The official Watson is WASHED, I told you so thread

MWil23

7 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

My hope has been that Watson just retired, which isn't realistic but hope doesn't have to be. It also isn't football related.

Otherwise, yeah unless there is a career ending injury or incarceration that happens we are stuck with him until we no longer have the core of players we currently have. I would have been happy for him to be incarcerated for the crimes he already committed but I can't hope he commits more.

As far as Garrett/Chubb etc.. getting titles elsewhere, I don't really hope for that. If it happens I would be happy for them but it isn't anything I would hope for. My hope would be they win one here with someone other than Watson. Looking like a hopeless hope but we made the playoffs last year without Watson so it's possible I'll be rooting for Winston in the playoffs this year. With Chubb's new bionic knee that allows him to run a sub 4 40 and leap 20 feet in the air, anything is possible.

At this point, I can’t see a situation where Nick Chubb is in his prime in Cleveland with anyone other than Deshaun Watson at quarterback. So I would rather he win elsewhere than flounder here. Obviously best case scenario we find a path to success. I’m not seeing that path in the immediate future though and I see a rebuild around the corner.

9 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

My hope has been that Watson just retired, which isn't realistic but hope doesn't have to be. It also isn't football related.

Otherwise, yeah unless there is a career ending injury or incarceration that happens we are stuck with him until we no longer have the core of players we currently have. I would have been happy for him to be incarcerated for the crimes he already committed but I can't hope he commits more.

As far as Garrett/Chubb etc.. getting titles elsewhere, I don't really hope for that. If it happens I would be happy for them but it isn't anything I would hope for. My hope would be they win one here with someone other than Watson. Looking like a hopeless hope but we made the playoffs last year without Watson so it's possible I'll be rooting for Winston in the playoffs this year. With Chubb's new bionic knee that allows him to run a sub 4 40 and leap 20 feet in the air, anything is possible.

What’s wild is Jameis was accused of similar things and he’s viewed so differently.  Maybe it’s just his personality or he’s grown up and matured or a little of all of it.

All I really want in a QB is a guy who’s competent, doesn’t have to be elite, who doesn’t act like a frat boy or a rapist. Just like, a regular guy who’s pretty decent at QB and is capable of being decent for like a decade.  I feel like other teams seem to find that guy regularly, but we haven’t in my entire adult life. Like, not for 35 years at this point. Insane tbh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

And goodness gracious what a world we live in when Jameis Winston is the guy we are hoping for as the quarterback because he’s less of a sex pest.

He’s since married, had kids, seems to have found religion and is a complete different dude by all accounts than the guy he was at 22 or whatever.

I did **** I’m not proud of at that age and I’d like to think I’m an ok person now.  People change and grow and mature.  

if they want to of course.  Not sure Watson has tbh.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What’s wild is Jameis was accused of similar things and he’s viewed so differently.

As far as I know Winston wasn't accused of being a serial predator. I don't know the specifics of his history but it seems easier to root for a guy with 1 accusation rather than 20 something.

Ben became beloved with like 3.

I'll always despise this regime for messing up a legitimate championship window by butchering the most important position in all of team sports with a junk QB who cost us a boatload of early round picks, cap space, goodwill and just made us unlikeable even to a large portion of loyal Browns fans. 

We'd be so much better off starting any of Mayfield, Brissett, Flacco, Winston or just about any backup QB.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What’s wild is Jameis was accused of similar things and he’s viewed so differently.  Maybe it’s just his personality or he’s grown up and matured or a little of all of it.

All I really want in a QB is a guy who’s competent, doesn’t have to be elite, who doesn’t act like a frat boy or a rapist. Just like, a regular guy who’s pretty decent at QB and is capable of being decent for like a decade.  I feel like other teams seem to find that guy regularly, but we haven’t in my entire adult life. Like, not for 35 years at this point. Insane tbh.

I think social media and the MeToo movement plays a huge part of it. Plenty of players (including QBs) have been accused (or even convicted) of heinous things yet haven't received a fraction of the hate that Watson has.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Half the people crying for Baker now are the same who wanted him immediately replaced. Can't make this **** up.

I think it's natural to look at previous players. There is a lot more talk of Flacco than Baker. Brissett has even been mentioned. Pretty much anyone besides DTR and PJ look pretty good right now. At least to complain about.

Doesn't make them realistic though. Baker created tension. I'm not saying he personally created it but it happened with him on the roster so they had to move on. Flacco could still be here but as much excitement as he brought he also turned the ball over at a crazy rate. Imagine the chants if he was still on the roster, he couldn't be brought back if you had a clue Watson would falter and these guys aren't idiots, they knew there was a chance at some point in the season (probably were hoping it wouldn't be week 1).

So yeah I'm sure there were people not happy with Baker that see him as a better option now. Watson has been making it easier on the next guy at this rate. Say we don't extend him, in 2027 I doubt we'll hear much about wishing Watson and his 74 million cap hit were back under center.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

There is a lot more talk of Flacco than Baker. Brissett has even been mentioned

I said it repeatedly last year. Stefanski wants a traditional pocket passer.

That means he doesn’t like Baker, Watson, DTR, etc.

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

As far as I know Winston wasn't accused of being a serial predator. I don't know the specifics of his history but it seems easier to root for a guy with 1 accusation rather than 20 something.

Ben became beloved with like 3.

2 instances iirc.  Far cry from 26 or whatever though for sure.

7 hours ago, DawgX said:

Half the people crying for Baker now are the same who wanted him immediately replaced. Can't make this **** up.

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

3 years ago: “Baker ain’t it.  We’re never gonna win with him as our QB. He’s immature, can’t read a defense, too short……”

now: “I always loved Baker. I can’t believe we traded away such a wonderful QB just for this scrub.”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Doesn't make them realistic though. Baker created tension. I'm not saying he personally created it but it happened with him on the roster so they had to move on.

He came across as immature and somewhat hostile/aggressive/confrontational.  He struggled against good defenses and didn’t seem to progress much towards the end of his time here.

he left here and bounced around to two other spots, was humbled, started working with a QB coach, etc and has found some success in Tampa.  Playing the NFCS 6/17 games does help as opposed to the AFCN though, and he still has had some issues against better defenses.  He will absolutely eat up bad teams though, he did that here too.

Flacco could still be here but as much excitement as he brought he also turned the ball over at a crazy rate.

He was a lot of fun and saved our season last year, but he beat a lot of bad teams playing yolo ball.  That’s not sustainable nor is it going to win games vs good teams.

Imagine the chants if he was still on the roster, he couldn't be brought back if you had a clue Watson would falter and these guys aren't idiots, they knew there was a chance at some point in the season (probably were hoping it wouldn't be week 1).

all off-season fans would have wanting it, all preseason they’d have heard it, and yesterday the chants would have been deafening.

So yeah I'm sure there were people not happy with Baker that see him as a better option now. Watson has been making it easier on the next guy at this rate. Say we don't extend him, in 2027 I doubt we'll hear much about wishing Watson and his 74 million cap hit were back under center.

Don’t kid yourself, some of these folks will be complaining about the QB forever.

7 hours ago, DawgX said:

I think social media and the MeToo movement plays a huge part of it. Plenty of players (including QBs) have been accused (or even convicted) of heinous things yet haven't received a fraction of the hate that Watson has.

I mean, the people who hate Watson for what he’s accused of off the field aren’t wrong. One or two sexual assault accusations are horrific. 26 or whatever is almost inconceivable or comparable to other players.

We knew of this, went out and traded a ton of picks for him and gave him a quarter billion guaranteed.  It’s a scummy move by any measure tbh.

• Like 2