Sam Cosmi signs four year extension

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Do they send Rivera his ring now?

I forgot the player, but reminds me of that one time they listed to Bruce Allen all his screw ups and he was like "but how about that Alfred Morris pick?" or something like that. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

4 year 74 mill with 45 mill guaranteed

This is a solid contract IMO AAV 18.5 mill for a young pro bowl guard.

great job Peters

Wow big pay day for a guard.  I think Cosmi has always been good.  I never thought he wowed, but my real concern for him has always been his health.  If he can stay healthy this will work out well for us.

I do very much like getting contracts done early.  If you like a guy and believe in him, than it makes sense.  

Love this. 

From my perspective, I really wanted to see them pay someone — the alternative, which is just hoarding unused cap space like a dragon, is very nice for ownership’s pockets but not particularly beneficial to us as fans.

It will be really nice to head into the offseason without a big hovering question mark in the form of one of our best players heading into FA. Not worrying about whether to use the franchise tag or let him test the market, all that BS we’ve been doing for years. 

And I’m pretty high on Cosmi. I don’t think he was an elite OG last year, but I think he was really good. And I think he might look better with superior players next to him. At the very least, Biadasz is a significant upgrade to his left. Hopefully by the middle of this extension, at least, there will be a major upgrade to his right as well.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

AND right now , I don't see a "who's next ?".. Bates ??

A bunch of guys on short deals on the defense. But with the exception of Wagner, they’re pretty much all guys that we’re hoping show enough to even be considered for another deal:

Jamin Davis

Dante Fowler

Clelin Ferrell

Jeremy Chinn

Benjamin St-Juste

Michael Davis

Darrick Forrest

I’d be pleasantly surprised if we look at that list in January and think we really want to keep even two of those dudes around. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

A bunch of guys on short deals on the defense. But with the exception of Wagner, they’re pretty much all guys that we’re hoping show enough to even be considered for another deal:

Jamin Davis

Dante Fowler

Clelin Ferrell

Jeremy Chinn

Benjamin St-Juste

Michael Davis

Darrick Forrest

I’d be pleasantly surprised if we look at that list in January and think we really want to keep even two of those dudes around. 

Yes, very happy with TWO- just don't see it . 

10 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

That's top much cheddar IMO. 13M is where I would have been. Maybe the G market takes off from here...

Landon Dickerson of the Eagles got the same deal but only $29 mill guaranteed. Cosmi seems a bit of an overpay but maybe we're ahead of the game for once.

Just by way of comparison, here are a few other guards who have signed long-term deals recently:

Landon Dickerson (PHI): 4/$84M ($21M AAV), $50M gtd

Chris Lindstrom (ATL): 5/$102M ($20M AAV), $63M gtd

Robert Hunt (CAR): 5/$100M ($20M AAV), $63M gtd

Mike Onwenu (NE): 3/$57M ($19M AAV), $36.5M gtd

********** COSMI **********

Quinn Meinerz (DEN): 4/$72M ($18M AAV, $45M gtd

Jonah Jackson (LAR): 3/$51M ($17M AAV), $34M gtd

Kevin Dotson (LAR): 3/$48M ($16M AAV), $32M gtd

I put them in order of AAV, never sure if that’s the right approach. But that’s roughly where Cosmi’s deal fits in amongst these dudes. 

Edited by e16bball

4 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

That's top much cheddar IMO. 13M is where I would have been. Maybe the G market takes off from here...

That would put him at 14th, which is probably too low on new money going out. Being 5th now, he'll be 7th by next year probably, etc etc. We laughed about Scherff's a couple of years ago and he's even below that already. 

5 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Landon Dickerson of the Eagles got the same deal but only $29 mill guaranteed. Cosmi seems a bit of an overpay but maybe we're ahead of the game for once.

This does come off as a barometer for the young players.  I can also see them using up some of the excess cap we have right now to front load it with some of that guaranteed money.  

Given what FA contracts for guards have been, this is very reasonable for a player who is going to be a leader in the locker room for some time. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, e16bball said:

Just by way of comparison, here are a few other guards who have signed long-term deals recently:

Landon Dickerson (PHI): 4/$84M ($21M AAV), $50M gtd

Chris Lindstrom (ATL): 5/$102M ($20M AAV), $63M gtd

Robert Hunt (CAR): 5/$100M ($20M AAV), $63M gtd

Mike Onwenu (NE): 3/$57M ($19M AAV), $36.5M gtd

********** COSMI **********

Quinn Meinerz (DEN): 4/$72M ($18M AAV, $45M gtd

Jonah Jackson (LAR): 3/$51M ($17M AAV), $34M gtd

Kevin Dotson (LAR): 3/$48M ($16M AAV), $32M gtd

I put them in order of AAV, never sure if that’s the right approach. But that’s roughly where Cosmi’s deal fits in amongst these dudes. 

I think it's the simplest for quickest take sake. Then you start looking at guarantees.