Around the League 2024

textaz03

On 10/8/2024 at 4:12 PM, textaz03 said:

WRONG POSITION JERRY AND STEVEN!!!! Need RB and DLine help like asap!! 

Being from the area, I watched a lot of Denzel Mims at Baylor. Honestly at the time he looked like a first round pick. The guy comes from a known D1 football family here in Texas. He’s 6’3” and ran a 4.38 with a 38.5 inch vert at the combine. 

He had over 1,000 yards and 8 TDs as a true sophomore at Baylor. As a senior he was over 1,000 with 12 TDs. That year he was 7/125/1 against Texas, 6/92/2 against Oklahoma, and 5/75/1 against Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. 

The problem is his heart doesn’t seem to be in it, and he’s super soft. Like Amari Cooper would look hurt after every catch and go to the sideline for a few plays, he does the same thing. But he isn’t near the route runner and doesn’t have Coopers hands. He doesn’t do anything that requires toughness well(blocking, beating the press, making contested catches). I don’t believe Dallas is the best place to foster grit, tenacity, heart, and competitiveness. If someone could, Mims has an elite skill set. 

Edited by DaBoys

I'm not a believer of Spencer Rattler yet, mostly because of what @plan9misfit said to me in another thread. And I certainly respect his opinions and he's proven his knowledge over years here and he definitely watches more college ball than I do, given I barely watch my alma mater Notre Dame outside of a few key matchups and rarely watched my local Rutgers. Though now living in TX I am trying hard to make an effort to watch Texas Tech and TCU...anyway...

that all said ..

I keep using my computer and watching some of these throws over and over again that he made today. I am a bit impressed by how natural he looks doing what he does. Rolling out and throwing off platform (which is kind of essential in modern NFL). Making a swift Hi-Lo read, another modern NFL essential. Getting the ball out quickly. Getting the ball out with pressure in his face and taking the hit. The placement based accuracy more so than the key hole accuracy. All things that really translate to NFL play. He really just has something to him that I like. 

And I really did think for a mid round guy that he was someone Dallas should look at. I said a few times leading into the draft, on here, that he was someone to watch in my opinion. A lot of what he does are essential NFL tools nowadays and that translates really well to NFL starter. 

Like plan told me though, it is 1 game. And I'm tempering my expectations because anytime I toot my own horn early, it backfires and I look silly Lol 

Yet still I can't help but rewatch some of these throws and go hmmm. New Orleans really might have something. Maybe not something special or overly gifted. And he never wowed me with the college film I watched. It was more of a "you know. That looks like an NFL throw" sort of deal. More so than when watching Daniels and thinking man, this guy could be special. 

Just thinking out loud I guess. But I'll be very interested to see what he does the next time he is out there. Cause I was pretty impressed with how a lot of his basics translated today, even in such a big loss.

Also! Very interested to see what Minnesota does about Darnold. I told Jets fans back home for 2 years not to label him a bust yet. And he's living up to expectations now that he has solid coaching and a cast around him that allows him to play to his element - distribute the ball wisely, play safe, play smart, execute the game plan, and don't play hero. Reminded me a ton of Carson Palmer, who even at his successes in Arizona, often went overlooked for how good he was. With McCarthy in the wings, I'm curious to see what they do. Do they pay Darnold knowing what he is, or do they gamble on McCarthy in hopes he can be special and not just the epitome of old school successful QB? 

Personally I think if Darnold continues on this track, you pay him. The team around him is too good to roll the dice if you don't have to. And McCarthys best traits are essentially what Darnold is doing for them now. So why go with the unknown when you have the proven commodity at that point?

Edited by Dallas94Ware

Jaguars start fire sale 

Trade DLineman Robertson-Harris to Seachickens for a 2026 6th rounder

6ft5in 290lb lineman 2 sacks and 5 solo tackles on the season 

With a career of 19 sacks and 198 total tackles, in 8 years. 

this is what Jerry and Steven need to be doing, get creative on these trade compensations to bolster this team!! 

3 hours ago, textaz03 said:

Jaguars start fire sale 

Trade DLineman Robertson-Harris to Seachickens for a 2026 6th rounder

6ft5in 290lb lineman 2 sacks and 5 solo tackles on the season 

With a career of 19 sacks and 198 total tackles, in 8 years. 

this is what Jerry and Steven need to be doing, get creative on these trade compensations to bolster this team!! 

I wonder what it would cost for one of the jags RBs?

52 minutes ago, Northland said:

Bills and Jets. Flag festival.  I turned it off.  Checked the box score this morning.  22 combined penalties for 204 yards.  Worse than a pre season game.  The NFL is becoming unwatchable.

I certainly get what you're saying. Curious though, when you say the NFL is unwatchable are you referring to the refs, the players, or both. Cause the refs certainly have their moments, but last night many of those flags were legit. Sometimes these multimillion-dollar pros just screw the pooch pop warner style.

27 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Did you guys see that the Browns got for Amari Cooper?
They gave Dallas a 5th and a couple years later, flipped him for a 3rd lol. 

After giving up the 27th pick(totally worth a 1st) and giving him a $100m deal. 

Cooper: 1st and 3rd, $100m

Dallas: 5th rd pick

Presented to you by HoF’er Jerry Jones, LMFAO

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

I certainly get what you're saying. Curious though, when you say the NFL is unwatchable are you referring to the refs, the players, or both. Cause the refs certainly have their moments, but last night many of those flags were legit. Sometimes these multimillion-dollar pros just screw the pooch pop warner style.

Its primarily the refs.  Gotta let players play.  Although last night was like a pre season game from the players perspective. A lot of procedural type calls.  Regardless that many flags does nothing to help the pace of the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

Jerry is a freaking moron of a GM!!! 

Your point goes without saying.  That being said Cooper will thrive in Buffalo.  The way he runs such crisp routes combined with a QB like Allen is a great tandem.  Dare I say Cooper has never played with a QB as good as Allen.  Great move by Buffalo.