Raiders Defense Thread

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You've called him a sleeper all offseason. Now he's average at best before TC even starts? 

people didn't know he was on the team, being a starter is solid. I never said he was an all pro, but can be a starter level. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Think about this: Jack Jones has only been in the NFL, one more year than Jakorian Bennett

We have a very young secondary. If they can develop, we will be set for seasons 

Hopefully Jones can continue to show he’s a #1 corner 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

We have a very young secondary. If they can develop, we will be set for seasons 

Hopefully Jones can continue to show he’s a #1 corner 

For me, I have no questions of what he does on the field. It's can he stay out of trouble. I think if he was on another team that is perennial playoff team we wouldn't actually be having questions about his play. It's because we don't make the playoffs. Every player doesn't seem to be as good as they really are. That's my take personally.

What are peoples expectations of the D this year?

We've been through a lot the last couple decades and maybe expectations are tempered by repeatedly being let down year after year. I’ve read some guys hope for a top 15 D but for me, with what we’ve got and 3 years in the same system I really would be a bit disappointed if we weren’t a legitimate top 10 D this year. 

We have our keystone DT in Wilkins, we have our elite pass rusher in Crosby and a good compliment in Koonce, we have our Field Marshall in Spillane and two solid safeties in Epps and Moehrig. Jenkins is a solid NT and run stuffer. Adam Butler is a good rotation guy. We have a great nickel CB Hobbs and a starter in Jones with the only real major point of concern CB2. 

Teams simply don’t have 11 Pro Bowlers on D due to the cap these days but we’re about as solid as you can get with continuity in scheme and coaching, a defensive HC and we showed flashes of elite defensive play last year. Anything less than top 10 D for me would be underwhelming and I hope for a top 5 D for the first time in ages 😀

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

We've been through a lot the last couple decades and maybe expectations are tempered by repeatedly being let down year after year. I’ve read some guys hope for a top 15 D but for me, with what we’ve got and 3 years in the same system I really would be a bit disappointed if we weren’t a legitimate top 10 D this year. 

We have our keystone DT in Wilkins, we have our elite pass rusher in Crosby and a good compliment in Koonce, we have our Field Marshall in Spillane and two solid safeties in Epps and Moehrig. Jenkins is a solid NT and run stuffer. Adam Butler is a good rotation guy. We have a great nickel CB Hobbs and a starter in Jones with the only real major point of concern CB2. 

Teams simply don’t have 11 Pro Bowlers on D due to the cap these days but we’re about as solid as you can get with continuity in scheme and coaching, a defensive HC and we showed flashes of elite defensive play last year. Anything less than top 10 D for me would be underwhelming and I hope for a top 5 D for the first time in ages 😀

Expect them to be top 10. Dline should be a strength. CB will be a problem. They are lacking a CB1 and the depth is suspect if injuries occur.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I guess I expect them to be no worse than last year, which was a competent defense that isn't a liability anymore.  Hopeful that an addition like Wilkins makes them even better.  They have to take the next step before I'm thinking top 10 or higher.  I don't see them as a unit that will dominate week in and week out. They will have good games and not so good, but the consistency is what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

Top 10 defense, DL should dominate and DBs are underrated. LBs are rock solid. Also there’s a little depth in most spots unlike years past. Guys like Wilson, Butler, Masterson, Pola Mao, Facyson are starters on some defenses. 

• Like 1