Packers extend QB Jordan Love (4 years, $220M, $155M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

13 hours ago, squire12 said:

I think Dallas is either paying Dak close to $60M per year, or hoping that Trey Lance develops and will re-sign for cheap 1-2 years

From the little I've seen on the Dallas camp front on Twitter, doesn't sound like the Trey Lance experience it going well

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Soko said:

Pretty sure his void years would toll on 2028, in that case. Meaning $55M (in void) + the $15M in dead cap, good for a $70M hit in 2028. 

Either that, or I have it wrong and the void years would just remain as they are and toll in the corresponding years. So that’s still paying $55M+ over the next three years for a guy who isn’t on your team.

EDIT: And Love’s got rolling guarantees that toll in future years.

I might be wrong, but I believe that the Packers could opt to pay out the option bonuses at the time rather than spreading them out.  They won't obviously.  But if they release him after the 2027 season, they'll be on the hook for the $15M remains from the signing bonus plus 3 years of $14.2M and one year of $6.3M in the void years.  That puts it at $63.9M in dead cap, so the Packers would only save less than $10M, but they'd almost certainly J2 him and spread that cap hit over 2 years.

On 7/27/2024 at 11:10 AM, squire12 said:

Not sure where the cutoff of how many games becomes a proper sample size that would then make the deal OK to do.  for those who have taken an issue with the small sample size, I did not see any suggestion as to how many more games would meet the threshold.   

A second season so teams have tape on a players strengths/weaknesses and game plan accordingly. 

Love would have gotten this contract on the open market as we saw QB needy teams wanting a young guy. As a Raider fan we couldn't even sniff the top 6 guys as all were gone before pick 13 and Falcons took one who is an older rookie even though they just paid Cousins bank...Welcome to the NFL

I think the "you need a second season" thing is mostly about when what a guy is doing to win is something that happens outside of structure or involves unusual circumstances.  Things like "can he find the open receiver quickly and make an accurate throw" or "can he read a defense" aren't necessarily things that you need to see a huge sample size in order to figure out out if he can do it.  After all, defenses are trying new things to disguise coverage constantly (Love honestly does the "diagnose the defense when they shift immediately after the snap" thing better than Rodgers did.)

But the main thing is that the reason he's getting an extension now is that he's been in the building doing the work the whole time.  If there were serious questions about his work ethic and his ability to learn etc. they probably would have spotted it by now.  There aren't really parallels for the whole Love thing since nobody except Green Bay does the "sit the first round QB for three years" thing.

• Like 2

So I'm reading that Love had like 8 good to great games.  Meaning he had like 9 poor to bad games.  Then it is 9ish poor halves.

Did Love have bad halves?  Or did his HC/OC have bad halves?  Or was his offensive skill players in year one or two, simply inexperienced? 

Or was it a combination?

I'm not thrilled to have to sign him to that large of a deal after one year either.  But...it is what it is.  GB drafted him and developed him, and this was the ultimate goal for them.  That being having Love show that he is a franchise QB.  Heck, they gave him that placeholder deal last year just to evaluate him in game situations.

So, he did it with, checks notes...first year starter at RT, mid round draft pick.  First year starter at LT, 7'th round pick.  Pretty solid to great LG, 2nd round pick.  Meh 2nd round pick at center.  Meh right guard as a mid to late round pick.

Aaron Jones was injured for most of the year.  Dillion behind him was meh at best.

Top two TE's were rookies.

2 second year players at WR.  3 rookies at WR.  1 UDFA and one kid taken from a practice squad.  Best WR (arguably) had hammie issues for most of the year.

Of course Love and that offense was going to struggle for a little while.  It was just so young and inexperienced.

Deal is done, it can be re-done in the future and the franchise QB is locked up.  Time to move on and see what strides these young kids have made.