Steelers 2024 Training Camp Thread

When it comes to the OT battle, since I need to say it again (I looked through my history and I had 10 posts through 3 threads saying this lol):

My preference is that Jones is the LT.

I want Fautanu to earn his spot on the line.

Moore playing RT would be disastrous for this OL.

So that leaves you with doing what they are doing. Moore has been getting about 50% of the snaps with the 1’s, Jones has been bouncing back and forth, and Fautanu is getting about 35% of the RT snaps. I said it in the offseason that the question won’t be is Jones better than Moore at LT, it’s how quickly until Fautanu is better at RT than Moore is at RT. I think we’re trending there quickly.

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

I know this wasn't to me, but I would have just signed a backup RT in FA that they'd trust. 

But then your back to that swing tackle issue that worries some with Fautanu in place of Jones because if you traded Moore and signed a RT only then Fautanu needs to flip R to L. And I don’t feel like they would like to go into the season with needing 4 spots for OT because you have 4 side specific guys.

6 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/grantcohn/status/1820561933696897155?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

By far the most credible source so far to report an Aiyuk trade…

49ers fans are still waiting.

Cohn just said like 5 days ago that the extension with Aiyuk was done. He's only broken news once in his career so I wouldn't count him as exactly being reliable when it comes to news. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

When it comes to the OT battle, since I need to say it again (I looked through my history and I had 10 posts through 3 threads saying this lol):

My preference is that Jones is the LT.

I want Fautanu to earn his spot on the line.

Moore playing RT would be disastrous for this OL.

So that leaves you with doing what they are doing. Moore has been getting about 50% of the snaps with the 1’s, Jones has been bouncing back and forth, and Fautanu is getting about 35% of the RT snaps. I said it in the offseason that the question won’t be is Jones better than Moore at LT, it’s how quickly until Fautanu is better at RT than Moore is at RT. I think we’re trending there quickly.

I see where you're coming from. My take is that this isn't the worst thing in the world. If this is continuing after the pre-season, then I'd be pretty worried. 

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

But then your back to that swing tackle issue that worries some with Fautanu in place of Jones because if you traded Moore and signed a RT only then Fautanu needs to flip R to L. And I don’t feel like they would like to go into the season with needing 4 spots for OT because you have 4 side specific guys.

In my mind, my backup RT is a capable swing. My ideal scenario (which has no thought really at all) is to sign a Flozell Adams type of guy. Let him start at RT until Fau is ready, then allow him to shift to the swing position 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

😂

In all seriousness, I agree with you. Seems crazy that they would trade him during a clear SB window and while they still have Purdy on a rookie deal…but we watched the Chiefs trade away Tyreek Hill in the middle of Mahomes prime and it seems to have worked out pretty well for them. 

Purdy is not Mahomes.  KC was still moving up.  SF is in such a salary bind that their window is closing.  Does having Aiyuk give you a better chance than not having Aiyuk?  Yes.

The caveat would be Aiyuk is a locker room cancer at the moment.  

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

In my mind, my backup RT is a capable swing. My ideal scenario, which has no thought really at all) is to sign a Flozell Adams type of guy. Let him start at RT until Fau is ready, then allow him to shift to the swing position 

Gotcha. Yea I would have preferred that too. Just a quick look at who was out there the options were slim. Maybe Machai Becton but the Eagles have moved him to Guard already. Wynn and Collins are the only other two really available. 

4 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Should have kept watching 😁

A trade is definitely coming..

Had to feed the dogs.  I still do not think the Steelers should do it but meh.  If they do then Pickens is gone next season.

SF might do nothing and get a 3rd for him.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

Just now, August4th said:

I wonder what happens with pickens long term if we do land Aiyuk. I don't see us paying two wideouts big money at the same time

It’s not impossible. Dolphins are currently doing it while paying their QB.