Around the League 2024

dll2000

Reports “confirm” we offered a third too. They liked the falcons pick more. I don’t want to trade and pay for a 32 year old anyway 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I never played QB, but I can’t imagine that the footwork thing is in any significant way tied to how fast he does (or doesn’t) go through his progressions. Sure, make him more comfortable, but he still has to see it and throw it, and even in year 1 he struggled to do that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I never played QB, but I can’t imagine that the footwork thing is in any significant way tied to how fast he does (or doesn’t) go through his progressions. Sure, make him more comfortable, but he still has to see it and throw it, and even in year 1 he struggled to do that. 

Also he didn't look great last week, so it's an odd time to publicize that article

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Reports “confirm” we offered a third too. They liked the falcons pick more. I don’t want to trade and pay for a 32 year old anyway 

While Judon was a guy I felt it might be worth pursuing but unless Poles had plans to offer a better deal Judon may have been just as unhappy in Chicago as Reddick is in NY.  Atlanta sent a top 100 pick with no agreement for an extension in place.  How is Judon gonna be any better off in Atlanta or Chicago unless his deal is extended with more guaranteed money?

We may be far better off to have not made the trade.

22 hours ago, Ty21 said:

yea, Im always skeptical of these post-mortem reports. Im sure we were interested, and NE may think we are a better team, but we are in a much tougher division. We could go 10-7 and miss the playoffs, while the Falcons go like 8-9 and win the division on a tiebreaker.

Im just saying it seems too simple that it was choosing between 3rds and they chose the Falcons

19 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yup.

Yes, changing throwing motion or footwork can make you think about those things and that is one more thing to think about.  

But, is footwork was never main issue for him.   You nailed it.  He needs to make his read and pull the trigger.   At last stop he was still trying to see guys come open and throw it in that order.

Not how it works at NFL level.  At every other level yes, if you have talented WRs.  You can do that because coverage isn't that great.  

So he holds ball too long and that results in too many negative plays and he doesn't make enough wow plays to overcome it. 

To date.

52 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

yea, Im always skeptical of these post-mortem reports.

Agrred. There are so many malleable reporters, so you can float any kind of rumor you want to make your fresh deal look better. Just say the Washington Generals were matching your offer and it's an excuse if it looks bad later. 

We'll see how it works out

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 10:43 AM, Sugashane said:

Seeing Connor Williams get only 1 year $6 mil deal shows his knee was WAY worse than we were hoping. I'd have happily pulled the trigger on 1 year/$10 mil just for the chance to lock him up if he was healthy and improving later but with Jenkins and Davis already injury prone I definitely see why Poles was not pursuing too. 

I was all in on getting Williams in here for this season, but as your saying the $6m is telling.

I know Im getting way ahead of myself but I am starting to wonder; is Pole's maybe biding his time to go sn@tch up Creed Humphrey this coming offseason...

Yes I know he has to stay healthy, has to make it to free agency, and we would have to pay a boatload for him. But if you have the rest of your guys locked up, and a bunch of young cheap talent as well, that is a guy who could completely transform the OL. Especially since he is likely a guy who Poles scouted and pushed for in his last draft there

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I was all in on getting Williams in here for this season, but as your saying the $6m is telling.

I know Im getting way ahead of myself but I am starting to wonder; is Pole's maybe biding his time to go sn@tch up Creed Humphrey this coming offseason...

Yes I know he has to stay healthy, has to make it to free agency, and we would have to pay a boatload for him. But if you have the rest of your guys locked up, and a bunch of young cheap talent as well, that is a guy who could completely transform the OL. Especially since he is likely a guy who Poles scouted and pushed for in his last draft there

I have to think Humphrey will get an absolute bag. At some point they’ll rework Mahomes’ contract to guarantee him more money and buy more flexibility. 

42 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I have to think Humphrey will get an absolute bag. At some point they’ll rework Mahomes’ contract to guarantee him more money and buy more flexibility. 

Yea, that $66m cap hit for ‘25/‘26 isn’t sticking around for Mahomes 

But the Chiefs will be looking at paying possibly 3 starting OL this offseason. Creed may stay there, but this may be the final go for this iteration of the Chiefs, especially if they do pull off the 3-peat. And who knows what they have to do in order to reset this coming offseason

If we believe Wright is the guy at RT, if Braxton is good enough till we draft/develop another LT and we like some of the cheap vet Guards, why know go all in on who some claim is now the best Center in the league?

Or maybe Colman Shelton is the guy and we extend him?

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yea, that $66m cap hit for ‘25/‘26 isn’t sticking around for Mahomes 

But the Chiefs will be looking at paying possibly 3 starting OL this offseason. Creed may stay there, but this may be the final go for this iteration of the Chiefs, especially if they do pull off the 3-peat. And who knows what they have to do in order to reset this coming offseason

If we believe Wright is the guy at RT, if Braxton is good enough till we draft/develop another LT and we like some of the cheap vet Guards, why know go all in on who some claim is now the best Center in the league?

Or maybe Colman Shelton is the guy and we extend him?

I’d be all for giving Humphrey the bag. He’s awesome. I just don’t think KC is going to let him leave. If they think like you and me, they’ll pay him before Trey Smith, and they’ll also do something with Thuney’s $26M 2025 cap number with either an extension or release ($16M savings after 2024). He’s still really good, but he’s also 33.

Shelton (or Bates) proving to be a rock solid C for us would be a huge long term development.