Surveilling the sophomore QBs

14 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

This is not a statement on Levis one way or the other, but can we resist the urge to say "(rookie) qb should be better bc look at Stroud"? It might be a long time before we see that again.

Not when the the majority of them claim he’s just as good as they are. You would think Will is at their level by reading the thread.. He’s got the lowest floor and ceeling by far. Richardson could get framed for murder and would still have a better career than Levi’s. Dudes the oldest QB in the south as well. He’s no where near Tlaw and the general consensus is that he’s been a huge bust/disappointment. Will Levis reminds of QBs like Mitch, Sam Howell, Taylor Henicke and Desmond Ridder. Guy who show they can make an NFL throw but can’t make NFL reads at a consistent level.’

Bryce will get toasted this year, unless the refs throw flags every time he's touched again since it's impossible for anyone to touch him and not touch his head/neck area. 

Richardson looks rough, but given he missed virtually all of last year, he's effectively a rookie in terms of development. High ceiling, but totally TBD this year. 

Stroud can take a small step back (no glaring reason to think he will though) and still be good. Texans probably win the division. 

Levis is interesting. He has good weapons. Probably not a finished product just yet, but he could go either way. 

O'Connell won't play until the back half of the season. He looked better than he did last year though. Starting Minshew over him is pretty criminal. 

Hooker likely doesn't play much and falls into the run of the mill backup QB category going forward. He'll likely need to get his shot elsewhere. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 9:29 AM, El Ramster said:

I broke down the film. He’s Johnny Sins 2.0 

Not picking an argument, but is the hate personal or is it play?

A popular discussion has been what makes Anthony Richardson such a sure thing with a small sample size last year and what makes Levis a failure with signs of being able to do it in his sample size.

You pointed out a nice throw from Richardson. It could be pointed out some great throws from Levis, Young, even O'Connell. 

Just interested in seeing more reasons. 

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Not picking an argument, but is the hate personal or is it play?

A popular discussion has been what makes Anthony Richardson such a sure thing with a small sample size last year and what makes Levis a failure with signs of being able to do it in his sample size.

You pointed out a nice throw from Richardson. It could be pointed out some great throws from Levis, Young, even O'Connell. 

Just interested in seeing more reasons. 

I saw Richardson do things many guys in the NFL can’t do. I saw him make plays on his own and off scrip. The play, tape and ability is all there for AR. It’s about his health which is a huge concern. But for how raw he is and was supposed to be, he was the best looking QB out the bunch from the limited of time. 

AR in 4 games had 7Tds. But it felt like he only played in 2 because he had to leave due to injury. Like I said, dude is basically Cam reincarnated with a Bazooka and the body of a greek god. His potential is Josh Allan. I see that am instantly hooked. I judge players based off talent. Had Levi’s thrown 23’Tds in 9 games I would have been been more fair with him. Now can he get better? Sure. Absolutely, but im more in the mindset that ballers are gonna ball no matter what.

4 TDS in 8 games is disgusting and he’s part of the issue.. Minshew would have done better. Why would I waste a year of player development in a guy who didn’t show

much? That’s where I’m coming from. No hate. 

42 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

I saw Richardson do things many guys in the NFL can’t do. I saw him make plays on his own and off scrip. The play, tape and ability is all there for AR. It’s about his health which is a huge concern. But for how raw he is and was supposed to be, he was the best looking QB out the bunch from the limited of time. 

AR in 4 games had 7Tds. But it felt like he only played in 2 because he had to leave due to injury. Like I said, dude is basically Cam reincarnated with a Bazooka and the body of a greek god. His potential is Josh Allan. I see that am instantly hooked. I judge players based off talent. Had Levi’s thrown 23’Tds in 9 games I would have been been more fair with him. Now can he get better? Sure. Absolutely, but im more in the mindset that ballers are gonna ball no matter what.

4 TDS in 8 games is disgusting and he’s part of the issue.. Minshew would have done better. Why would I waste a year of player development in a guy who didn’t show

In my forum, I'm notorious for being against crowning any QB too early. Wentz was my major one. Also, I'm big on not writing off a QB too quick. Jordan Love and Jared Goff being a couple examples. 

Of course being one that saw every snap of Levis, there were a few variables that came into play with him. WRs, horrible offensive line, predictable play calling, and health. 

When the draft was happening, I felt that Richardson would likely end up being the most productive of the QBs in time. So I agree with you about his potential. 
However, I'm puzzled by the national feeling that Richardson is a sure thing based on so little experience in the NFL and in college. 

But, for me it's a "we shall see." 

22 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

In my forum, I'm notorious for being against crowning any QB too early. Wentz was my major one. Also, I'm big on not writing off a QB too quick. Jordan Love and Jared Goff being a couple examples. 

Of course being one that saw every snap of Levis, there were a few variables that came into play with him. WRs, horrible offensive line, predictable play calling, and health. 

When the draft was happening, I felt that Richardson would likely end up being the most productive of the QBs in time. So I agree with you about his potential. 
However, I'm puzzled by the national feeling that Richardson is a sure thing based on so little experience in the NFL and in college. 

But, for me it's a "we shall see." 

