Matthew Judon traded to Falcons for 3rd-round pick

Forge

Makes sense since he was Unhappy and wanted a new contract, go play for a pass rush desperate team with a higher win ceiling and a theoretical new contract. Solid trade for both sides.

I have a feeling the Patriots were more than willing to pay him to keep around, but he severely out priced himself in order to get one last payday. We'll see what the Falcons give him.

Edit: I think it's north of 20M AAV

Edited by Nex_Gen

50 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Big takeaway was that the Bears were looking to add him.  They are really trying to upgrade the pieces now there, which is very interesting.  I like their aggressiveness since the deal for Montez Sweat.  

Anyway, I am a little surprised that the Patriots made this trade, at this specific time.  Usually, this is a draft day trade.  

Dont the Bears have loads of cap space coming up?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/matt-judon-trade-grades-patriots-send-disgruntled-star-pass-rusher-to-falcons-for-day-2-pick-per-report/

Atlanta Falcons: B-

The Falcons are going for it after missing the playoffs in each of the past six seasons. That's commendable. They signed quarterback Kirk Cousins to a four-year, $180 million deal with $100 million guaranteed after wandering through quarterback purgatory post-Matt Ryan. Now, they addressed their biggest remaining need (pass rusher) with this move. It also doesn't seem like a coincidence that the Falcons haven't reached the postseason since 2016 and that the last time they had a player hit double-digit sacks in a season -- Vic Beasley with 15.5 -- also occurred in 2016.

Their grade being a B- comes down to a few factors despite addressing a critical need. One, Judon is 32 years old and coming off a season in which he suffered a season-ending injury in Week 4. Two, they don't have him signed to a new deal already, which worked out horribly in the aforementioned case of Reddick and the Jets. Reddick is demanding a trade from New York despite being acquired this offseason because he doesn't have a new contract in place. Three, whenever they do sign him to a new deal, they will likely be paying him in two or three years from now for past production. 

New England Patriots: B+

The Patriots are rebuilding, so this trade makes all the sense in the world. Why does a team that went 4-13 with its worst scoring offense (13.9 points per game) since 1992 need to be paying an upper-tier but old pass rusher a bunch of money in the immediate future? New England selected North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye third overall in the 2024 NFL Draft, and it signed Jacoby Brissett to a one-year deal this offseason to act as his mentor. 

This is an organization that needs as much draft capital as possible to give its new regime of Wolf and Mayo what it needs to put together a competitive club over the next few years. The only reason the Patriots grade isn't higher is because they couldn't get a first- or second-round pick. Overall, solid work by Wolf and the New England front office to get a Day 2 pick back for an aging, injured player. 

9 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Dont the Bears have loads of cap space coming up?

I just think it’s interesting to see them loading up like this via trade.  It’s not something you see a lot, and it’s a very strategic bet that they believe Caleb Williams is that dude.  They are clearly banking on a run right now with him under a rookie contract before they’ve got to pay him.  

12 hours ago, Soko said:

Second year SRP Keion White, Deatrich Wise, and run stopper Anfernee Jennings are probably going to pick up most of this slack. Josh Uche still in on third downs. Oshane Ximines probably in the mix there too, considering he’s been a “camp star”. 

Man, losing Judon sucks. Wish him well in Atlanta.

Relying on Oshane Ximines to do anything except be caught out of position on outside runs is a bad idea.

This Patriots roster is really bad. I was already dubious of any claims that their defense would be 'sneaky good' this year, but after losing Barmore and Judon, I'm fully out on them. And that's despite loving Jabrill Peppers and Christian Gonzalez.

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Relying on Oshane Ximines to do anything except be caught out of position on outside runs is a bad idea.

This Patriots roster is really bad. I was already dubious of any claims that their defense would be 'sneaky good' this year, but after losing Barmore and Judon, I'm fully out on them. And that's despite loving Jabrill Peppers and Christian Gonzalez.

They already missed Judon and Gonzalez last year and were a good defense. Barmore with his clots sucks big time, though. Zero idea what that timeline looks like. 

NE’s defense isn’t going to be bad. I realize a bunch of the names like Tavai, Peppers, Dugger, Jon Jones, Bentley, and especially guys on the DL aren’t household (nor should they be) but it’s a fundamental defense that pretty consistently plays higher than the general public expects, even without stars. The secondary’s a little thin, but is hopefully going to be healthier than it was last year without it’s top three corners for most often season. DL’s going to be a question without those two though, for sure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soko said:

They already missed Judon and Gonzalez last year and were a good defense. Barmore with his clots sucks big time, though. Zero idea what that timeline looks like. 

NE’s defense isn’t going to be bad. I realize a bunch of the names like Tavai, Peppers, Dugger, Jon Jones, Bentley, and especially guys on the DL aren’t household (nor should they be) but it’s a fundamental defense that pretty consistently plays higher than the general public expects, even without stars. DL’s going to be a question without those two though, for sure. 

I was already dubious of the defense with Bill gone. I understand Mayo was essentially the DC last year, but Bill wasn't without influence on his own team. Whenever you lose an all-time great, it doesn't matter how old they are, you're going to feel it. 

They won't be bad, but I think any talk of them being a top-5, 10 defense now should be out the window.

53 minutes ago, Soko said:

NE’s defense isn’t going to be bad. I realize a bunch of the names like Tavai, Peppers, Dugger, Jon Jones, Bentley, and especially guys on the DL aren’t household (nor should they be) but it’s a fundamental defense that pretty consistently plays higher than the general public expects, even without stars. The secondary’s a little thin, but is hopefully going to be healthier than it was last year without it’s top three corners for most often season. DL’s going to be a question without those two though, for sure. 

I guess I'm curious about the defense sustaining its high level with Bill gone. I know Mayo was working under him so its not completely new but it has to be different id think

56 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I was already dubious of the defense with Bill gone. I understand Mayo was essentially the DC last year, but Bill wasn't without influence on his own team. Whenever you lose an all-time great, it doesn't matter how old they are, you're going to feel it. 

They won't be bad, but I think any talk of them being a top-5, 10 defense now should be out the window.

13 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I guess I'm curious about the defense sustaining its high level with Bill gone. I know Mayo was working under him so its not completely new but it has to be different id think

Totally fair. Until we see it, it’ll be a big question mark. 

The (blind?) optimism behind the defense is the continuity not just from Mayo, but the DL coach is the new DC (Covington), and the roster turnover is basically zero. Takitaki as LB3, now Judon gone (who did miss most of last season), and Barmore with his clots, unfortunately. Other than that, it’s the same guys, most of which have been in the building for more than 2 seasons. Also hoping for some development between Christian Gonzalez, Keion White, further development from a few guys coming off career years (Tavai, Peppers), and better health in the secondary. Yes, development of young players + health are 99% of every team’s reasons for optimism, lol. 

We’ll have to see. Losing Bill will be a factor here and the team does lack star power overall. At the end of the day, even if the defense takes a step back I’m kind of “meh” on it. It’s a developmental year, the (possible) change in the offense will be much more important significant to the outlook than that of the defense, I think.

• Like 2

That is a massive need for the Falcons, but what if Judon cannot stay healthy.  If healthy he is a great player but he is only a one year rental and if he has a good year will require far more money than he is getting right now.  

Massive need though especially with Trice out for the season, that was probably the biggest weakness on the roster.  Now only issue is paying Kirk Cousins $180 mil for 4 years 😁  They are right there with the Bucs for that division, if Barton is a baller at center and McCollum can hold down that other CB spot, Bucs are very solid across the board and a very tough physical team.