens next year.

By all accounts Sherels is very quiet, well-liked in the locker room, and a man of integrity - as well as a charming success story and one of Rochester's favorite sons (the sports section of the Post-Bulletin wouldn't shut up about him). It's always great to have guys like that on your team.

Problem is, he's been awfully quiet on the field too. The Bengals game was the perfect chance for him to show that he could make stuff happen on ST and justify his continued employment. He performed competently but that was all. Sadly, I would not be surprised to see him gone after this season.

11 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Dec 23:

Are the Vikings building a team, both offensively and defensively, that is sustainable over several consecutive years? Will we become the presumptive NFC North Division leader and perennial playoff challenger?

I think we have the personnel and the coaching to put together our first consistently successful run since the Dennis Green era. There's a lot of "ifs" in there, though: if we can weather the loss of Pat Shurmur when he eventually departs, if Spielman continues his badassery in the draft, if we get our best defensive guys re-signed, if Mike Zimmer's vision is okay in the long term ... and if we stay hungry and execute.

It's far from certain, but the potential is definitely there. (Heck, there's potential everywhere; in the early 2000s Bill Belichick built the Patriots' dynasty on castoffs, has-beens and waiver-wire players. It's about creating an environment that can make the most of that potential.)

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Dec 23:

Are the Vikings building a team, both offensively and defensively, that is sustainable over several consecutive years? Will we become the presumptive NFC North Division leader and perennial playoff challenger?

I think the defense could be sustainable for sure. The defense is unselfish and goes and does their job properly without really caring about personal stats with very smart football. The offense is only sustainable if we can retain Shurmur as our OC. I think he covers up a lot of our weaknesses and if he leaves, our offense would be in the middle of the pack at best.

Dec 23:

Yes. Because they are good at not only adding talent, but cultivating it as well. Plus, there is no one player that they are reliant on. It’s truly a well built team. 

Dec 23:

I would like to think so...yet the front office has a lot of current players who are due and have earned new contracts over the next two seasons.  I also think that there are many members of the current coaching staff that might move as a result of being recognized by other teams.  It depends, I suppose, on whether or not Zimmer has a little Belicheck in him and if Teddy or Case becomes the next Tom Brady.

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

If by sustainable you mean like 2-3 years out, then I think so.

Beyond that however is so much change that its hard to predict.

Pittsburgh, New England and Green Bay all making the playoffs year after year is pretty atypical and extremely difficult to replicate. 

Those teams all have hall of fame QBs. I believe the only way to sustain having a great team is by having a great QB. A great defense can only get you so far, year over year. Look where Denver and Seattle are right now.

10 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Dec 23:

There will still likely be skeptics because we aren't the flashy team and we rarely blow teams out on the scoreboard, but yes.

4 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Those teams all have hall of fame QBs. I believe the only way to sustain having a great team is by having a great QB. A great defense can only get you so far, year over year. Look where Denver and Seattle are right now.

Both teams took massive hits to their defenses this year.

Archived