2024 Training Camp

12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm thinking McCain was that signing. 

I don't see this signing moving the needle for us though.

Yeah he probably was but we're already 2 corners down. We've added a DB but surely need to add another true vet corner

16 minutes ago, viking said:

Yeah he probably was but we're already 2 corners down. We've added a DB but surely need to add another true vet corner

They had already added Duke Shelley last week.  That is 2 corners.

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They had already added Duke Shelley last week.  That is 2 corners.

Thanks for the correction on shelley.

I guess I'm cool with the DB room for now then

McCain, 30, spent most of last season with the Giants. He appeared in 10 games, mostly playing special teams. He was on the field for just 19 defensive snaps.

After spending six seasons with the Dolphins to begin his career, McCain played for Washington in 2021 and 2022, appearing in all 34 regular season games.

In 131 games with 87 starts, McCain has recorded 45 passes defensed with 11 interceptions.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/vikings-to-sign-db-bobby-mccain

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm thinking McCain was that signing. 

I don't see this signing moving the needle for us though.

yeah, he might be a "veteran" by definition, but he may not even make the final roster.

McCain was one of the most consistently average players per Pro Football Focus grades:

• 2015: 60.5 (71st of 112 eligible CBs)
  • 2016: 61.9 (75th/112)
  • 2017: 76.4 (29th/120)
  • 2018: 57.9 (100th/112)
  • 2019: 63.6 (55th/83)
  • 2020: 62.1 (55th/94)
  • 2021: 70.9 (26th/92)
  • 2022: 61.4 (61st/88)
  • His 49.0 in 2023 can barely be counted, as he only logged 19 snaps on defense.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/top_news/vikings-acquire-one-of/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1

On 7/28/2024 at 7:37 AM, SteelKing728 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-training-camp-recap-day-4-jalen-nailor-stakes-claim-as-wr3-01j3v33zcpn9

1. Griffin's injury isn't serious. Evans in as CB2 right now with him out.

2. Jalen Nailor looks the part but needs to stay healthy.

3. Van Ginkel is back. 

4. Our top 5 safeties are ballin'.

5. Jaren Hall looks to be the odd man out in the QB race. 

6. Will Reichard is good.

----

I am still looking to see someone from the DL start to shine, and while I'm optimistic about the defense as a whole, the CB unit does not inspire confidence. Duke Shelley isn't going to be our savior. I hope we make a move for another corner.

Who are the 5 safeties ahead of Cine?

obviously Smith, Metellus, and Bynum, but who else?

Four early winners from Training Camp:

Jalen Nailor
Nailor has created so much buzz that the battle might already be decided. He’s making highlight catches daily and caught touchdowns from each of the top three quarterbacks on Saturday, which has turned even more heads. The speedy playmaker has struggled with injuries throughout his football career, in college and the NFL, but if he can stay healthy, he could complete the receiver trifecta and run his routes next to Jefferson and Addison.

Blake Brandel
Brandel has been pretty much established as the team’s top left guard, while Risner is primarily getting reps with the second-team offense at right guard. He might be in the building to push Ed Ingram instead of Brandel. Those rotations can change quickly, but for now, Brandel should be the overwhelming favorite to be the starting left guard in September.

J.J. McCarthy
McCarthy seems way closer to game-ready one week into training camp than expected. Reports about him outplaying the veteran have surfaced, making the upset possible. The Michigan alumnus stated at the Friday press conference that he feels confident with the offense and has been making huge strides. Taking over the starting job in time for the season opener is suddenly a real possibility.

Will Reichard
Of course, he entered the camp in the pole position after costing the team draft capital, but he has still showcased enough promise for fans and coaches to feel quite confident about him. The all-time leader in points scored in the NCAA has been extremely consistent throughout his tenure with the Vikings.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/vikings-analysis/from-vikings-training-camp/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Now the pads are coming on I'm really hoping we see J Roy flash some improvement. iDL is the weakest position on the team on paper right now so it'd be great to have a serviceable DT along with Phillips

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Sounds like Jay Ward has been getting some work in at CB. 

Even though we've got a pretty thin CB room right now you can't argue with the versatility we have in the DB room!

• Like 2