Is Megatron the clear cut #4 WR All-Time?

NJniners

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

I mean he's certainly Top 10, but if you ask me, #2/3 are clearly Moss/Owens

I was just kidding mostly. I wasn't being very serious with my answer. I don't do numerical rankings of players. At least across era. It doesn't really make sense to me. Hard to say what Owens or Moss would do if they were born in 1940 and played football in the 60's. They wouldn't have the same training, resources, and knowledge they benefited from years later being products of the 2000's. If Lance Alworth were born in the mid to late 70's and played ball in the late 90's/2000's, who knows how dominate he may have been. Especially when he gets to benefit from rule changes and offensive innovation favoring his position that weren't available to him before. 

Best I could do is have a top tier. Owens, Moss, Alworth, and a few others are in the top tier for me when ability and career resume are taken into account. 

Just now, PapaShogun said:

I was just kidding mostly. I wasn't being very serious with my answer. I don't do numerical rankings of players. At least across era. It doesn't really make sense to me. Hard to say what Owens or Moss would do if they were born in 1940 and played football in the 60's. They wouldn't have the same resources and knowledge they benefited from years later being products of the 2000's. If Lance Alworth were born in the mid to late 70's and played ball in the late 90's, who knows how dominate he may have been. Especially when he gets to benefit from rule changes and offensive innovation favoring his position that weren't available to him before. 

Best I could do is have a top tier. Owens, Moss, Alworth, and a few others are in the top tier for me when ability and career resume are taken into account. 

I understand that, but there is evolution of football players in terms of abilities and players. Regardless of the evolution of the game, players back in the day of Alworth just aren't the specimen you'd need to have that sort of dominance today. 

30 years from now, Moss and Owens will likely be overtaken by future athletes that they won't be able to measure up to.

16 minutes ago, Danger said:

I understand that, but there is evolution of football players in terms of abilities and players. Regardless of the evolution of the game, players back in the day of Alworth just aren't the specimen you'd need to have that sort of dominance today. 

30 years from now, Moss and Owens will likely be overtaken by future athletes that they won't be able to measure up to.

Well the scouting is different now of course. There are many more resources and knowledge for everyone to acquire better athletes and athletes to be better at their own craft. But if Alworth, is 25 years old now, being able to utilize the resources and knowledge everyone else is...well, it wouldn't be a surprise if he still dominated. He'd just be a more polished version of what he was in the 60's. Probably have a better physique (he was already 6'0" and 185 pounds) and be a better route runner. I think Moss and Owens would be a worse version of what they were in the 2000's if they played ball in the 1960's. Owens probably wouldn't have this chiseled body, and Moss' route running ability wouldn't be as refined because the knowledge they would have had at that time to hone their craft would be limited. 

Don't think Moss and Owens in 30 years will be overtaken. Unless they start making people into half cyborg. 

I think about half players from past eras even at their max potential probably wouldn't be able to hack it in the NFL today. Depends on the position though. I think guys like Archie Manning or Dan Pastorini would look a lot better today with modern day offensive coaching and offenses. Doesn't mean they'd be superstars, but they'd be better. 

12 hours ago, Danger said:

If you aren't taking era into account and are looking at what is needed to dominate today, then he is not a top hundred receiver while you have him top ten. If you are taking era into account, then he is top five all time. If you try mixing them to determine how he would play today, you cannot do that because we have no idea how he would handle modern nutrition and training or what he could learn skill wise.

On 12/22/2017 at 9:45 AM, Danger said:

Antonio Brown laughs at this statement. 

Archived