53 Man Roster & Practice Squad Discussion Thread

19 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I just do not understand how you can go into a season with an OL and receiver corp built this way while developing a young QB? I know its early but I'm starting to worry a little bit about this group. Not full on Rivera worried like I was very early with him but just a tick worried. 

I think there is merit to your concerns.  I can't believe how much faith we are putting into Dyami Brown.  I understand him being on the roster, but slotted as a starter?  These guys need to watch some game tape.  The WR room is the worst I can remember.  It is certainly fun to root for these underdog guys, but there is a big gap here.

The cornerbacks are just bad.  If Forbes doesn't wake up, everyone is going to quickly figure out that if they can hold the pocket on us, they can pick us apart.

These two big problem areas are glaring.  There is time to improve, the problem is the holes are multiple players deep and we are healthy at this point.  

I am also worried about the oline.  Particularly, that they are putting way too much faith into Coleman being both healthy and him actually being good.  It will be interesting to get a legit injury report.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Is it? You're very vocal in your concern about how it isn't. 

FA? Sure, but we don't know what they fully tried to do and didn't. I wish it was better addressed too, but again, I can't expect everything to be fixed. 

Not replacing Samuel when he walked in FA stunk, but again, I can't say what they did or didn't try and do. Sounds like they also gave Jahan a shot to be that guy and it didn't work out. I don't think they fully INTENTIONALLY made it worse. Things just didn't work out like they hoped. 

A lot of JD's biggest development issues are on JD (sliding, learning the pocket pressure). If he's also as good as we hope he is, he might make or lift up some of the talent around him. It's not like every great QB sits behind an elite o-line - Mahomes, Lawrence, Dak, etc. 

Signed two starters, drafted a possible third, yes. Again, this ties to having to spend it all on everything else, because just about everything was a need. 

Signed two starters is a stretch. Allegretti has never been a starter in his career. He's another backup in the vein of Andrew Wylie that we decided to make a starter without a competition. If Rivera had done this we'd be killing him for it. Do I hope it works out? Absolutely. I'm not expecting to but I hope it does. 

Lucas, whom they plan to start at LT, couldn't beat out the guy they cut earlier in the off-season. Coleman is already hurt. If Wylie goes down we're essentially screwed which is beyond pathetic because he sucks. The only solid starters on this OL are Biadisz and Cosmi. Outside of that everyone else is a question mark. 

Sitting behind an elite OL is one thing. Sitting behind a bad OL, like we have, is going to be rough. Its not a way to develop a young QB. 

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Is it? You're very vocal in your concern about how it isn't. 

FA? Sure, but we don't know what they fully tried to do and didn't. I wish it was better addressed too, but again, I can't expect everything to be fixed. 

Not replacing Samuel when he walked in FA stunk, but again, I can't say what they did or didn't try and do. Sounds like they also gave Jahan a shot to be that guy and it didn't work out. I don't think they fully INTENTIONALLY made it worse. Things just didn't work out like they hoped. 

A lot of JD's biggest development issues are on JD (sliding, learning the pocket pressure). If he's also as good as we hope he is, he might make or lift up some of the talent around him. It's not like every great QB sits behind an elite o-line - Mahomes, Lawrence, Dak, etc. 

Signed two starters, drafted a possible third, yes. Again, this ties to having to spend it all on everything else, because just about everything was a need. 

Ya but nothing worked out. I can’t see how anyone sees this off-season as anything other than a total disaster. We started by signing our 3rd choice at Head Coach, someone who was passed over by every other team during the hiring cycle, and on top of that he’s another boring retread with tired ideas. He brought his whole bunch of lackeys from Dallas to run the defense while he handed the keys to Kingsbury on offense, who’s on his 3rd job in 3 years and pretty much no one in the nfl wanted. We then let several of our starters walk in FA and replaced them with a bunch of questionable additions, most notably along the Oline. The draft we took the QB who likes to get hit and was probably a 3rd round pick before he won the Heisman, when has that ever gone wrong. Then we took a DT at the top of the 2nd when it’s literally the only position on the roster we didn’t need that high plus he was hurt. Followed that up by a CB who looks good but may be limited by his height and a TE whose best position may be as a #2 TE/FB role. They did nothing at LT other than take a guy in the 3rd round almost every draft analyst said predraft needed to move to Guard. Then we trade Howell and Dotson for peanuts, cut Henry, Daniels and Stromberg for nothing. It’s been a total **** show 

Just now, lavar703 said:

Signed two starters is a stretch. Allegretti has never been a starter in his career.

We signed him to be a starter. You interpret it how you wish. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

He's another backup in the vein of Andrew Wylie that we decided to make a starter without a competition.

Probably because he in fact had been a starter his entire career. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

Lucas, whom they plan to start at LT, couldn't beat out the guy they cut earlier in the off-season. Coleman is already hurt. If Wylie goes down we're essentially screwed which is beyond pathetic because he sucks. The only solid starters on this OL are Biadisz and Cosmi. Outside of that everyone else is a question mark. 

I don't disagree. It is what it is. Again, couldn't fix everything all at once.

Just now, lavar703 said:

Sitting behind an elite OL is one thing. Sitting behind a bad OL, like we have, is going to be rough. Its not a way to develop a young QB. 

It's not how I want to do it either, but it's not the only way it gets done. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya but nothing worked out. I can’t see how anyone sees this off-season as anything other than a total disaster.

Had to check to see who wrote this first 🤣

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We started by signing our 3rd choice at Head Coach, someone who was passed over by every other team during the hiring cycle, and on top of that he’s another boring retread with tired ideas.

