Week 1: VIKINGS (0-0) at Giants (0-0)

swede700

55 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Nothing but 7 step drops to see what Darnold is made of

Norv Turner tried that sort of thing. When Rick didn't (couldn't?) get the offensive linemen needed for that scheme, and Norv couldn't do what he wanted to do (thanks Zimmer?), he just resigned. 

The Giants are reuniting with cornerback Adoree Jackson on a one-year deal, according to multiple reports. Jackson, 28, spent the past three seasons with the Giants after four seasons with the Titans. He had remained a free agent since March but said he hoped to re-sign with the Giants.

He has familiarity with Giants defensive coordinator Shane Bowen as both were in Tennessee at the same time.

Jackson started 14 games last season, totaling 63 tackles, one interception, eight passes defensed and a forced fumble. In his seven-year career, Jackson has recorded 376 tackles, four interceptions, 56 pass breakups and five forced fumbles.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/adoree-jackson-to-rejoin-the-giants-on-one-year-deal

Cornerback Adoree’ Jackson only signed with the Giants late last week, but he may find himself playing a substantial role against the Vikings in this week’s season opener.

The Giants brought Jackson in after watching the likes of Deonte Banks, Nick McCloud, Dru Phillips, Cor’Dale Flott, and Tre Hawkins take snaps at cornerback this summer. The veteran likely wouldn’t be back with the team — he spent the last three years with the Giants — if they were thrilled with what they saw from that group and head coach Brian Daboll didn’t discourage speculation that Jackson will jump right to the top of the depth chart.

Daboll: “We’ve got to get him out here and ramp him up and see where he’s at. We’ll take it day by day with how much to play him."

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/brian-daboll-well-take-it-day-by-day-on-how-much-adoree-jackson-plays

Vikings coach Kevin O’Connell said after receiver Jordan Addison injured his left ankle that it wasn’t serious. Monday’ practice indicates Addison has a chance to play in the season opener.

Addison was on the field with his teammates and was participating during the portion of practice open to the media, according to beat writers. The Vikings do not have to release a practice report until Wednesday.

Addison was carted off after leaping for a contested pass in an Aug. 14 practice.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jordan-addison-returns-to-vikings-practice

Aaron Jones: "I feel like the awareness is heightened. Everybody's a little more locked in. You know, camp is long, so I feel like toward the end of camp, it's monotonous, some of the guys are – not tired, but drained a little bit. And so now it's a fresh kick. Like, 'Hey, we've had a couple days off, and now we get to jumpstart; the real thing's here.' "

Blake Cashman: "Just finally getting to put all our work together and showcasing it not only for ourselves but for our fans and the league. Nobody is really talking about the Minnesota Vikings, but a team that's focused and prepares well is a dangerous team, and we have a lot of pieces where we can be successful and have a great year, so I look at it as we have everything to gain and nothing to lose."

Christian Darrisaw: "It's game week. It's finally here. All the buildup that led to it, to be here in September and the week coming up, the first one of the year, we're definitely excited to go out as a full team and show who we are this year. We've got to go do the work, it's really not talking about it. It's about doing it, so we just have to put it on the film and show what we're about."

Josh Metellus: "Excitement is through the roof. It's trying to make sure we calm down and then ramp it up to hit it at the right time because Sunday is a couple days away. Everybody is juiced to go out there, put it all together and make plays. Personally, I'm really excited to build off what I did last year."

"I would say the best part of reaching Week 1 is being able to go and watch the offense. We go against each other all offseason. It will be good to go and cheer them on. Another big thing, playing with new guys, we've got a bunch of new guys who are part of this defense. I'm excited to go out there and play with them."

vikings.com

Edited by vike daddy

Things have been headed in this direction throughout the offseason and training camp, but now it is finally official: Head coach Brian Daboll will call offensive plays for the Giants in 2024.

He confirmed the news at his Tuesday press conference.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/brian-daboll-confirms-hell-call-giants-offensive-plays-in-2024

@y*so*blu   @Acgott, for NYG fans is this a good thing or a bad thing?

57 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Things have been headed in this direction throughout the offseason and training camp, but now it is finally official: Head coach Brian Daboll will call offensive plays for the Giants in 2024.

He confirmed the news at his Tuesday press conference.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/brian-daboll-confirms-hell-call-giants-offensive-plays-in-2024

@y*so*blu   @Acgott, for NYG fans is this a good thing or a bad thing?

That's complicated. I suspect Daboll always had veto power on the offense, but when we struggled early last season, he took the playcalling out of Frank Kafka's hands entirely. The team didn't improve much, as we were still one of the worst offenses that was ever fielded in modern NFL history. But at the very least, we didn't suffer any more shutouts like in Week 1 against Dallas.

Still, it can't be ignored that the team saw it's greatest success under Daboll in '22 when he concentrated fully on head coaching duties. So the bottom line is, who knows?

I hope both teams play well, especially the Giants.

• Like 1