2024 Commanders Transaction/Roster Move Tracker

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Just cut Mariota for crying out loud. 

Right? It seems like they’re doing him a favor by putting him on IR so he gets paid. It makes no sense to me why he even made the team with the other backup QBs showing more.

I'm not a big Mariota fan, but what he provides for Jayden Daniels off the field as a mentor?

Is way more important, than what he provides on it.

So is it worth 8M or whatever Mariota makes, to be there for Jayden Daniels when he has questions, needs help, needs advice besides what the coaches can provide?

Than I'm all for it.

We've waited decades for 1 QB to lead this team as a Franchise QB & have not been able to find them.

While teams like Green Bay, Kansas City, New England, Pittsburgh & others have spit out Hall of Famers.

He's only on a 1-year deal. Maybe we can hire him as a QB's coach or something next season & keep him here, while adding his replacement behind Jayden.

Because if we lose Jayden at all, our season is screwed anyways regardless whomever you guys want as Jayden's backup.

And if It takes Mariota to be here, for Jayden to be good?

Then let's give him a 10-year extension. 😂 

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

Because if we lose Jayden at all, our season is screwed anyways regardless whomever you guys want as Jayden's backup.

I think this is a very key point.

It’s fine to say Mariota isn’t an NFL caliber QB anymore, and maybe that’s true. But the primary alternative is Jeff Driskel, who is older and never was an NFL caliber QB — so why people care so much is beyond me.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think this is a very key point.

It’s fine to say Mariota isn’t an NFL caliber QB anymore, and maybe that’s true. But the primary alternative is Jeff Driskel, who is older and never was an NFL caliber QB — so why people care so much is beyond me.

The difference is it doesn’t cost $10M to have Driskell here. So if they both suck anyway and if they have to play we’ll get similar results why then hell would we pay one of them that much? I get at this point and with how much we still have the cap space doesn’t matter but it seems we’re wasting a roster spot having three QBs. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

The difference is it doesn’t cost $10M to have Driskell here. So if they both suck anyway and if they have to play we’ll get similar results why then hell would we pay one of them that much? I get at this point and with how much we still have the cap space doesn’t matter but it seems we’re wasting a roster spot having three QBs. 

It isn’t your money, and clearly with the amount they are rolling over, it’s not affecting the on-field product this year.  It is very clear that they are valuing him as a mentor, and that’s it.  If Daniels goes down and we have to start anyone else, we’re likely looking at 1.1 

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It isn’t your money, and clearly with the amount they are rolling over, it’s not affecting the on-field product this year.  It is very clear that they are valuing him as a mentor, and that’s it.  If Daniels goes down and we have to start anyone else, we’re likely looking at 1.1 

Who cares that it’s not my money? We all talk about scenarios that don’t involve our money. Now that’s a viable excuse for keeping a bad back up QB that we don’t need on the roster? 

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I don’t really want Mariota mentoring Daniels. Dude was a bust who can’t make nfl throws and he quit on his teammates in Atlanta. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Who cares that it’s not my money? We all talk about scenarios that don’t involve our money. Now that’s a viable excuse for keeping a bad back up QB that we don’t need on the roster? 

It’s more of a comment that we didn’t spend $100m on the guy or more, it’s not a big deal in the scheme of the franchise.  I don’t understand why you have your pitchforks out about it.  He’s literally one of the few people who can relate to Daniels with the expectations that comes with being a #2 pick and being billed as a franchise savior.  If they valued that, then so be it.  It’s for a year and a fraction of the cap space.  Daniels also appeared in the past to be a fan of Mariota, so that helps too.