53 Man Roster Cuts & Discussion.

GW21

3 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

If he sucks at playing FB, it doesn't matter, because we don't actually use a FB anymore, we have a wing player. Its different.  I would hope the team cut him for blocking poorly on the wing, not for not being able to do something we don't do anyway.  

Let's call Juice a wing player then. Willis does not block well enough to be a wing player/juice fill in, therefore does not have the versatility that would have kept him on the roster, so he was an easy cut to make. 

Is that an acceptable explanation to you? 

• Like 1

DE depth is scary thin.

I'd like for to put in a claim for Snowden from the Raiders, who was cut by then.

College biases aside, thought he played well against us last game and he's a intriguing player with his length.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

It goes back to looking at what players actually do for the current team, not how well they can run the triple option.  The formation examples are from like 1996.  

no, it was me saying i don't care where you line up in the backfield and providing examples of such. 

3 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

If he sucks at playing FB, it doesn't matter, because we don't actually use a FB anymore, we have a wing player. Its different.  I would hope the team cut him for blocking poorly on the wing, not for not being able to do something we don't do anyway.  

If you don't want to call it a fullback, thats fine. Whatever you want to call it. 

Bottom line is I think Willis' way to stay on this team was to be a viable fill in or replacement for Juice should the need arise. And if he can't do that (and it doesn't seem like he can), then I think his value to the team is non existent. 

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

Let's call Juice a wing player then. Willis does not block well enough to be a wing player/juice fill in, therefore does not have the versatility that would have kept him on the roster, so he was an easy cut to make. 

Is that an acceptable explanation to you? 

You just laid it out much better than I did from jump. I think if I had said it like this from the start, there would be less confusion. 

Just now, N4L said:

Let's call Juice a wing player then. Willis does not block well enough to be a wing player/juice fill in, therefore does not have the versatility that would have kept him on the roster, so he was an easy 

Just now, Forge said:

no, it was me saying i don't care where you line up in the backfield and providing examples of such. 

If you don't want to call it a fullback, thats fine. Whatever you want to call it. 

Bottom line is I think Willis' way to stay on this team was to be a viable fill in or replacement for Juice should the need arise. And if he can't do that (and it doesn't seem like he can), then I think his value to the team is non existent. 

This is devolving into semantics, but whetw a player lines up matters.  It's how football positions are determined. It's yhe difference between a RB and a QB.  I agree with the general point, but also we should not look at Juice like we looked at Rathman, Neil etc.  

It's far more like an off ball TE than a down hill lead blocker.  We should look at the required skils through the proper positional lense. 

2 minutes ago, adamq said:

GWBM_o2X0AAgnDl?format=jpg&name=medium

why did they designate Lenoir as a DB, separating him from the CBs? Has to be some kind of franchise tag or contract shenanigans, no?

GWBMTgxXMAA-j7R?format=jpg&name=medium

That is super weird

• Like 2

So two guys to IR, who do we re-sign? I have to imagine one is a tight end? Either saubert or Willis? 

I'm not quite as interested in the second spot since someone has to go when Trent comes back

My guess would be saubert and ya sin?

3 hours ago, adamq said:

why did they designate Lenoir as a DB, separating him from the CBs? Has to be some kind of franchise tag or contract shenanigans, no?

It is 1000% to manipulate the franchise tag next year. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Forge said:

So two guys to IR, who do we re-sign? I have to imagine one is a tight end? Either saubert or Willis? 

I'm not quite as interested in the second spot since someone has to go when Trent comes back

Tired: re-signing saubert

Wired: jauan Jennings at TE

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Forge said:

My guess is Saubert and a Tackle as we have zero backups right now with Trent holding out.