I don’t believe in Love. He was aweful vs the Niners. We don’t know if he’ll ever get back that deep. Goff is ok, as a rams

fan he has weakness and strength. He can’t carry a team on his own. He has to have everything around him to work. And there’s nothing wrong with that. Det has built a power house. But it’s the NFL it’s an imperfect world. I think AR ceiling is higher than Lamar. Simply because he has a cannon and isn’t scared to throw. Lamar can’t make reads and struggles fitting the ball in a tight window. It’s preference for sure. I do think Bryce Young has a great year this go. He got a lot of hate but was in a bad situation. I think he shines. I love potential. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

I don’t believe in Love. He was aweful vs the Niners. We don’t know if he’ll ever get back that deep. Goff is ok, as a rams

fan he has weakness and strength. He can’t carry a team on his own. He has to have everything around him to work. And there’s nothing wrong with that. Det has built a power house. But it’s the NFL it’s an imperfect world. I think AR ceiling is higher than Lamar. Simply because he has a cannon and isn’t scared to throw. Lamar can’t make reads and struggles fitting the ball in a tight window. It’s preference for sure. I do think Bryce Young has a great year this go. He got a lot of hate but was in a bad situation. I think he shines. I love potential. 

It took me years to acknowledge Lamar. Lol

I still don't think he is as great as people pump him up to be. He has numbers. Which is what fuels a lot of it. But to me, he is limited and like you said playing straight up QB (reading defenses and pulling the trigger) remain something I think he can improve on greatly. No problem with a team depending on him to win. But needs a team to win a championship. 

Which brings me back to Richardson. I can understand someone hitching their wagon to him, but I think he will only carry a team so far. I think he is a piece of the pie, rather than the engine like a Mahomes (not many like Mahomes. lol ). 

QB declarations are funny to me. They are very fickle. Some were anointing Mariota for us one year, the next year the same "analysts" were ripping him. 

Go figure. 

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

It took me years to acknowledge Lamar. Lol

I still don't think he is as great as people pump him up to be. He has numbers. Which is what fuels a lot of it. But to me, he is limited and like you said playing straight up QB (reading defenses and pulling the trigger) remain something I think he can improve on greatly. No problem with a team depending on him to win. But needs a team to win a championship. 

Which brings me back to Richardson. I can understand someone hitching their wagon to him, but I think he will only carry a team so far. I think he is a piece of the pie, rather than the engine like a Mahomes (not many like Mahomes. lol ). 

QB declarations are funny to me. They are very fickle. Some were anointing Mariota for us one year, the next year the same "analysts" were ripping him. 

Go figure. 

I knew Marriott was as. Like I said my best friend is a titans fan. He still swears Jake Loker would have been better than luck. 

On 9/5/2024 at 7:35 AM, El Ramster said:

Ok that’s a bit disrespectful for Levis lol.

On 8/28/2024 at 7:53 AM, notthatbluestuff said:

Bryce Young

Optimistic. I think the Panthers added some talent to the offense at every position, albeit many younger guys. Hopefully some modern stability to the playcalling. 

CJ Stroud

Expectations are basically for him to enter the Allen/Burrow/Lamar tier, I think. Not sure he hits that peak this season, if only because after every QB’s breakout season (usually their first full season starting, minus Josh) there’s some statistical regression. I think he plays really well (far better than any of the other sophomores) but doesn’t enter the elite talk quite yet. 

Anthony Richardson

Cautiously pessimistic. He had some exciting moments last season but dude was maybe the most raw QB I’ve ever seen (for a first rounder anyway), even beyond Allen. Not sure he goes beyond being an athlete than can throw, more so than being a QB. Also curious to see if he can take less hits as the season goes. That said, I do like Steichen and the talent on offense overall, so I’m ready to be wrong here.

Will Levis

Cautiously optimistic. 

Aidan O'Connell

Eh, pessimistic I guess. Not expecting much out of him, but he’s gonna have the weapons if he could put it together (assuming he gets time over Minshew).

On 9/4/2024 at 7:00 PM, El Ramster said:

And what did he do in the other 8 games?

oh yeah he threw 4 Tds in 8 games. Very impressive for some 1942 football.. 

Wait he’s young, So was Cj. If you’re going to talk about him as good QB let’s compare him to good QBs: if you think he’s a back up then let’s talk about him as back up. There’s no in between. Specially in this NFL when it’s easy to put up big numbers. Will Levis at best is a temu Trevor Lawrence. I’ll die on his hill.. I’m not even convinced he’s better than Tanne. 

It’s crazy cuz TN has some really nice weapons on offense. I’m a big fan of spears. I’ll start him over Pollard all day every day.

he showed some juice. Their receiving core is very good. Wasted on Mayo man. Trade for

Flacco. He’ll be cooking in this offense. He’ll actually get the ball down field. Btw, falcons were as as. Anything done to them last year was just eww. It’s like me flexing that I beat an amputee in a foot race. That’s all day baby. 

rodewald-maam.gif

Just admit you didn't watch a single game and you only look at the stats. It's cool. 

Dude was running for his life throwing the ball to Nick Westbrook-Ikhine and Chris Moore all year. Forget the damn stats...

Flacco lmao. You can't be serious. He's a walking turnover with the mobility of a mailbox. 

22 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

Just admit you didn't watch a single game and you only look at the stats. It's cool. 

Dude was running for his life throwing the ball to Nick Westbrook-Ikhine and Chris Moore all year. Forget the damn stats...

Flacco lmao. You can't be serious. He's a walking turnover with the mobility of a mailbox. 

I saw Joe Burrow get sacked 9 times vs yall. He still made throws. QB line is an excuse.. If you want say he was held back because of coaching I can hear that. But you can’t claim bad oline yet rep his game vs Atlanta? Did it not apply there? Are we picking and choosing subjective measures?