Steelers 2024 Training Camp Thread

annoying seeing how thin our WR core is after spending several high picks on the position since late 10's

I keep forgetting James Washington was a 2nd round pick...yikes.

Edited by August4th

5 minutes ago, August4th said:

annoying seeing how thin our WR core is after spending several high picks on the position since late 10's

I keep forgetting James Washington was a 2nd round pick...yikes.

That's also kinda what happens when you take risks on character issue players and/or don't want to spend beyond a certain amount.

I'll assume by late 10's you mean 2015, so I think the worse part here is going to be the number of guys out of the NFL or barely handing on.

2015 - 3 Dri Archer, 4 Martavis Bryant

2016 - 3 Sammie Coats

2018 - 2 Juju Smith-Schuster (honestly more injuries than anything)

2019 - 3 Diontae Johnson

2020 - 2 Chase Claypool

2022 - 2 George Pickens

2024 - 3 Roman Wilson

Then you add in that there's rumors that they have concerns about Pickens to the level they might not resign him that means 1 out of 7 of those WR's got a serious 2nd contract.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skywlker32 said:

Multiple people referencing a Wilson injury and what that means for the team, but the conversation split into 2 because we have 2 Wilson injuries (Roman and Russell).

Yeah, the two R. Wilson's is going to get annoying lol

12 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I still think this is significant enough to trigger a vet WR acquisition in the next few days. 

I think you're right. Especially if he misses more than a week. I saw the report stated something like, he should be ready to go by the regular season. That's a lot of time missed for a position that has been tough to make the transition from college. 

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Speaking of injuries Heres wild speculation that makes no sense:

https://x.com/steelersdepot/status/1818671505326453115?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

If he's out with injury (assuming it's not career threatening), why would they cut him instead of IR him? That's ignoring that this is the opposite of what we've been hearing.

Was reading the comments on Alex’s daily depot report and it seems like Broderick Jones has taken no 1 on 1 OL/DL snaps the last two days. 

Until he is actually practicing at his starting position I’ll be a broken record on that being the most asinine thing I’ve seen a coaching staff do…but are they trying to write “how to break a developmental prospect in 10 days” movie about Jones? 

Just odd….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Was reading the comments on Alex’s daily depot report and it seems like Broderick Jones has taken no 1 on 1 OL/DL snaps the last two days. 

Until he is actually practicing at his starting position I’ll be a broken record on that being the most asinine thing I’ve seen a coaching staff do…but are they trying to write “how to break a developmental prospect in 10 days” movie about Jones? 

Just odd….

Yea now that you mention it I haven’t really heard a peep about him so far. 

7 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Yea now that you mention it I haven’t really heard a peep about him so far. 

He’s been working with the ones and twos, getting more reps than anyone in the OL room with live snaps. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

He’s been working with the ones and twos, getting more reps than anyone in the OL room with live snaps. 

There’s also reports that he is odd man out in first team reps when they give some to Troy. 

https://x.com/tribjoerutter/status/1817648313665003958?s=46

I haven’t seen a lot about him repping with the twos at LT, but I haven’t follow as much as I have in the past right now either.

I know some are going to hesitate to criticize the coaching decisions, but can we at least just all agree that this is really odd how they are treating the situation? I’m trying my best to figure out a reasonable explanation for it and only one thing comes to mind as having some semblance of reason…but it still values Dan Moore feelings over Broderick Jones development. And that doesn’t make sense. 

I feel like you are making too much out of it. The battle is really can Troy be good enough to start. If he is that moves Jones to LT and Moore to the bench. If he’s not Moore stays at the only OT position he can play and Jones is at RT.

14 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

There’s also reports that he is odd man out in first team reps when they give some to Troy. 

https://x.com/tribjoerutter/status/1817648313665003958?s=46

I haven’t seen a lot about him repping with the twos at LT, but I haven’t follow as much as I have in the past right now either.

I know some are going to hesitate to criticize the coaching decisions, but can we at least just all agree that this is really odd how they are treating the situation? I’m trying my best to figure out a reasonable explanation for it and only one thing comes to mind as having some semblance of reason…but it still values Dan Moore feelings over Broderick Jones development. And that doesn’t make sense. 

Maybe they are grooming our first round OT to be our long term swing tackle 🙄

I agree, it’s weird and I don’t think you’re overreacting. I also saw I think maybe it was Kozora say that Frazier has been struggling with bull rushes from Fehoko and bigger DTs in general while Herbig has been impressive. It’s early, and I’m not overreacting to that one report, but still not great. This line needs as much continuity as going into the season as it can get.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Just odd….

This is all about Jone's ego.  Best 5.  Lets figure it out