Week 2: San Francisco 49ers at Minnesota Vikings

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Too early to say. We started out 3-4 in 2022 and lost to the friggin bears who had the #1 pick that year (granted, lance started and it was a monsoon game). 

Shanny could adjust, Purdy could get his groove back, Trent & Aiyuk could get in sync, CMC/Greenlaw/Hufanga/Pearsall can come back healthy and be difference makers, etc. Lots of potential still with the squad. But you never know 

But what do you see though? Little the same from last year? Better or worse in some areas? How has bootleg Troy P been at safety? 

On 9/17/2024 at 10:58 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Tough loss but I appreciate you posting this. It's nice to see Shanny's thoughts on the game too.

Good luck the rest of the way. The NFC is probably wide open this year but I think you guys are still the #1 team in the conference.

45 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Tough loss but I appreciate you posting this. It's nice to see Shanny's thoughts on the game too.

Good luck the rest of the way. The NFC is probably wide open this year but I think you guys are still the #1 team in the conference.

Destroy Green Bay.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I was interested to see the numbers on how badly Darnold and Jefferson killed the few blitzes that we sent. I will say that we are not a clever blitzing team and I didn't see many interesting looks that would indicate a sea change in Darnold's underlying skills. But if that sea change has come, Sam could certainly be a better quarterback than he had ever been previously.

I said before the game that the key was to pressure Darnold - he has never been even close to league average under pressure. And we couldn't do that at all. The blitzes were too obvious, I didn't see the looping stunts that are often our answers to such problems with our four man pass rush. And our current personnel up front is Bosa and a bunch of dudes that don't win one on ones any more (or never really made their living winning one on ones in Leonard Floyd). Floyd is a useful enough cleanup player if you can generate the pressure, but we just don't have the horses any more against offensive lines with quality tackle play, imo. We'll look better against teams that don't have Darrisaw and O'Neill as bookends. I do think that it is a distinctly bad match on defense.

• Like 2