Not the coach I wanted, agreed.

He brought his whole bunch of lackeys from Dallas to run the defense while he handed the keys to Kingsbury on offense, who’s on his 3rd job in 3 years and pretty much no one in the nfl wanted.

Didn't really want Kingsbury either. 

We then let several of our starters walk in FA and replaced them with a bunch of questionable additions, most notably along the Oline.

Fuller and Samuel sting, sure. Who else on the o-line besides Leno? Don't say Charles or Gates. 

The draft we took the QB who likes to get hit and was probably a 3rd round pick before he won the Heisman, when has that ever gone wrong.

I wanted Maye but was fine with Daniels. League seemed to really like him. 

Then we took a DT at the top of the 2nd when it’s literally the only position on the roster we didn’t need that high plus he was hurt.

Never liked the pick either. 

Followed that up by a CB who looks good but may be limited by his height and a TE whose best position may be as a #2 TE/FB role.

Here we part. These two picks I loved. 

They did nothing at LT other than take a guy in the 3rd round almost every draft analyst said predraft needed to move to Guard.

Yep.

Then we trade Howell and Dotson for peanuts, cut Henry, Daniels and Stromberg for nothing. It’s been a total **** show 

No one claimed Daniels or Stromberg, Howell we got more value out of than Fields, Jones, Wilson, etc. etc. Dotson I would have kept.

Again, remains to be seen what really comes out of all of this. This all couldn't get done in one year though. Hindsight might be "disaster". Then we just fire everyone in 3 years and try again. 

• Like 2

I'm worried about WR, too.

I mean, the only 2 guys on the roster who have ever been successful in an actual NFL game that counts, is Scary Terry & Zacheus.

Maybe 3, if you count Jamison Crowder.

That's it!

Pringle sucks...never done nothing

Luke McCaffrey is a rookie

& Dyami? As much as we all like him & balls out in preseason games? Has been virtually invisible when they count.

We need to dump Pringle & get us a dude that can play. Like, proven NFL experience.

Hell Noah Brown, would be an upgrade.

I like our TE room.

And I WAS happy about our RB room, till we dumped Rodriguez & Wiley for Jack Nicholson.

We are not a better team, when we had 90 guys vs 53.

THAT'S my concern.

We better get our head out of the sand & start improving this roster, while we can.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Pringle sucks...never done nothing

;)

10.06.2019 - 6 rec 103 yards and a TD

12.26.2021 - 6 rec 75 yards 2 TDs

He's an all-star ace!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

We signed him to be a starter. You interpret it how you wish. 

Probably because he in fact had been a starter his entire career. 

I don't disagree. It is what it is. Again, couldn't fix everything all at once.

It's not how I want to do it either, but it's not the only way it gets done. 

I mean, Wylie was cut three times before he ended up on the Chiefs where he became a spot starter. He saw the field mainly due to injuries and when they finally gave him a real shot at being their starter he posted a horrible season and then Rivera rewarded him for it. We saw how that went this past season when he was the human turnstile here. 

I worry about Allegretti because of what we experienced with Nick Gates and Wylie. Taking guys that move all around the OL and making them a fixture. Is it going to work? I hope so but I'm not counting on it. I don't think he was some secret stud the Chiefs had been hiding on their roster. 

I get I'm the resident pessimist but I'm not saying I hated everything they did. I do understand you can't fix everything in one off-season but you would think if your plan is to take a QB with the second pick in the draft that substracting from your weapons and OL would not be the ideal move.

Posted (edited)

Allegretti started 13 regular season games over the course of 4 seasons. 

He started 9 games for the Chiefs in 2020, including 4 playoffs games in 2020.

Last year he was a starter in the playoffs for the Chiefs at LG.

I trust Adam Peters to know what Allegretti is more than anyone on social media or here, at least for the time being.

I mean hell, Peters watched Allegretti go against the 49ers DL in the Super Bowl & then a month later chose to sign him which suggests if Peters was still in San Francisco that he would have signed Allegretti to be one of the 49ers starting OGs too.

Edited by turtle28

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Allegretti started 13 regular season games over the course of 4 seasons. 

He started 9 games for the Chiefs in 2020, including 4 playoffs games in 2020.

Last year he was a starter in the playoffs for the Chiefs at LG.

I trust Adam Peters to know what Allegretti is more than anyone on social media or here, at least for the time being.

I mean hell, Peters watched Llegretti go against the 49ers DL in the Super Bowl & then a month later chose to sign him which suggests if Peters was still in San Francisco that he would have signed Allegretti to be one of the 49ers starring OGs too.

So he started 9 games in 20’. He’s had 13 total starts in his career. So the chiefs liked him so much that in the last 3 seasons they gave him 4 starts combined? And we signed him to be our unquestioned/unchallenged LG and nobody sees an issue with this?  Like, am I in the wrong here? If I am you guys can tell me lol. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

So he started 9 games in 20’. He’s had 13 total starts in his career. So the chiefs liked him so much that in the last 3 seasons they gave him 4 starts combined? And we signed him to be our unquestioned/unchallenged LG and nobody sees an issue with this?  Like, am I in the wrong here? If I am you guys can tell me lol. 

The Chiefs drafted Trey Smith in the 6th round and got lucky that Trey Smith became a Pro Bowl OG essentially right away, so that's why Allegretti didn't start. It wasn't that he wasn't capable of starting.

How was Allegretti unchallenged?

One of our favorite draft picks from last year Ricky Stromberg was competing for that position along with Michael Deiter who started most of last season at center for the Texans and we still had Chris Paul who beat out our boy Stromberg! 

Edited by turtle28