53 Man Roster & Practice Squad Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

This reeks of the 76ers “process” 2.0. They got rid of any young player that had a chance of improving and helping us win games this year and replaced them with a bunch of middling low ceiling journeyman free agents. This is a roster designed to suck. 

If this was truly ‘The Process 2.0’ then I think you’d see a lot of the remaining talent on the defense kicked out the door like Jon Allen and Payne, and you wouldn’t have seen the pair of LBers brought in either.    

I can’t believe there are a lot of folks on here defending Rivera’s draft classes.  They were truly awful, even going back to Carolina where he had some semblance of control.  The only one I don’t understand is Stromberg, but even then, he appeared to have an injury designation release.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If this was truly ‘The Process 2.0’ then I think you’d see a lot of the remaining talent on the defense kicked out the door like Jon Allen and Payne, and you wouldn’t have seen the pair of LBers brought in either.  

Funny you say that, cause we actually drafted Allen's replacement this year. And we spent our 2nd highest draft pick on a player coming off of an injury and likely can't contribute much to winning this year, which is classic Process. We also spent free agent money on two off ball linebackers, which the rest of the league has decided is not a good way to spend your money if you want to win games. 

11 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I can’t believe there are a lot of folks on here defending Rivera’s draft classes.  They were truly awful, even going back to Carolina where he had some semblance of control.  The only one I don’t understand is Stromberg, but even then, he appeared to have an injury designation release.  

The bolded is what I have argued. Very few of his picks panned out. I seriously think people are overrating the players that Paddleboat brought in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Funny you say that, cause we actually drafted Allen's replacement this year. And we spent our 2nd highest draft pick on a player coming off of an injury and likely can't contribute much to winning this year, which is classic Process. We also spent free agent money on two off ball linebackers, which the rest of the league has decided is not a good way to spend your money if you want to win games. 

Again, if it was The Process, Allen would have been traded before now, and the money would not have been spent at all, but rather on some kind of extensions for players currently in-house.  

The Process doesn’t equate fully to the NFL, but I am OK with a year like this to evaluate the talent that’s here.  But when you draft 9 players, that’s 20% of your active roster.  And the new regime also wants to see what they have in those guys.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

This is stupid. He was a highly regarded prospect and we have no other young talent on the interior 

Injured and we tried to trade him. If he was so "highly regarded" we would've been able to find a trade partner instead of cutting him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Ekeler is one year removed from being a top 5-7 RB.  If he can attain part of that level again, that’s a huge weapon for Daniels.  Wiley does not have that type of ceiling.  

At 29 I hope he does. He's never had a 1000 yd season in rushing, surprising being a featured back. Hope you’re right. 

4 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

This whole roster is getting turned over. Some of those players may go on to be successful elsewhere, but lets not act like everyone player can be successful in every scheme. 

None of the players released were household names. 

Exactly. It's not like we were releasing Pro Bowlers left and right. We were 4-13 with them. We lost with them, we can lose without them. I'm willing to wait on judging the roster until I see it play the first month or so (but I reserve the right to criticize or cheer the play on the field). We'll see what we have in terms of a roster by November. 

Lots of people forgetting that it is very rare that new regimes come in and do a one-year turn around (*). Even when Rivera got here, I had said if he tore the roster down and built it back up that it would be a 3 year deal (2 if we were lucky). He ended up going for it all in year 1 and getting the division during an NFCE dumpster fire year and then was stuck "riding the tiger".

(*) people point to the Texans last year but forget that for a year or two before they drafted Stroud, they had been beefing up the roster and then had amassed draft capital to use to get Stroud and a few other playmakers last year. It takes time to do this right.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

At 29 I hope he does. He's never had a 1000 yd season in rushing, surprising being a featured back. Hope you’re right. 

Can’t really look at those rushing yardage totals anymore, it’s really a combined effort on the ground and through the air.  

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Exactly. It's not like we were releasing Pro Bowlers left and right. We were 4-13 with them. We lost with them, we can lose without them. I'm willing to wait on judging the roster until I see it play the first month or so (but I reserve the right to criticize or cheer the play on the field). We'll see what we have in terms of a roster by November. 

Lots of people forgetting that it is very rare that new regimes come in and do a one-year turn around (*). Even when Rivera got here, I had said if he tore the roster down and built it back up that it would be a 3 year deal (2 if we were lucky). He ended up going for it all in year 1 and getting the division during an NFCE dumpster fire year and then was stuck "riding the tiger".

(*) people point to the Texans last year but forget that for a year or two before they drafted Stroud, they had been beefing up the roster and then had amassed draft capital to use to get Stroud and a few other playmakers last year. It takes time to do this right.

The Lions turnaround is a much better example of finally finding a good GM/Head Coach and tearing it down to the struts and rebuilding from the ashes.  They got lucky with finding their QB already established (in a sense) with Jared Goff, but Johnson has still coached him up very well.  

Also with the Texans and Lions, they both have great offensive coordinators.  

Our fanbase has to look at the Lions for the right blueprint here, and I totally understand why they don’t want to do that, but it’s setting yourself up for unrealistic expectations.  

• Like 2

And look guys, I get that something similar to The Process, or a rebuilding year, or whatever you want to call it, is gonna suck.  Especially after what we’ve been through with Daniel Snyder during his entire tenure.  

But I can speak to this as a long-suffering Orioles fan…….the day we hired Mike Elias, I put a lot of faith in him.  He rewarded it immediately with some decisions and hires, but a lot of it was made clear a year later when he cleared house of a lot of scouts and people in the development system who never got with the new program.  

All of these things take time to do, and to do them right.  It’s an evaluation year not just on the field, but off it for those people in the front office.  Peters has to evaluate who is getting with the program, and who is not, and weed those people out.  

It sucked to watch five years of losing…….but to have the team we are poised to have for the next 5-10 years was worth the wait, including some long-term changes that aren’t even bearing fruit immediately like the investment in the Caribbean talent pipeline.  

It’s going to suck to watch a year of losing in 2024, but this is setting us up for a great future starting in 2026 when it all comes together.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Can’t really look at those rushing yardage totals anymore, it’s really a combined effort on the ground and through the air.  

It really depends on the type of runner you have and the offensive scheme you’re running. 

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He’s not the featured back he’s more of a 3rd down guy. He’ll be catching more passes than rushing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I don't see anyone defending Rivera's draft class.  I think we are questioning the moves that are questionable.  For instance keeping Jeremy McNichols, a RB who is turning 29 that never was and then getting rid of a young guy like KJ Henry who has showed out every chance he has got.  

Obviously, more cuts are coming.  Both the WR room and cornerbacks are stunningly unimpressive.  

By the way, one piece of real positive news is neither Coleman or Newton were put on IR.